Thread: Retiring- Looking to move to SE AK- Petersburg area

Default Retiring- Looking to move to SE AK- Petersburg area

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and once I pull my last shift, I am seriously considering relocating to Alaska. I do not undertake such a move lightly, without considerable planning and research, which led me to find this forum. I am not making a half-cocked notion of living off the land, just a new place to enjoy retirement, or once I get settled, semi-retirement.

I am very interested in either the Petersburg/Wrangell area, or perhaps other decent sized towns in the same region. Not really interested in Juneau.

What I would like to do is purchase a small parcel of land and build a 1100-1300 SF log home, simple, comfortable and accessible. I really do not want to live right in town per se, but close enough that its not a major journey when needed. My wife and I both love to fish and hunt, myself mostly bow hunt.

My questions are these-

First, I have looked at a lot of maps etc of the Mitkof Island area, is most of the land on these islands privately owned, or is there publicly accessible areas for hunting, camping and exploring the outdoors?

How difficult is it to find property with decent soil base for building on? What about fresh water? Is fresh water available via a well, or is another means necessary?

What is the availability of building supplies- are they available locally, or do they need to be shipped in as needed?

I am aware of the climate for this area. What is the best time to start such a construction project- I would really like to do most of the work myself, hiring some out, and perhaps hiring 1 or 2 locals to help with some of the heavier work in erecting the log framing.

While I do have many other questions, I will stick with this for now. We are looking for an area with decent hunting opportunity, deer/ bear etc, as well as fishing. I'm not opposed to being off grid, but not really looking to be totally remote or isolated.

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

Autumnarcher,

I sent you a pm

PM sent...

Visit my website: www.dougleen.com/ontheroad and start in the archives about December 2004 to see the restoration of our 1000 ft2 log cabin on Kupreanof Island, across from Petersburg. I've also built another log cabin in Jackson Hole and have restored two more log homes. We've dealt with just about every question you pose from water to access to energy. Doug

Default Petersburg

I sent you a pm but they have my email address wrong. Try me at jdb3_98@yahoo.com. Jim