Thread: Remington purchases Dakota Arms

Tennessee

Default Finally

Remington finally has a controlled feed rifle again - the first since they dropped the very fine Model 720 nearly 70 years ago!

Now perhaps they can find a way to build an affordable controlled feed rifle.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Dakota .375

Hopefully the quality won't suffer. Dakota 76 rifles are a sight to behold and man do they shoot well. The bolt stroke is like spreading butter on bread - SMOOTH! This one now sports a Leupold 1.5-5x and Talley rings/bases. Affordable = Not! Kimber Caprivi's are $3000 and not even in the same ballpark. I recently saw one in 458 Lott and the checkering on the pistol grip was messed up and the bottom metal looks cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

so long friend.... we have seen the last of the fine Dakota rifles, if Remington is going to make themenow...yuk!

Thumbs up very good rifles....

I shoot Model 70 Winchesters because I can't afford Dakota rifles. Wish I had at least 20 of them! They are superbly designed and built.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Remington finally has a controlled feed rifle again - the first since they dropped the very fine Model 720 nearly 70 years ago!

Now perhaps they can find a way to build an affordable controlled feed rifle.
    Actually they've been making the model 798 for some years now. It's a mirror image of the original Mauser 98 with CRF, and priced at or slightly below the 700 series. I was somewhat surprised they didn't take off.

Default Resource for your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviat View Post
    so long friend.... we have seen the last of the fine Dakota rifles, if Remington is going to make themenow...yuk!
    Where did you come up with the information that would lead you to believe this?

I was born and raised in Sturgis SD, know many of the folks who work at Dakota Arms including my father on a part time basis...and they are ecstatic about this. The only part of Dakota that is leaving is the guy that ran it after it was sold. Remington isn't going to drag down the quality of the Dakota line, those responsible for the craftsmanship and quality won't allow that. The previous owners * After Don and Norma* milked it for what it was worth to the point of near death. Remington sees a product worth owning, and with good business practices, like back in the day of Don and Norma Allen, Dakota will be profitable and as strong as ever.

I own a 330 Dakota in the Model 76 Classic, and after today's announcement, I would own another in a heart beat. I now know my son will have one that isn't used, but one that is his. One where he can pick out the piece of wood that he wants to be his stock...one out of 50 or 60 choices, his caliber, and have it fitted to him. D@mn I am gonna tear up thinking about my time picking out my Dakota. Yes they are spendy, but if you know a thing or two about guns you know that the craftsmanship is worth every Lincoln and then some.

I am happy man today, thank you Remington!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Murphy; 06-11-2009 at 19:16.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I'm with AkArcher on this. If Charlie is out, that's a good thing. We can't bring Don back but I'd prefer to have Dakota the way it was when Don and Norma ran the company.

The good folks at Dakota who stayed with the company through all the turmoil and continiued to make fine rifles deserve a lot of credit. I know several there and their goal was always to make the very best rifle they could make. I have a few of their rifles and no finer rifle by design or of quality was ever assembled. My 416 Murphy rifle is an example of their dedication and attention to detail of their craft.

If I could request one thing of the new ownership it would be to bring back the model 97 rifles. Lower priced, different design but with the same Dakota quality of construction. These receivers were similar to the M700 anyway but with the model 76 bolt. A wise blend of technologies and well worth the price.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I have a few of their rifles and no finer rifle by design or of quality was ever assembled. My 416 Murphy rifle is an example of their dedication and attention to detail of their craft.
    Sure would like to see that beauty some day...

AKArcher

Had this exact discussion with Ward at the Dakota booth at this year's annual SCI International Hunting Convention in Reno - he assured me at that time that manufacture of the Dakota 97 was not going to be discontinued, but perhaps something has changed since I last talked with him - but hopefully not!

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Where did you come up with the information that would lead you to believe this?

I was born and raised in Sturgis SD, know many of the folks who work at Dakota Arms including my father on a part time basis...and they are ecstatic about this. The only part of Dakota that is leaving is the guy that ran it after it was sold. Remington isn't going to drag down the quality of the Dakota line, those responsible for the craftsmanship and quality won't allow that. The previous owners * After Don and Norma* milked it for what it was worth to the point of near death. Remington sees a product worth owning, and with good business practices, like back in the day of Don and Norma Allen, Dakota will be profitable and as strong as ever.

I own a 330 Dakota in the Model 76 Classic, and after today's announcement, I would own another in a heart beat. I now know my son will have one that isn't used, but one that is his. One where he can walk in and pick out the piece of wood that he wants to be his stock...one out of 50 or 60 choices, his caliber, and have it fitted to him. D@mn I am gonna tear up thinking about my time picking out my Dakota. Yes they are spendy, but if you know a thing or two about guns you know that the craftsmanship is worth every Lincoln and then some.

I am happy man today, thank you Remington!
    I hope you are right, but when a company is bought, it is not usually the company that is bought that tells the buying company how they will run their business. It is always the buying company that tells the bought company how business will be run.

Remington is now the company that will be making the decisions, we can only hope that maximizing profit is not their only criteria.
    Last edited by Murphy; 06-11-2009 at 16:18.

It should read the american tax payer paid for it. Remingtons parent company went belly up with their car company so now they have money to spend on another arms company. My biggest gripe is they will send it overseas like a few models they bought in the past. I like Dakotas, can't afford them, but like the quailty when I shot them. I don't want them made in turkey or serbia.

Thanks for letting me vent

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Sure would like to see that beauty some day...
    No doubt! I'm sure you saw the pics, but as usual, the pictures likely dont do it justice!

Follow my logic, if a new company raises up to be a large profitable company with great designed products. Shouldn't the larger company which just bought this sound booming company copy their bussiness plan or at least allow them to continue making uninterfiered profits for both to share??!??

Seems bussiness school teaches that you must leech off the maxium profit untill the former booming bussiness is KAPOOT. And then move on to another company.

Does that some it up??

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    Follow my logic, if a new company raises up to be a large profitable company with great designed products. Shouldn't the larger company which just bought this sound booming company copy their bussiness plan or at least allow them to continue making uninterfiered profits for both to share??!??

Seems bussiness school teaches that you must leech off the maxium profit untill the former booming bussiness is KAPOOT. And then move on to another company.

Does that some it up??
    I guess I am not seeing how you are relating this to the DA acquisition...

AKArcher