Thread: scope lens covers

Default scope lens covers

I have a fall grizzly bear hunt scheduled in unit 16 b this fall and was wondering what type of scope lens cover is recommended, I feel like it will surely be one of the see thru types, if so are the clear or the yellow tinted better, thanks

I like the little rubber Scope Bikini. Some guys like the Butler Creek snap down - flip up jobs, but I prefer the other. I usually tape one side onto the scope (opposite the bolt) so I don't loose it when I flip it off the scope. It's water and dust proof as you can get. And their cheap... cheap but effective.

Default Butler Creek Flip Open

I've used these for many hunts over the last 13+ years. My scope has always been clear at the moment of truth. Only problem was a couple years back I lost the back cover while going through some thick brush on a moose hunt.

Default I bought...

from SFWA a amber intensifier screw on for my Leupold...Very Nice!
    Last edited by gogoalie; 06-10-2009 at 04:07. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I like the little rubber Scope Bikini. Some guys like the Butler Creek snap down - flip up jobs, but I prefer the other. I usually tape one side onto the scope (opposite the bolt) so I don't loose it when I flip it off the scope. It's water and dust proof as you can get. And their cheap... cheap but effective.

Ageed. These are the two options that I use, and I can find no reason to change.

Default +1

Couldn't say it better. Never taped one down, but thinking I'll start. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post

After going thru about 3 sett of the Bulter Creek plastic ones I was getting pretty frustrated. I somehow seem to have a knack for loosing the little pins out of the hinges, dont know how, I bought a scope equipped with the new Leupold Alumina covers. Holy crap freakin awesome, they are everything proof, come with a warranty and look cool to boot. they are very quiet as well. The downside to all this greatness is that they are pretty expensive, I would not have a set if they didnt come with the scope, but if you can afford them I beleive they are the best out there.

Default scope cover

I use a rubber scope cover with tether, protects well, can remove fast Joe

Default In heavy brush?

Wonder how "bikini" designs do for others in thick cover.
    The elastic on my Bushnell covers snagged while small game hunting...until one broke, so I switched to flip-up style. Is the elastic stronger on other scopes or is rough brush just a problem for them?
    The bikini, see-through design was cool though; no fuss.

Talking Butler Creek Covers

I have had good luck with the clear and yellow Butler Creeks. I file the little ears off to where there is just a little bit of one left over on my trigger hand so the cover isn't getting flipped up (and off) all the time. They don't open up even on my backpack that way. The only time I open it is to dry condensation out from snow. I put rain X on it to keep the water runnin off it and that helps too.

I was also always losing the butler creek plastic covers. I spent the extra cash and got the Leupold scope covers, will never buy any other kind again.

Default Leupold screw-ins

I too went with the Leupold screw ins a few years back and despite a few extra dollars, hands down the best i've used. It's becoming second nature flipping up the covers as the rifle is shouldered. Don't see a need for the see through cover.