Thread: Early Kenai/Russian reds

Default Early Kenai/Russian reds

I may make a day run down to the Kenai Monday or Tuesday since my Chitina trip has been put on hold. Any suggestions on good, likely places to intercept some fish heading up-river? Should I look lower river or up further? Specifics would be great, as I don't know the Kenai all that well.

Check your regs. The upper section is closed untill the 11th. Thats from the Kiley river below skilak to kenai lake. You might find a few down around soldotna
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I've heard reports of people catching them around Soldotna and up to the Kenai Keys, but I don't really know the holes or access points for the public all that well. Centennial Park and Moose River are the only places I can think of.

There's some fishable water at Bing's. It's fairly limited though.

There is also some fishing in Soldotna at the boardwalk and I believe at the park up river from there (the one that got trashed by the ice last year). I can't remember the name of it.

Oh yeah, and Bing's. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks Drifter. That probably wouldn't be too crowded yet, too.

There is a trail at Bings landing that goes downstream to a real productive spot in the rapids. Swiftwater Campground also has been producing some fish. Swiftwater is located by driving the road to the left that is just past Fred Meyers if headed into Soldotna (Keystone is the name of the road). On Funny River Road behind the Kenai River Center (across from the Soldotna Airport) is another spot that is worth checking out.
    Yes, a lot of reds went through in the last few days and a whole lot of hooligan as well.

Bing's has been very productive the last few days.

hinge have slowed down a bit. Have been taking out the boat and covering lots of water. Talked to a few people who fished soldotna creek park today and only had two fish. Have had best luck looking where fish are jumping and then stop and fish there. They don't seem to be holding up in the same spot day after day.

Has anyone been out to Bings this week?

Try Swiftwater...my recomendations and stringer says it is worth a try.