Thread: Bullet harder than normal to seat

Question Bullet harder than normal to seat

I'm working up a new load for the 325 wizbang, 180gr TSX's. Today I loaded 3 sets of 3 rounds with different powder charges. On the last set of three one of the bullets was much more difficult to seat in the case than all of the others. All brass is new winchester, full length sized and trimmed. Should I be concerned about this one round possibly generating higher than normal pressure? It is one of the 3 loaded at max. But, I'm not sure which one now. I'm thinking about just pulling all 3. Am I being paranoid for no reason??

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm working up a new load for the 325 wizbang, 180gr TSX's. Today I loaded 3 sets of 3 rounds with different powder charges. On the last set of three one of the bullets was much more difficult to seat in the case than all of the others. All brass is new winchester, full length sized and trimmed. Should I be concerned about this one round possibly generating higher than normal pressure? It is one of the 3 loaded at max. But, I'm not sure which one now. I'm thinking about just pulling all 3. Am I being paranoid for no reason??

I'm always concerned about one round being different in any way. Maybe it is a .338 diameter....hey it has happened. Most likely it was a case that didn't get chamferred like all the others. After trimming deburr and chamfer all cases. You probably did this but may have missed one. If this is the case it probably wouldn't cause higher pressures.

I've had the best of luck with the WSM brass from Winchester and Norma. I've used it and abused it, necked it up and down and fired many maximum pressure loads through it. I wish all the brass was that good. But any way check the bullet diameter and case mouth closely and being paranoid is better than being rambunctious when making ammo.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Jim. Ya, I just don't feel good about it. I should have just put it in the rejects bin but didn't. It's sitting there with the other three. I suspect you are right about the chamfering. I probably missed it. When I started to seat it I noticed it and pulled it out of the press and measured the bullet that was about half seated. It was .323. I'll just pull all 3 and start over with that load.

The one main piece of advice that always seems to come back around when it comes to reloading is "consistency". No sense in taking any chances and besides, we want consistent, reliable, accurate ammo that is safe. In the future when this happens they'll go in the reject bin.

I have had a case that I didn't chamfer properly and it hung up on the grooves of the TSX while being seated, diffidently a possibility.

One other thing that comes to mind. If the one case has a wall thickness that is .001 thicker than the rest it could have been a little snug on seating. I know that the expander ball would have opened it up but it would be less prone to expansion and perhaps a little snug. Measure the seated necks O.D. for uniformity to rule this out.

Thanks Marshall