Thread: Saturday ride

Default Saturday ride

Took advantage of the dry weather and went over Pinochle pass yesterday.
    The view from where we stopped.

Saturday was a great day for a ride. The woman folk in my family were in Palmer for a Girl Scout encampment so the boy and I head out for a day of riding also.

We headed up the South Fork trail off of Yoder Road on the Talkeetna Spur. We only saw two other wheelers and they were winching out of a mudhole on the way out. I ended up winching my kids out of the same whole 5 minutes later. After 4 hours and 7 winch outs between the two of us we finally topped out at 3800 ft before the snow got the best of us. We were making first tracks of the season for the last 2 miles or so. The ride was absolutely brutal and I doubt I will do it again this year.

Like your day the view was fantastic and so was the weather.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Nice picture. What drainage are we looking at?

I've been to that exact same spot and it can be a hairy climb to the top. A spectacular view up there, that's for sure. My favorite part of Pinochle is climbing Hick's Creek hill.

Thats looking into Caribou Creek. Billy Creek is the valley to the right, Caribou crk is the one on the left. If you look close you can see the airstrip on the bench above the confluence of Chitna crk and Caribou crk.

Thanks for the update. I've been in that area in the winter but never in the summer. The Talkeetna Mountains are some of my favorite country in Alaska.

Where is the south fork trail?? My family has a cabin on Benka lake, I rode larson creek trail and up to the montana falls (luthman I think). Good riding up there
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Pinochle is fun, one of my favorites, but nothing compares to Eureka. The country you can cover in a days time is unbelievable. The game, scenary, fishing, and historic value are priceless. Both Monument and Hick's Creek Hill are a blast to climb. The adrenaline of climbing a steep azz hill WOT, where a simple mistake is the difference between a tragic accident and cresting the peak, while holding on for dear life cannot be described by words.

Back when caribou roamed the area I got a real nice bull by Hicks lake. Double shovel, wide and thick. The antlers broke when dad flipped the 3 wheeler coming up that hill.
    I'm going up there today, hoping its not raining as much there. A friend has a new wheeler to try out, so this could be good weather for it.

Where is the south fork trail?? My family has a cabin on Benka lake, I rode larson creek trail and up to the montana falls (luthman I think). Good riding up there
    Go to the end of Yoder..right where Yoder takes a 90 degree right at the top of the last hill. The trail takes off to the left there and parallels the South Fork of Montana Crk for quite a ways and will get you well above treeline.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks...I'll have to get out there in a few weeks!!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Went to the airstrip up on Caribou creek this weekend, It was a little wet, had some rain showers but nothing serious. The hill was slimy when we went down, but we didnt have any problems coming back up. All in all a pretty fun day!