Thread: Oregon 400T

Default Oregon 400T

Anyone else have the Oregon 400T? I am wondering if I will need to download any additional maps for the bush or the entire state. I just bought it and haven't had a chance to mess with it. So far it looks way cool, touch screen with topos.
    Marc Theiler

I settled on the same one after testing all the high prices models. The CD is helpfull but with a little practice its easy and oh so loaded with data. No you don't need to download anything unless you want off shore maps. As you probally know the 400t is geared for on shore users. I purchased the external antenna and am impressed with the results. My wife is a former USAF jet tech and loves this one.

Default Dimond Costco has them for $399.99

Hey there, Diamond Costco just got these in for 399.99. Seems like a pretty goodd price.

Man I want one! My 60csx is gonna have to fall of a cliff or out of the boat for me to replace it though. It just works to good to justify a new one.

maybe you can clarify this for me. i read on a review by an REI customer that you couldn't plan out a route and waypoints on your PC and upload it to your 400t, that any route selection/waypoints had to be directly done on the 400t. that is b/c of the software that comes preloaded on the 400t versus the 300 for example. any experience? i emailed garmin and am awaiting a response. thanks

(also i have a mac that we just got, so i figure they are compatible together?)

I bought the 400t from costco. I also have a etrex vista I used for years. The difference between the two is amazing. The new 400t is easy to use, quick to use, and even my wife figured out how to use this (never did on the old etrex).

It is true, unless you have software, you have to load your route through the gps.

I have both the mapsource and Topo software, prefer the Topo software for loading up my routes. You can use google earth to download (not upload) your routes, tracks, or benchmarks.

The 400t is great, the only drawbacks brightness of screen (dim because waterproof and plastic on touchscreen) and battery life. Other than that, for Alaska, I wouldn't recommend a better GPS (right now).

Irishlord have you turned the brightness up on your unit.I thought the same thing and called Garmin and they showed me how to turn up the brightness.

Nothing really to add except that I am really drooling over the 550T! To be able to load up pics to my computer that were tagged to the location that the pic was taken would be awesome. I havn't played w/ one yet but I really hope that they included a feature to track back to a picture. How cool would it be to pop a picture of your camp then head off. When time to back track just go to your pics touch the one of "camp" and then select "go here"! Awesome!