Thread: Homer Report?????

Default Homer Report?????

Was wondering if anyone has a current report out of Homer????
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Fished on a charter last Tuesday....a few toss backs in the "kelp" (shallow water), finally limits of 10-25 lbers off-shore, then nothing trolling for kings. Different guy Friday, all day trolling got 3 kings, best was a 20 lb. white king. Yesterday - honest 4-6 ft. seas kept the boat from even trying shallow; drifted a ways offshore where a ferocious bite of chickens limited the boat quickly; trolled for a few hours without a bit; jigged up 20 rockfish. Today it looked real nice on the water, and was about 68 degrees as I headed back to Anchorage.

From all I heard over the past week, the kings are real spotty, some boats will get one or two, maybe more, then get skunked the next day. Most boats aren't putting much in the box for salmon. Halibut, too, at least of size, seem pretty inconsistent, though the smaller fish are pretty plentiful. Some boats will pull a real nice catch one day, then go back and find nothing but small fish. But, it sure beats heck out of twiddling your thumbs!

Oh, yeah, lots of pollock off the spit, a few cod, and plenty of yellowfin sole. The pollock look surprisingly healthy. One of my buddies kids brought one back to where we were staying, I filleted it and only had to pull out two worms. He got it cooked just for him, but liked the grilled fresh rockfish much better. Smart kid.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Fished Saturday 6:00am to 2pm. five guys 10 fish, 1 60lb the rest 10-30 lbs, 18 miles out. Very rough seas but worth it.

Fished saturday as well, rough. I was glad to get the anchor down. Wide open chickens with the big one going 40. Wednesday was beautiful with wide open chickens, had some youngins onboard so got a late start and figured they'd like the action in shallower water. Haven't had a chance to chase salmon around yet, but get mixed reports from different areas. Consistantly inconsistant for the kings.

Going to Homer for a week, I'll report on the Kings and flatties when I get back.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Been in Homer for a few days, and although I can't go out (long story...) my boat left without me taking a friend and some family out. Saturday was pretty rough, and they decided not to go out too far and picked up a few 20# butts in close. Sunday the weather was a lot better and got out farther and still only got a few 20-30 flatties. Cleaning the fish at the harbor tables showed that the carcass trailers didn't have much of anything in size either... seems like it's off to a slower start this year? With all the reports of the kings being so slow and spotty they never tried.

I did see a big load of salmon at Buttwhackers today... must have been 6-8 kings with a couple of real beauties in the pile. Not sure what charter is was, but someone did **** nice today!
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Went out on an over night charter 6-7th June. The boat just about limited out, with a coupe biggies. I had one about 85-90#, so did another guy. Therest were 20-30#