Thread: Navigation around commercial fishing boats

Default Navigation around commercial fishing boats

Does anyone have any tips on how to get around the commercial guys in PWS? I don't want to get in there way but want to get out to Perry Island. Seems like they get the channel pretty well coverd and I just want to make sure I can read where their nets are. Another thing, do they ever have a time when the commercial guys aren't out there?

Are you talking about gillnetters or seiners?? Best thing to do is when you see a commercial boat is to slow down so you can see things better, especially when running into the sun, with the gillnetters the net will have small white floats floating on the waters surface & a large inflatable ball on the end but remember that the net will not always be in a straight line away from the boat, it could be in a big horseshoe shape or even a S shape.
    Best thing to do is stay WAY Away from the fleet, just run out in the middle. If your trying to get into a place and have to go through the fleet just go slow and you should be fine.
    To find out when & where the gillnetters will be allowed to fish just go up to the Whittier Habormasters office and get a copy of the announcements from fish & game of the times and open areas.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hey pot builder, I wouldn't know one from the other! WE tried to do the slow way down thing and just turned around cause it seemed we were agitating the guy. he sort of came out in a intercept mode and we weren't even close yet. Would it be better to just run down to the end of Culross and go across to Perry from down there? I checked the F&G page and it looks like pretty much a 7 days a week thing for a while with a 12 hr. closing on Wed. nights. Doesn't leave much time for us sport guys to enjoy ourselves, but they gotta make a living.

After a couple commercial boats you will be able to tell. Once I spot them I look for a bouy away fromo the boat. But with that said there are times that there is no bouy but small white floats along the net. The key is to SLOW down or STOP and look for a way around the boat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It was pretty much a zoo when we were there. We did stop and were just idling along. I guess it is like commuting to Anchorage. You sort of have to be a defensive offensive driver. It just seemed like the guy didn't want us to pass no matter how big of a birth we gave him. But thatnks. We will watch for the bouys and floats, the net then is what like 200 ft down current from that?

Quote Originally Posted by bljames View Post
    It was pretty much a zoo when we were there. We did stop and were just idling along. I guess it is like commuting to Anchorage. You sort of have to be a defensive offensive driver. It just seemed like the guy didn't want us to pass no matter how big of a birth we gave him. But thatnks. We will watch for the bouys and floats, the net then is what like 200 ft down current from that?
    If the guy was thinking like i do its that every time i see a non commercial boat running towards my gear all i can think of is another guy running over my net and putting me out of business for at least a couple of hours while i cobble together my net or if they hit it really good then i'm done fishing for the period and i have to go into whittier, go home and get materials to fix my net or get another net. Those nets cost $4000-$6000 and that doesn't count the lost income and fishing time so you can see why we get nervous when some boat is running good & fast towards our gear. Maybe the gillnetters should line up on both sides of the launching ramp with hammers in our hands and blindly start swinging at boats & trucks when they go up & down the ramp and when we bang up a boat or truck just say "I didn't do anything or damage" like a few guys have told me after they ran over my nets.
    The gillnets are 900 FEET LONG so you better watch more than 200 feet and pay attention because like i told you before the net can be in any shape or direction away from the boat and parts of the corkline may be sunk & just under the surface of the water because a lot of fish in one area of the net will sink it.

Gillnetters are usually bowpicker style boats(house on the back) reel in front of the house

Seiners are much bigger boats, house forward style, with a mast & boom with a powerblock hanging off of it and they have a seine skiff towing the other end of the net.

Just go slow and keep your eyes open and one hand on the reverse lever if your too close to hit reverse then at least shut off the motor as fast a possible then you won't wind up as much net around your prop/s.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Just stay why clear and pay attention, itís really hard to see the cork lines. Best thing to do is give a wide berth and move on. These guys are out here trying to make a living, so if you donít know what to look for stay clear; if you run over a net youíll be sorry.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Smile

You should try a Bristol Bay opener if you think you saw a zoo. Like Pot Builder said, go slow and pay attention. same goes when you run into a bunch of anything. Happy boating.

Really no different from rocks, logs, wakes, whales and the other hazards on the water. Keep your eyes, and your crews eyes pealed 100% of the time, and when you aren't sure, cut power, look around then adjust course if needed.

I've found after spending some time out in the sound you get a feel for where the commercial boats will be fishing, and just give them a wide berth.

Get some polarizing sunglasses and it helps a lot. And chances are he wasn't in "intercept" mode to meet you, he was just "running" his net to scare fish in.

Gillnets are 150 fathoms long (900ft) and can run in any shape or direction from the boat to the buoy.

Good luck!

Default Radio?

How bout hailing em on the radio, tell em yer intentions and ask for help avoiding their gear?

The radio might not work. A lot of the boats in Bristol Bay are on different channels working in groups, and if the fishing is slow lying to one another.

Don't think radioing them would help much. Too many boats fishing and would be hard to describe where their net is. Just stay well away and know that you may not be able to see their little white floats. I've headed in the direction of commercial boats before while they were fishing and had a commercial boat all of a sudden blast on an intecepting path but then figured that what he was doing was getting between me and his net that I was heading for (but hadn't yet seen). Actually, that was probably doing ME a favor. The biggest challenge I've had so far as getting through Main Bay to snag reds when all of their nets are everywhere. Trying to match up pairs of buoys, etc. so I don't run over a net.

Default I drift fished one year in PWS and since 93 in Cook Inlet

One way is to head straight at the commerical boat. When you get close to the commerical boat you will see the direction the net is going off his boat and you just steer to the other end of his boat.
    At the same time you have to remember if there are many boats around you will have to watch 900 ft nets from boats off both your sides.
    Still going straight at the commerical boat is the only way to go.
    Radio contact will not work. All should be on VHF 16 - But they will not be.

Default thanks

Okay there were both seiners and setters, because there were bow pickers and the big guys were out farther. Nine hundered feet that is 300 yards so that is about 50yds further than my best drive golfing,okay I can get a better idea there. I have the polaroid lens sunglasses,okay. Did stop and went very slow, still freaked the guy out so must have been too close. I think I'll just run out the other end of Culross and maybe they will be thinner down there. I just wanna go fishin!

I was sure they use the shot across the bow method in Bristol bay.