Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: military hunting poll

Default military hunting poll

how many months in a 3 year tour were you sent out of alaska by the military?

I would guess that an average Airman would be out of Alaska 8 months (6 month deployment plus 2 months of training) and an average Soldier would be out of Alaska 14 months (12 month deployment and 2 months of training). These are just averages, as some people won't deploy at all and some will go twice in a three year span.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    how many months in a 3 year tour were you sent out of alaska by the military?
    Then there are the folks who are long term residents, but get stationed outside. Our son-in-law and daughter have been long-time residents. Own property. Vote here. Alaska drivers licenses. Alaska tags on their vehicles. Come back "home" on leaves. Out of state 2-3 years at a stretch to new duty stations, sometimes having to string together two or three before once again being stationed back here. Alaska is home forevermore.

Husband says he thinks 14 months, he's in the army.

Default 50/50

arrived June of 05 and have been gone for a total of 27 months, oops forgot NTC 28 months. (Army)

Default In the Army

Got up to Ak Oct 05, been gone a total of about 23 or 24 months or so. Though thats goin up with each month as I wont be back until very early 2010 (the earlier the better)

Default Depends on Service and Rank

It all depends on which service you are in and the current rank you are. The Army has much longer tours (15 months) than the Air Force (anywhere from 120 days to 179, plus training time). Your rank also plays a part in it. The higher the rank, the less you deploy because of the amount of the positions downrange. Lower ranking folks will go more because there are more positions/requirements.

got to AK in aug 06 and have been deployed going on 13 months.

Default moose44

I belive your assessment about rank having an effect on the deployment/time away from alaska is wrong. A least for the army. In fact the higher rank you have to more School/training be condcuted off-post beacuse it is more specialized. I doubt that few soldiers on FT. Wainwright have spent as mush time away than the commander. Especially since the higher HQ is not on the post.

If we are comparing time away, I have been in Alaska 6 years (3 at FT. Rich adn 3 at Wainright). I have been gone evey moose season except one. However, it is the times that we live in and our job that is most important. I love Alsaska and cherish every moment here. I will not be bitter when I leave that the Army did not allow me to do (or harvest) everything that I wanted becuse if I liverd here another 20 I dont think I could.

I arrived at Ft. Wainwright in July 08 so I have been assigned to Alaska 11 months and have been deployed 9 of those months and counting.

Default Gone

I am in the Air Force and spent 3 years assigned to Elmendorf. I only spent about 10 months in state.

For my 4-year tour, I have 24 months deployed or TDY.

Default deployment

I was in Alaska about a year before i was deployed.

I was at Elmo from July 91 to Dec 98. (IPCOT)

The ops tempo was different then but between TDYs, deployments, exercises and IG inspections I managed to lose most of 5 fall seasons and 2 of the 3 springs I tried bear baiting.

It depends on your job and unit but it seems on average that most active duty folks are losing around half their tours here to deployments.

Default half your tour

i've spent about half of both of my tours deployed away from our great state along with the rest that answered here. so many missed salmon runs and hunting seasons. i've wondered for a long time if this was typical for most other military folks. i appreciate the af/army difference for deployment cycles.

Default war vs. non-war

When I was stationed at Ft. Rich, the Gulf War was just hitting it's end. I was here for 30 mos and went one month to N.T.C. (Ft. Irwin), one month to Thailand (Cobra Gold '92) and one month J.R.T.C. (Ft. Chaffee?). So, 3 mos out of 30. I guess theres certain determining factors......i.e.............M.O.S., rank, branch, war/nonwar, etc.......

Default Thank You

I don't know how you guys do it. I have been away for only four months and I was going nuts to get home.. So with that being said, I would like to thank all of you who are serving our country.

Thank you, Tracy
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

I want to say 12
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Ive had it great!!! 3 years here and only 3 months out of the state. To top that off my time away was in Guam during the past winter. No complaints here!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default Deployed

For my 3 year tour...6 months, only missed one hunting season (Sep 06-April 07) ....but what better time to go, during Winter. Came back in time to bear bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast