Thread: A rookie question.

Default A rookie question.

So I am just starting to get into fly fishing ( I learned the 10 o clock 2 o clock position) I like the fact that I can carry a light weight rod out to a remote lake and fish. I was thinking about going to rabbit lake or Symphony lake. Does anybody know if those two lakes have catchable fish in it? I have a 4-5wt fly rod so I cant catch things that are huge like kings. I just think it would be fun to fish a little while while im backpacking.

So yeah, anybody know if those lakes or good? Or do they have places that they would recommend to a rookie?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    So I am just starting to get into fly fishing ( I learned the 10 o clock 2 o clock position) I like the fact that I can carry a light weight rod out to a remote lake and fish. I was thinking about going to rabbit lake or Symphony lake. Does anybody know if those two lakes have catchable fish in it? I have a 4-5wt fly rod so I cant catch things that are huge like kings. I just think it would be fun to fish a little while while im backpacking.

So yeah, anybody know if those lakes or good? Or do they have places that they would recommend to a rookie?

Symphony has some very very nice grayling. There are some pushing 20" in there. AF&G stocked it years back and the fish dont get any pressure. You can get some hogs there, It is worth the hike in for sure and it is a nice hike and if you have the time make it an overnighter. Id OM Brian the mod here I believe he has hiked it many times. I have only done it twice
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

If you want to head to the Kenai Pensula look into Cresent Lake and Lost lake. Both have nice long hikes and good numbers of fish that will complement the rod size you have. Also If you like heading north there are lots of grayling along the Denali Hwy. If you decide to try some of the lakes along there you might find some whitefish or lake trout too. Enjoy the rod, a 5wt is the most common rod everywhere except alaska.

Another fun trip is to head to Hope in July and go after pink salmon. You can catch them till your arm gets tired and they are well suited to a 5wt.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I hiked back to Symphony lake last year around the end of May. There was still alot of Ice one it when we went, but we were able to land some nice grayling in the open runs of water. Bring some good hiking boots, that boulder field right before the lake it pretty rough in some spots if you are not used to hiking. I would bring some bead headed nymphs and maybe a few dry flies, you'll definently catch some...and your rod is perfect for that situation, IMO.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/