Thread: Leaf miners...

Unhappy Leaf miners...

So tell me, do you folks have these pests that lay eggs in beet and bean leaves?Leave a shiny scale on the leaf.I hate to use pesticides, so just curious what you might do.Thanks.GR

No leaf miners yet. But with my luck, I will.

Over the weekend my cabbage, zucchini and gold nugget squash developed a swarm of leaf hoppers. I applied buhach first then diatomacious earth. There are still a leafhoppers and I want them GONE. I am going to spray with dilute Murphy's Oil Soap next.

The garden book recommends to remove leaf miner infested leaves and treat the rest with insecticidal soap. Without my garden book I'd be sunk. It's the Alaska Gardening Guide Volume 1. Not all of the stuff applies but most of it is very helpful for newbie gardeners like me. Especially the pests I.D. chapter and the compost chapter. Read it cover to cover several times already.

I hope the soap works for you.

Tried the Murphy's Oil Soap spray yesterday. I mixed about a teaspoon with a quart of water. Sprayed the whole plant, even under the leaves and rinsed off about 20 minutes later. It was effective. Only a few stragglers for the leaf hoppers. There was no burn, the plants are showing no ill effects so far. Tonight the rest of the little bugs will meet their match. Either that or the adults all died off and the eggs are about to hatch...

We use Dr. Bronners peppermint castile soap. It's a very thin liquid that's organic, safe, and very effective. Add about a teaspoon to a sprayer bottle full of water and it does the trick.