Thread: Looking to buy remote land in Alaska

Default Looking to buy remote land in Alaska

Hello, I am interested in buying a remote parcel in Alaska. I am only looking to stay seasonal, April – Nov. Right now I have my eyes set on a piece of land north Skwentna air strip. I have not made up my mind if I want to build my own cabin or have logs / kit barge up the river and delivered by helicopter. I read this in a earlier post that it is possible. Do you have any idea how far a barge can go up the Yentna River? The land that I am looking at sits on the Yenta River, directly north of the Skwenta air strip. I have been trying to find a log cabin kits retailers in Alaska from websites and I have had no luck (trying to get an estimated price for wood 500-800sqft). I am currently working overseas and I will be coming to Alaska at the beginning of July and I would like to get the ball rolling. I have heard that North Pioneer is a good freight helicopter company to work with from what I have read on this forum.

I have heard that the area around Skwentna has some real good hunting and fishing?

Any additional information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

There are many people that cut "D" logs in 6' or 8" sizes and sell them by the foot all over Alaska and this is the way I would go if you can barge them in. You just stack them up on your floor deck and lag or spike each log to the one under it. You don't even need to notch the corners if you don't want to, just alternate overlapping layers at the corners.

If you are in a place than you need to chopper materials in you will be ahead to go with a stud frame and save the extra poundage over the logs.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy, thanks for the quick reply. Do you by chance know of a company that will barge supplies up the Yentna River?

I don't know anyone that you could hire, but I'm sure there are some. You could ask up in the Alaska boating forum. If it were me with land right on the river I would get my own boat and build or buy a small barge to drag goods into my place whenever I wanted. Something like a 8X10 foot platform on 55 gallon drums with pointy fronts should work. Or a party boat/floating dock would also work.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I believe Eric Johnson is still running the Mammoth up the Yetna, old #s are is 733-3742 or 907-952-2740 , nice barge.

I do not think i really want to buy a barge to ship my cabin up the river. I rather pay someone who already owns a barge to ship my logs up the river. Thanks for the phone number Dave.

Where is a good place to get plans for log cabins?

B. Allen Mackie does have a book of log house plans that includes some cabin designs. It's out of print and might be hard to find though. There is probably something out on the internet available for a price.

However, while I'm sure it's possible to get plans for log cabins from somewhere, I'm not aware of anybody that actually does that. Generally, you just sketch out what you want on a piece of graph paper and go for it. It helps if the dimensions are in 4' increments to limit waste. I'd say that typical remote cabin sizes run between 16x16 and about 20x24. 500-800 sq-ft is on the bigger side, but not unreasonable to design yourself. If you really want a pre-packaged cabin, many of the sawmills will do it for you, they typically don't have internet sites. I know of a couple of places in the interior that will do it, but I'm not up to speed on south central mills.

One reason there aren't too many cabin plans, is because most cabins are built to "fit the site". A suburban house just faces the street, but when you build in the woods you want to orient the roofline/windows/doors to take advantage of things like sun, shade, views, prevailing wind direction, slopes, etc.

For what it's worth, I would recommend building the smallest cabin you are comfortable with. If you've never done it before, it takes more logs than you would think. For instance, a typical 20x24 cabin is going to take roughly 100 standard 8" x 10' three sided logs. That's alot of work if you don't have a crew. Or of course, if you have the money, you can hire somebody that specializes in building remote cabins and get it done this year. There are a few of those around.

Yk

Mat-Valley Timber Products in Palmer 907-746-3030 does D logs and any other wood needed for a cabin. They sometimes have kits for sale even.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Belack
    I don't believe Eric wants to sell his barge either. I think he is still "running" it up the drainage for a fee. Lots cheaper than the helo.

pix: http://alaskaexcavators.com/River_Barge.htm

Dave

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

There are several Barge operators that operate out of the Deshka Landing. Call the landing at (907) 495- 3374 they may be able to give you the phone numbers.

I have 21.5 acres on Hewitt Lake, (about 700ft lake front Southern exposure), that I have been thinking about selling.

Default Fish creek

I am looking at some land in the alder view addn subdivision on fish lakes. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the area. Is their alot of fishing and hunting traffic in the area?

Here's a link to Eric's lodge website. http://www.northwoodslodge.net/
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

One word................SNOWMACHINE!!!

Save yourself alot of money and haul it yourself in the winter.

Default Thanks

Thanks AK_Doug. That link really helped me see into what that area is like. I really appreciate the info.