Thread: Spots Around Fairbanks

Default Spots Around Fairbanks

Headin' to Fairbanks for several days and would appreciate a point out on some locations to go for some Rainbows & Grayling. I know Eileson AFB has several small lakes for some decent bank fishing and will be taking my Watermaster as well. I also want to take my wife and we'll both be taking our chest waders. In short, I don't know where there are any creeks/streams to go wadin' through.

Thanks...
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post
    Headin' to Fairbanks for several days and would appreciate a point out on some locations to go for some Rainbows & Grayling. I know Eileson AFB has several small lakes for some decent bank fishing and will be taking my Watermaster as well. I also want to take my wife and we'll both be taking our chest waders. In short, I don't know where there are any creeks/streams to go wadin' through.

Thanks...

Upper Chena has Grayling. There are numerous spots along Chena Hot Springs Road beginnin at mile 30 or so. The Badger Slough off of Badger Road in North Pole also has Grayling, although not as many as 1 month ago. Try behind Badger Gas or Repp Road. For Rainbow Trout you have to head for a lake, as they do not occur in any stream around Fairbanks. Quartz Lake is always a consistent producer, and Birch Lake is also pretty good if you do not want to drive to far. There are numerous small lakes around town, but they all pretty much produce dinkers...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks for the hot tips, Buddy. You've been a big help!
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

little harding also has rainbows..fun lake to fish...LAAATE in the evening.

I fished at MP34 on the Chena yesterday about 1-3PM. Caught from 6" to 15" on blue duns. Water still a little hi but not enough to stay home!

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    I fished at MP34 on the Chena yesterday about 1-3PM. Caught from 6" to 15" on blue duns. Water still a little hi but not enough to stay home!
    Thanks for the tip but not familiar with a 'blue dun'. Do you have a picture or a link on how to tie it? We're currently in Fairbanks and planned on hitting a couple of the MP along the Chena River. Got some helpful info from the Natural Resource Office on Eielson AFB the other day. I hit Grayling Lake on Eielson AFB and brought in about 15 Rainbows on dry flies. Most of 'em were about 8" but brought in a few that ranged 10"-14". Also brought in a few nice Grayling on the Yetna River outside of North Pole the other night. Nothing too big but was a good outing...used a Prince Headed Nymph I tied.

Hey Tex,

Go to the fly shop on University Avenue in Fairbanks...It is in the same building as Northern Threads, you cannot miss it. They have a pretty big selection of various types of Blue Duns....the guys in there are very helpful and might even be able to give you better tips then what we all have done on here.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Hey Tex,

Go to the fly shop on University Avenue in Fairbanks...It is in the same building as Northern Threads, you cannot miss it. They have a pretty big selection of various types of Blue Duns....the guys in there are very helpful and might even be able to give you better tips then what we all have done on here.

Fish On!
    That's in the direction like going to Sportman's Warehouse off of Airport Way, correct? Is it before hitting the Johanson Hwy?

Default What DSN are you at currently

Dude

Or if not call my Cell 907-460-7758 its on and I will answer. I will toss you a couple of DZ flies to help you out. Notice the word Toss I do not sell flies at the raft store.

Last night above 45 Mile CHSR size 14 Elk hair Caddis worked fine some fish pushing 18-19 inches. There is a may fly hatch going on but it is not thick however a nice spinner fall is happening about 9:00PM. Couple of Little Black Stones out as well not to mention ants.

If you heading out tonight I will be at the shop 816 28th Ave till about 6:15PM shop number is 907-458-7758 I will give you a Map and what access points you need to fish the Chena. We are located two blocks behind Los Amigo's off of Cushman st.

I can call and walk you through it just need your number.

Blue Moose

if you do go up there DO NOT go without griffths gnats! Lots of flys work, this one almost works TOO good if that is such a possibility. Went up there a few evenings ago with some company and we did quite well. Couldnt stand hearing all the reports and no one wanting to go, so asked a lady friend and she dug it hard core! too cool.

Don't need to go past a 16 in dries, 14's on the gnats work the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    if you do go up there DO NOT go without griffths gnats! Lots of flys work, this one almost works TOO good if that is such a possibility. Went up there a few evenings ago with some company and we did quite well. Couldnt stand hearing all the reports and no one wanting to go, so asked a lady friend and she dug it hard core! too cool.

Don't need to go past a 16 in dries, 14's on the gnats work the best for me.
    Thanks for the notice, TradBow. That's a simple enough pattern to whip out and will tie up a few today. I'm planning on taking the wife up to the Chena River spots tomorrow and appreciated all the feedback to help make this trip successful. If the wife can have a blast nailin' the fish, then I'll be one happy camper since she is brand new to fly fishin'!

Went up there today...did well, didnt have a ton of time. Went to my old spots, water is lower then I remembered it. SO the fish were pushed out into some newer albeit smaller areas, more pocket water games...but we did catch two of the biggest fish I've seen come from the upper chena...big fat long toads!!!

The date I took up there was using a size 14 copper john, I was using my griffths. She was using it under a bobber on a spinning rod...worked extremely well, and me on my fly rod again worked well. Dunno if your wife fly fishes or not, if not, bring an ultra light, I paid 15 bucks for this one at sportsmans, 4lb trilene xl with a 5x tipped section, not fancy but man it worked well. Sportsmans had a clear bobber that had sugical tubing you would twist to hold the bobber as a bobber stop..a slip bobber if you will that when it twisted the bobber didnt move....I might be years behind the times on this one but man that was cool and it worked VERY well! I dont have the package or remember the name but sportsmans in fairbanks has them!

Dont over look the shallow abliet slightly darker looking 'pools' they all held fish, and many held more then just a few....again low water conditions. A rain storm went through today, dunno how much it's dumping up there, went through quick in town but dumped hard.

Piledriver slough for Grayling, right across from the Base off the Rich, they are in there, usually at break up there are tons of them going crazy, go down neargrayling lake then take that trail across from the pavilion, you can drive it until you see the slough.

I'm back in Palmer now and appreciate everyone's inputs. I heard about the Piledriver Slough but never got the chance to hit it. Reckon I'll do that next time I head up towards Fairbanks and hit the upper Chena River more aggressively.

Thanks again!