Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Salmon do YOU catch ???

Exclamation How many Salmon do YOU catch ???

in a single season, or year. how many Salmon would you say you catch and keep ??? either salmon count or Lbs. ???

do you freeze it every year?

do you utilize everything you freeze or catch, every year ???

thank you

Default GL Salmon

I'm guessing you are not looking for Great Lakes fish...but...I keep about 100 lbs of fillets a year. I vacuum seal a lot of them and mostly grill for my girl friend and I. Also every family outing or fishing trip I will smoke some up for my guests. Also no fish goes to waste. I tend to run out around...mid April.

150 Lbs. for me, Kings,Butts.,Reds.
    Paul

we put up 18-20 silvers in frozen fillets, probably about #110, in a decent year we will get 8-12 feeder kings, and maybe another 6-8 silvers that we eat fresh. we smoke the few reds we get in our personal use net, and cure the roe if we are lucky enough to get a hen chum.
    this spring we put up #100 of cod, and i would guess we eat about 20 misc small rockfish and greenling over the summer, and half a dozen halibut under #20, if i catch one bigger we give most of it away as we just don't care for it frozen.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default depends...

About 15 reds and 6 kings that average around 25 to 30 lbs. A few more reds if it is a canning year. Maybe another 20 lbs. of halibut, lings and rock fish.

Too Many.....

I try and fill the freezer with enough fish to last me all winter. If I have leftover fish by the next summer, I donate them to a local church. If you package them right, you will have no freezer burn and they are as good as when you packaged them. I love smoked Reds, alot of Reds get smoked in this household...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default last year I kept

46lbs of reds and 26lbs of halibut the halibut ran out in december and I still have about 10lbs of reds that I will smoke before my trip to ak in july and bring with me its a tradition Ive done for the last 6 years. I cant wait to eat some smoked reds and some fresh halibut only 40 more days for fresh fish I hope everybody gets the fish they need this year and has fun catching them good luck to all will see ya july 17th

Smile

We usually keep 29+1 at Chitina, Another couple kings, half dozen reds, and a dozen silvers from Lil Su. Sometimes will even make a run to dip Kasilof. We fillet it, skin it, and vacuum seal it all and then every time the kids come, we BBQ. Every time we travel, we BBQ. Every time we have company? Yep, we BBQ. My wife Kathy has a fabulous recipe with lemon and herbs that makes salmon disappear...

Default can and BBQ

I smoke @ 10 reds and can. I can @ 10 reds,plain. That gives me @ 6 cases, for the year. I fillet and vacuem pack another 20 for the freezer. So I need 40 fish a year, at least. Halibut is a good 50 to 75 pounds frozen for the year. I barely make the halibut last too. Ate my last package from last year, three weeks ago.

We usually take 25-30 reds each year. We keep any Kings that are bleeders so some years none, other years 1 or 2. a dozen Silvers round out our take. I filet and freeze, in foodsaver packs, and we eat salmon about once a week year round. I also smoke whole filets for family events and swap a few filets for fresh corn when our family members from Nebraska come up every year or so.

Nothing gets wasted.....it all gets et.

As many as the Good Lord lets me catch and the State of Alaska Lets me keep. I like to share with lots of family and friends.
    Last edited by chico99645; 06-07-2009 at 11:46. Reason: spelling

Very interesting question for a brand new members first posting. Wonder if a survey for an organization is being done to adjust Alaska's creel limits or activist group? Just pondering!!!

We usually put about 40 reds or so in the freezer each year, split from dipnetting and catching. We'll probably up that a little bit this year because this past year we found out my son had food allergies to a lot of meats, so we ate a lot more fish. And yes, we use it all. We've put anywhere from 30-70 pounds of halibut and various rockfish in each year as well, and that tends to go quicker than the salmon. Occasionally a few silvers as well, but my father-in-law is usually here during silver season and he absolutely loves them, so they mostly go to him.

We usually catch and release somewhere between 50 and 100 pinks each year. We take the kids down to Hope and spend a few days of non-stop catching. We've never kept any, but we are going to start keeping as many as allowed this year. The reason is that one of my daughter's favorite places is the zoo, and we found out this past year that the zoo takes all fish - even old, freezerburned fish, etc. to feed the animals (mostly bears and eagles I think). So if you have any fish left over at the end of the season, take it to the zoo instead of throwing it out.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I usually put up around 6to 8 kings a year (Nushagak size (20-25 pounds) More than half of that is eaten for sushi, the other half grilled. I also usually put up about 20 sockeyes, mostly canned to the tune of about two cases, and then save the bigger fillets for vac packing. This is just for me so it's plenty....just sashimi'd my last king on Sunday and had last of the halibut (probably get 40 pounds every other year...Dillingham is a little short on the butt) for lunch yesterday. I also do fresh meals of char or Dollies and some pike....mostly shore lunch or throughout the winter when they seem tastiest.

Also eat about ten pounds of smelt fresh each fall....hook and line fishing in a stream near Dillingham, stop by and angle on the way home in Nov. then fire up the fry daddy. (they don't seem to preserve well so I just enjoy it while it lasts)

Not really sure about this question from a newcomer to the forum either...could be fishing for a mass waste story so here's the poop from a person living in a subsistence area. Many new comers to the area will put up more fish than they can consume the first year or two. Either they get eyes bigger than their stomach, or they don't realize that when the reds are runnin that you have to tend your net or in a full tide you will sink it. Some friends of mine a few years back left a net in for a full tide during the height of the run and soon there were hurried calls and then 6 house holds filleting and packaging the 100 plus fish they inadvertently took. Little was wasted that way but we still tell the story so that new folks out in the bush (and there always seems to be a steady stream...heck I was one of them) so that they realize how to avoid excessive take and it's gotten much better over time.

Last year we hit the king run just right on the Nushagak and banged up 27 bright kings in less than two hours....left the house at 7 and back at 9:30....fresh pot of coffee, called the folks we had lined up to share with us....sharpened the knives, plugged in the vac packers and three hours later we had them all done and in the freezer....never gonna get that kind of turn around on anything from the supermarket. Each fish was bled in cold water and handled gently....nearly 90 percent of the pieces were sushi grade....( compared to other years when we didn't do as well, we all ate the heck out of the things instead of saving them, and most of the others ran out by February)

Best part of this was I could have a king on the grill when I was sportfishing without losing out on my freezer fillin (only allowed 4 annually from the Nush from sportfishing).

Folks with families put up lotsa lotsa fish out here, many folks have large and effective smoke houses and lots of the natives make fantastic dried fish and belly strips (some do stinkheads too, but not as much as years ago), it's pretty much a job for several weeks each summer.

It all depends on how well the fish cooperate with us. Last year started slow...I think we got one king that didn't last because we ate it right away. Then a smattering of about 8 reds here and there. Took one halibut trip and came back with probably 30 pounds of meat (we didn't do well that day). Froze most of that. Smoked all but 2 of the reds. Then things went dry. Got a couple of silvers in the streams near Anchorage. Finally topped off the season with 14 Valdez silvers. Smoked about 6 of them, filleted, vacuum packed, and froze the rest. Also had about 100 lbs of frozen hooligan.

Right now, our freezer is empty of all but one smoked fillet and the hooligan that we just caught. All of it got eaten, and we could have used more. We ran out of Halibut in November, which is no fun because that's my favorite.

I'm hoping to get all of our Chitina dipnet permit fish this year, since I'm not going to be around in August or September to fish for silvers. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably be pounding away on the Kenai or Kasilof dipping there later in the summer.

Even if we have extra fish, my wife is Alaska Native and there is ALWAYS someone in her family that needs fish, so we share quite a bit when we can.

My family usually keeps about 100-150# of salmon.

We freeze, smoke, and can our salmon. Usually we are on the last few fillets and cans by the next summer. What is left over gets eaten first before we move on to the current years catch. The smoked salmon usually does not last very long at all. Seems no matter how much I smoke, it is never enough.

I also give a lot away to the elderly folks at church who cannot catch their own. My kids really like helping with that.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Default Salmon

I usually keep about 10 red salmon. 1-5 king salmon, and 30 or more silver salmon. Silvers are the easiest to catch for me so I usually keep a lot of them. Most of the fish I smoke or give to family members.

I keep around 15-20 reds a summer, found thats about enought to keep my wife and i happy thru the winter, plus my family is really good about sharing with other family members if you get low. Most of them get smoked or canned.

last year i kept 5 kings 20-45lbs. i fillet them, cut them up in perfect "single servings" and vacuum seal them. since my wife just will not eat fish but my 4 year old daughter tends to eat it with me only after i have thawed and cooked my single serving and only wants " a liitle bit" which turns into "dad this is really good, im gonna have more" ....I probly smoke half of my kings. as for reds, well....i really stock up on those every chance i get....i do the same single serving them with them too so that none get wasted. i smoke about 30lbs of reds and freeze the rest. every fall in send my father who lives in Idaho about 30lbs of mixed salmon. last year i kept 40-60 actual reds, you figure about 5lbs average so btween 180-240 lbs of reds...we have alot of bbqs and I have elders and other family who dont have time to fish that i donate to when they need it. I dont keep much halibut and stuff cuz i dont get the opportunity but i do like to trade salmon and sometimes moose meat for fresh tasty ling and halibut. I also keep a few silvers, i figure around 20 or so. funny thing is i never seem to be able to make any of it last the whole year.

I keep about 30 reds a year, how ever many Kings I can catch, about a half dozen silvers, and whatever a trip to the salt will get me. I give a large portion of that to family(mine and my fiancee's) and friends. I keep about a dozen salmon for my self and whatever I can get from the salt.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast