Thread: 26-30' tell me you opinion

Default 26-30' tell me you opinion

OK, I know this has prob been posted a million time, but am having a hard time finding some comparison on boats. Sorry I am kind of new to this posting thing, but will see how this goes. I am looking to buy a 26' to 30' aluminum salt boat. The wife is also involved, so there has to be a couple of extras that have to go into the boat, like a head....lol.

We really liked the Wooldridge 26', very good use of space, not to keen on the hull design for rough water.

The Boulton has a better hull design, but the inside did not seem to be as good quality as the Wooly.

The Fishrite is one of the sweatest looking boats I have ever seen, but not impressed with the 24' interior, did not get to see a 26'. Love the deep hull and would appreciate anyone who has had the chance to drive this boat.

The Kingfisher is nice, the price SUCKS, rented one of these last year from the Army, it was efficient, but again, bad use of space on the inside.

I have seen a couple of USCOLAs used around, but have not been able to find out much info.

I really dig the MaxWeld, but out of my range on price, seems to be worth it.
    Here is what I would love to have:
    twin 115 don't care about fast as much as fuel, like the Honda's and Evins
    has to have a head
    has to have a stove
    has to sleep 4-6
    I like the bigger rear deck with a work station for gutting and cutting

Any info or input would be appreciated.

Might help if you mention the top price you are willing to pay.
    Tennessee

Smile go big...

Bigger is better. A well built 30' boat is better for the salt then a well built 26' boat. Money is usually the deciding factor.

I agree with both of the previous responses. What is your price range? Realistically twin 115's will be under powered in a boat over 26 foot. I think you will find in your research, that bigger motors does not equate to higher fuel burn. Just because you have the horse power does not mean you have to use it. Yea, right!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Uscola?

Believe thier shop is in palmer, im not to sure about thier boat/price if need repairs. Had a not so good experience trying to get work done on my boat so I took it elsewhere and was pleased. First price sounded fair but then it climbed in three weeks to price I bought the boat for. The reasoning for upping the price turned out to be B/S I noticed after taking it to another place and they done an awsome job for less than the first quote from Uscola in palmer.

If you like thier boat and there is a warranty option in thier package you may be set depending. Just my first experience with them figured it should be shared. I bought my boat used and older than the company.

I would like to keep it at about $90k or below, that way I know when I start and it hits 100K my wife will think it is at least close......lol

Default 26' Hewes

I believe you can still get into a 26' Hewescraft for under 90,000 bucks. That is why me and a bunch of other Alaskan boaters own them. It is a good boat and I like it. But, if I had 150,00 bucks to spare I would have a bigger boat! So far I have found the 115 hp Yamahas to be plenty big enough for the boat and the 150's would be "more better". I would not want to run any under powered boat in the salt water.

For that price you might want to consider having a Glacier Craft built or just about any other manufacturer that builds custom aluminum boats.

IMHO, you ought to at least consider looking at some used boats. New boats lose about 20% of their value in the first year or two. If you can find a nice used boat in good condition, your $90K-$100K will buy you a lot more boat.

For example, here's what appears to be a pretty nice used 2007 28' Harbercraft. They're asking $110K, but who knows what they might be willing to accept.

http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/lis...il.asp?key=738

And no, I'm not affiliated with Alaska Boat Brokers.

Default GC

I would go with Glacier Craft, in my opinion is the best ocean boat for alaska. My dad has one on order and I cant wait!!!!

Used aluminum boats do not lose much value and at times actually appreciate if taken care of.

Default 26 versus 30ft.

A lot depends on your financial situation regarding sharing expenses. If you have 4-5 people who are willing to share expenses I would definitely go with a larger boat. I am strictly a fisherman and my equipment is used (at least once). I have owned 34 & 27 footer and leased a 28 footer. I now run a 26 ft Hewescraft Searunner with 150s which I like the best of all the boats I have owned or currently own. I definitely agree with some past comments that I would choose 150s if the choice presented itself. A lot of times it is my wife and I fishing; and in those cases the 26 is perfect for over nighting. I have an extended cabin with full camper canvas in the back. If need be I can put cots in the cockpit for 2-3 people, not the greatest put it will do. One piece of advice I would give you is to set aside about $1,000-2,000 for repairs on a used boat no matter how good the previous owner says it is. I can go into a long list of things I have replaced on used boats I have bought put it would just bore you. Donít be afraid of making a mistake - we all have. Good luck in your decision.
    glfisherman
    Help keep discarded plastic from our waters.
    http://www.excel.net/~jokruege/plasticbags.ppt

I have a Hewes 26', not trying to advocate, just giving background.

My opinion is you're not going to be able to meet all your goals. Based on your requirements, I don't think you can get the equipment (head, stove, etc) and sleep 4-6 in anything less than a 28, maybe 30'. I don't think you could adequately power that with less than 150s (I repowered my 26 to 150s from 115s after 2 seasons), and I don't think you can touch that package for near 90K, unless you go for a used boat - even then it's a stretch.

It sounds like you have done good research on the boats listed, so you know a bit of what's out there. I hope I'm wrong and I wish you good luck. I think you are gonna have to rethink your budget, or mitigate your requirements. Good luck, and tell us what you come up with!

Chris

Default Not my boat...

but well worth the call. Has the features U want, it's already built, in AK, on a trailer, and it's turnkey, that alone will save you some bucks.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1210753889.html
    SeaULater

Just some input based on what I've been thinking about for my next boat, which falls in line with what you are looking at.

To me, the only reason to have twins is if they are large enough that one of them will get you up on plane. For that, you are looking at twin 250's to 300's. A single 115 won't get even a light 26' on plane. If you want to keep the price point down, go with a single 250 to 300 and a good kicker. Undersize twins just suck more fuel than the same size single, are more expensive to maintain, and make for an expensive noisy kicker if you loose one engine and the remaining engine won't get you up on plane.

I would much, much, much rather have a smaller boat that is properly powered than a larger underpowered boat. A good rule of thumb is the gross weight of hull, engines, fuel crew et al devided by 25 will give you the proper hp. So a 10,000 lb boat will need 400hp. When sizing twins, devide gross weight by 40, so the same 10k boat would need twin 250's and one of those engines will get you on plane.

There is a big difference between a boat that will sleep 4 and a boat that will sleep 6, especially one that has a decent sized fishing deck. I'd say you'd be looking at least at a 28' boat.

Keep your eyes on the used market, there are some deals out there if you keep your eyes peeled. With the economy the way it is, and the 1 halibut limit in SE, there are going to be more and more 6 packs on the market. You may have to do some re-fitting to get the boat you want, but you should be able to make it happen within your budget, when the right boat comes along.

Call Allen or Eric Engebretsen in Homer at Bayweld. They'll answer any questions you have and the Bayweld hull is about the best riding hull ever (better than the GC imho) - they're the closest thing to the Fiberglass plane and ride.

They go as small as 24' and as long as 36' - should fit within your price and have MUCH better quality. They can lay it out inside just like the Wooldridge or better.

This Stabicraft is one of the best deals going rite now.Its owned by a guy here on the board.Do a search for stabicraft and you will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaULater View Post
    but well worth the call. Has the features U want, it's already built, in AK, on a trailer, and it's turnkey, that alone will save you some bucks.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1210753889.html
    SeaULater

I have the 26 Fishrite. Bought new in April. Decent boat. single 300 suzi. Love the 3 miles to gallon instead of 1.3 on the old boat. Going back up to a 10' wide 30' boat from Fishrite, Need more room for all the inlaws and outlaws that show up every time I head out.

Take a look at Raider Boats, I just pulled the trigger on a 26' boat with a 96 inch beam (instead of the usual 84 Hewes and Wooly have) with a dinette, stand up head, seperate diesel heater, anchor pulpit, aluminum diamond plate rear deck w/ 3 inch scuppers, twin Honda 150s, and a galley, sleeps 4. 9 week delivery schedule

It all came in just at your price point.

I'd spent about 9 months researching and getting quotes from everybody, they were by far the best bang for the buck.

My second choice was silverstreak of BC Canada, but they charged a real premium when I started customizing it.

If you see me on the water the boats' name is "String Theory"

Thanks for the plug on the Stabi guys. If you are considering the Boulton or really any Aluminum boat for that matter, you might want to talk to Ben at Silverstreak boats before you pull the trigger. I think he has a lot on his hands now to build you a new boat but he will give you a candid opinion on a lot of makes since he is usually the who repairs them and does a lot of upgrades. I think he is the go-to guy in Anchorage for warranty work on Boultons, North River and most other makes.