Thread: I shot the new Ruger.......

Default I shot the new Ruger.......

Today I finally got to the range, after being shanghaied into a concrete mixing party, I escaped early and made it to Stiles Creek.

I shot a couple of rifles and chronied some loads then tried out the new Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. I shot some ammo made for my little model 97 Freedom Arms gun. In the FA it grouped about 2" at fifty and clocked at 980 fps from its 4 3/4" barrel. The load was the 280 grain WFNGC from Beartooth Bullets with 16 grains of R-123. The Ruger was great and not so great. The fifty yard groups were ....well the first two shots touching but high, about two foot high and to the right a couple inches. I dialed in some elevation and windage and shot three more. They were 4" lower and about 1 1/2" group. I need a screw driver. Rummaging around in the shooting bag I found a screw driver ( it works better than my thumb nail) and bottom out the rear sight. I shot another cylinder full and walked down to the target. Wrot Rho!! Now I'm only one foot high. The elevation screw actually bottomed out, apparently too long on one end but the rear sight is still up under some spring. I'll remove the screw and shorten it some then remove the rear sight leaf and file off the bottom to the tune of about .011" then dab some cold blue on it and re-install. This new Ruger rear sight has a hawk stamped on the top of the sight body, pretty cool. These little things sometimes rear their ugly heads but are not a serious ailment. Actually just part of the typical Ruger. Very fine guns and strong as a horse but sometimes need tweeking. This is a $500 revolver, remember.

This load clocked at 1080 fps from the 4 5/8" Ruger....Wow! And the Ruger out shot the Freedom Arms 45 Colt how about that. This with the Revolver that I thought had uneven cylinder throats. Oh well. I think I'll reduce the load to 15 grains of N110 and try to get 1000 on the nose. I don't want to get much slower the gun will shoot higher yet. I do like a load that is sub-sonic and this one is borderline in the Ruger. We'll adjust somethings. All in all a great shooting little Ruger. Oh yeah, those thin hard rubber (imitation) black checkered grips give really good traction but for heavy loads really chisel the hand a bit, they do not slide easily. Other than that, the weight of the gun and the recoil of the load were pretty closely matched. A nice day to shoot.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the report Murphy

I shot my Blackhawk SS .45 Colt yesterday at Brichwood with 300 gr. laser cast LBSGC with 10 grs. unique...I don't know what the vel. was but I'm at 2 inch groups @ 25 yards..thats about the best I can shoot with tri focal glasses...I have all the adjustments on my sights screwed down and I'm at 2 inches high...next I'll file the rear sight blade...I'm very happy with the BH....I carry it on the trail and have hunted moose with it, but didn't get a shot...It is a heavy gun...I have a Montado comming in the mail and will work up a load around a 260 gr. keith bullet @ 1,000 fps or so...I figger I"ll send that little gun on to Bob Munden for a tune and have the forcing cone reamed and the POI adjusted if necessary...I think it weights in at 32 ounces..I'll stick it in a Simply Rugger holster and call it good...

Barrel length matters with this sight-in with slow loads. Your load is probably about 800-850 fps from a short barrel. I would think the 45 cColt would regulate at about 900 to 1000 fps. Slower bullets hit higher and this is worse with short barrels. I would expect the Blackhawk to have enough sight to adjust to accomodate any load for the 45 Colt. My Bisley regulates at about 950 fps with this 280 grain load, about 980 fps if I recall. For my uses that is about right. The nice thing about this is that once we find the velocity to sight-in the fixed sight revolvers, bullet weight matters little. Any weight at that velocity will be close to POA. Bullets on the extreme end of the scale will be high or low but generally very close.

I took the sight leaf out and filed it down a little. It had a funky burr on it and it didn't fit the screw very well, I fixed that. I then took the elevation screw out and shortened it but it still bottoms out with some spring in the sight. I think I'll try the Rough Country sight by Hamilton Bowen, I prefer those any way, and see if that will correct it. If I can get it down to the bottom of the sight notch in the frame that will be enough. The rough country sight uses two elevation set screws on either end of the elevation screw to lock the sight up or down once in position. This is a very solid rear sight. It is also all machined from steel with a nice matt finish. These Rugers, good guns, lots of fun. I do like the Blackhawks. Your Montado sounds nice, I'm still looking for a new light weight Vaquero.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    I shot my Blackhawk SS .45 Colt yesterday at Brichwood with 300 gr. laser cast LBSGC with 10 grs. unique...I don't know what the vel. was but I'm at 2 inch groups @ 25 yards..thats about the best I can shoot with tri focal glasses...I have all the adjustments on my sights screwed down and I'm at 2 inches high...next I'll file the rear sight blade...I'm very happy with the BH....I carry it on the trail and have hunted moose with it, but didn't get a shot...It is a heavy gun...I have a Montado comming in the mail and will work up a load around a 260 gr. keith bullet @ 1,000 fps or so...I figger I"ll send that little gun on to Bob Munden for a tune and have the forcing cone reamed and the POI adjusted if necessary...I think it weights in at 32 ounces..I'll stick it in a Simply Rugger holster and call it good...
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Too many things to list here that are wrong for accuracy with heavy boolits.
    Why is it so common to ignore twist rates in handguns???? Why does anyone think any boolit of any weight will shoot good at any velocity? Not a single person here would think of such things with a rifle. When it comes to a revolver all knowledge goes out the window. Put a revolver in someones hand and if it goes "bang" it is good to go. UNREAL!
    And then to reduce loads with N110! Is it not a ball powder? Please tell me, I never used it but the load seems much too light for safety.
    Then the idea that a single action must slide and rotate in the hand, where did THAT come from?
    2" groups at 25 yards????? That is poor at 100 yards!

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    Why is it so common to ignore twist rates in handguns???? Why does anyone think any boolit of any weight will shoot good at any velocity? Not a single person here would think of such things with a rifle. When it comes to a revolver all knowledge goes out the window. Put a revolver in someones hand and if it goes "bang" it is good to go. UNREAL!
    And then to reduce loads with N110! Is it not a ball powder? Please tell me, I never used it but the load seems much too light for safety.
    Then the idea that a single action must slide and rotate in the hand, where did THAT come from?
    Did somebody cut you off in traffic today?

Different strokes for different folks there bfrshooter. For example. I really don't care how well my 4 inch barreled 45 Colt will shoot 200gr hollow points or what the accuracy is for ANY bullet at 100yds or more. I do however want it to shoot the heaviest bullet it can at 1100 fps or so. I can shoot 2 or 3 inch groups at 25yds with a 360gr hardcast at 1155fps so it's perfect for what it is intended for. It may be lousy shooting to you but it's great shooting for me. I could care less about having a 7-10 inch barreled handgun with a scope and a bipod that can shoot one ragged hole at 1-200yds. To me it's pointless and a waste of money to have a scope on a handgun. If I want to hunt or shoot holes in paint cans at those ranges I'll use a rifle.

OK. Is it my turn. BTW well said Perry. Thanks for stopping by BFR.
    We know you're a contankerous fart but likely one heck of a shot with a big bore, most of us pale in comparison with a handgun so we operate in different circles.

All I care about in my 4" revolver is for it to shoot nice round holes into a group that is equal to my ability. 2" at fifty yards with any such gun is dern fine shooting for any handgun shooter, me included. Iron sights, remember. But just so you know, I've shot many 4" groups at 100 yards with these same sights in factory stock Rugers at what ever twist they are. Also Vihta N110 or Norma R123 powders are not ball and can be loaded to moderate levels with very good consistant ignition and much better accuracy than any of the H110/W296 loads. This of course the real beauty of using good quality modern powders for big bore revolvers. And what could be unsafe about using less powder. Oh, yeah the erratic, squib load potential of Ball powder!!

Thank you for answering about N110, I really did not know.
    Yes, I am an accuracy nut with revolvers, I can't apologize for that. I know I should not get down on a guy that is happy with what he has. I CAN apologize for that.
    I just want every revolver shooter to get the most from his gun.

As both Snyd and Murphy have said, most handguns with the barrel length mentioned in the first post of this thread are carried in Alaska for one reason and one reason only...for the person carrying the revolver to stop a bear from using his/her legs as tooth-picks when a bear is done literally chewing on his/her @ss.

I don't discount the ability to reach out and touch an apple 4 or 5 times out of six at 100 yards, but that kind of accuracy will do us in Alaska no good when that 800lb beast is 40-50 yards off and closing in it at 30mph. We need mass and speed and we need to hit a pie plate bouncing at those ranges.

As far as the powder talk... I will leave that to Papa Murphy.

Yes, I am an accuracy nut with revolvers, I can't apologize for that. I know I should not get down on a guy that is happy with what he has. I CAN apologize for that.
    Last edited by AKArcher; 06-08-2009 at 21:01. Reason: clarrifying whose legs were being used ;)
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Ya, I've seen some of the pics of your long range shooting. You have definitely been able to get the most from your guns in that regard. With my new 4 inch Redhawk 45 Colt I would have been happy with 1000-1100fps with a 335gr cast bullet. Now that I have I worked up loads I am confident that I have gotten the most out of it, as you say. As I bumped up the load with the heavier 360gr bullet, the accuracy increased and it ended up exceeding my expectations. It's an "OH SHI?!?!?!!!" point and shoot at the "big brown fuzzy blurr" kind of a gun. Its intended purpose is more of a survival tool than anything else. But, the kill zone on a moose is about 4ft so it's accurate enough for that as well. Any recommendation on a 350-360gr LBT style mold close to the Cast Performance bullets?

Having said all that, I may just end up here next year with a BFR or FA or converted SBH in a 454 Casull and say to myself "self... what if you put a scope on that thing and took it sheep hunting!!" Never say never right ?!

My criterion for accuracy for my handgun shooting is if I'm able to consistanly hit a beer can at 25 yards I'm a happy man and feel that will meet all my handgun shooting needs...