Thread: Gulakana and Klutina

Default Gulakana and Klutina

Well two weeks until we depart for Alaska. We might make a little detour in our trip and head East towards Copper River. Is there any king fishing from shore to be had on the Gulkana and Klutina, and how about reds?

P.S. I see I spelled Gulkana Wrong in the title so need to mention that...I have had a couple of home brews...so back off
    Last edited by SheHateMe; 06-06-2009 at 19:27. Reason: Suck at typing..

Default Prime time for the Gulkana.....

Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    Well two weeks until we depart for Alaska. We might make a little detour in our trip and head East towards Copper River. Is there any king fishing from shore to be had on the Gulkana and Klutina, and how about reds?

P.S. I see I spelled Gulkana Wrong in the title so need to mention that...I have had a couple of home brews...so back off
    Mid-June to the End-June is prime time fishing on the Gulkana... Bank fishing can be limited, but is doable... Better if you can raft or jet boat it. Klutina can be good too, little early, but reds will be available too.... Caution, the Klutina is bring your sears and robuck crane and cable cause that water flat rips and it has kings that often exceed 50#.

Default Yes over 50 lbs

and even 60 lbs!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Definitely Stop at Klutina for Reds, they will be in there. There are plenty of nice Campgrounds there. To catch them just flip a coho fly with lead shot 18 inches above the fly, watch how other people are doing it and anyone can catch them. There is one old timer I've seen catch them while sitting down in a chair on the side of the river.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thumbs up Post to Lungshot.

WOW That king is hideously big. Did you catch it with a guide or on your own. Congrats, Thats awesome!

Default myself

On my own from the bank. Beef up ur gear, Fish in slow pools and dont let em out. After that it's just luck.

Default Klutina

I would not say anyone can catch them. If the run is anything like last year I saw allot of sad faces Even the regulars at times had trouble at times.

Has anyone fished the Tazlina River? If so when is good timing and how far do the salmon run up? I've heard some of the tribs have salmon in them.

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    Has anyone fished the Tazlina River? If so when is good timing and how far do the salmon run up? I've heard some of the tribs have salmon in them.
    As far as I know the Tazlina is closed to fishing...I would have to check the regs about tributaries.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

"Tazlina Lake and all flowing waters entering Tazlina Lake—except a ¼-mile radius around the mouth of Kaina Creek: Closed to king salmon fishing."

Thats all it says unless I am missing something. I might try it someday. I like to explore new areas. Especially with how slow it has been around the valley.

Default Klutina

I heard people catching reds as early as Memorial Weekend.

Lots of theories on when to go...so heres mine.

I count 10 days from the first (miles weir) count of 10,000 or more in a single day and if the daily count has consecutive 3 days or more of 10,000 or more.

I have yet to go with out a limit since I started this technique. It usually takes me to Klutina on the first weekend in June. I almost went for salmon at Klutina this last Friday.

I went for Pike this weekend instead, did anyone go to Klutina? Any reports?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Technique

I use a viewing globe. Has not failed me yet