Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seward Sockeye update...

Default Seward Sockeye update...

...or my grumpy Saturday morning

I checked the ADF&G site about the commercial Sockeye fishery yesterday around 2:00 and the only update was from May 27th. You see I woke up super early on Friday to fish the reds before work (even though it was a low tide...) only to find the river mouth corked up by seiners. Well it's supposed to be a M-F fishery, so I figured I'd give it a shot today (Saturday) before work and crawled out of bed super early again. It was nice to see only 4 people out there but not so nice to see a seiner! One boat had the whole mouth blocked and there was another one out there waiting their turn.
    I checked the website again today and heres the update posted Friday at 4:00 PM:

"In the Eastern District, LCI Emergency Order #4-09 liberalizes the weekly fishing period for hatchery seining in marine waters of the Bear Lake Special Harvest Area (SHA) in Resurrection Bay to seven days per week, effective at 10:00 p.m. Friday, June 5, until further notice. All waters along the west shore of Resurrection Bay west of a line from the old military dock pilings north of Caines Head to an ADF&G regulatory marker near the Seward Airport continue to remain closed to all seining. In addition, the airport marker represents one of two markers delineating the Resurrection River mouth, and fishing is allowed up to these markers during open fishing periods. Hatchery seiners are also reminded that, by regulation, Chinook salmon may not be taken in any waters of Resurrection Bay since this species is allocated to the recreational fishery. The reported hatchery seine harvest in waters of Resurrection Bay stands at nearly 40,000 sockeyes through June 4, with a value representing one-third of the 2009 Trail Lakes Hatchery revenue goal. Escapement counts at the Bear Creek weir cumulatively totaled 1,900 sockeye salmon through June 4."

I've fished this spot alot in the past and I know how seiners can shut us down on the shore. But thats how it goes and we deal with it. This year there are fewer boats allowed to fish. I hope Trail Lakes Hatchery makes their goal soon so the shore fishing gets better.

Does anyone know if Low Tide is preferable to seiners or if I just happened to catch them both times? I have a feeling the fish will come in when they're hauling the catch back to the processor so I'd like to fish then. Generally I prefer to fish the incoming to high tide anyway so I think I'll give up on early mornings and low tide.

Oh, and FYI, nobody was catching fish this morning and very few were caught yesterday morning. Generally the fishing has been good, but I'd suggest not wasting the gas to come to Seward until the above mentioned revenue goal is met.

Arrow Hit or Miss

Two friends and I tried our luck snagging on the incoming tide last Sunday morning. Only saw around five hauled in during that period and our group ended up going home empty handed.

Success seems to vary from tide to tide and day to day...

Default seward reds

My wife and and several nurses have limited out several times and got skunked several times, does seem hit or miss.

Default When is the best time to fish tide-wise?

We tried this for the first time last year and got skunked. Was also extremely crowded. Apparently we just hit an "off" tide, though, as people were saying how great it was on the earlier tide. Anyway, tide-wise, when is the best time to try to hit this and be successful?

Default just got back from seward

while we were down there we fished the incoming tide and i got two. we went to dinner and came back at low tide and my brother and stepdad got 5 total and i lost six. make sure you check your hook periodically the sand tends to dull them a bit. lots of people down there. costs 5 bucks per person to fish there under 16 are free.

Default Need update on Seward Reds 6-10-09...

Going to Seward tonight to catch the 0300 tide for Reds. Any last updates on fish Quantities?? What size/ ounce snagging hook is best and is it a 24 hr fishery??? Thanx

Default answer to your question..

yes it is a 24 hr fishery and the best snagging hook is the medium sized one dont use the smaller ones they tend to miss the fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    Going to Seward tonight to catch the 0300 tide for Reds. Any last updates on fish Quantities?? What size/ ounce snagging hook is best and is it a 24 hr fishery??? Thanx
    Please post a report...I would guess your timing should be as good as it gets, i.e., less fishers and probably no com boats...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Seward Reds

My wife and a couple of her friend just got back, and limited out. They said they also lost a bunch. They go 1-2 hours before high tide and get set-up for high tide.

Default F&G News

"In the Eastern District, marine waters of the Bear Lake Special Harvest Area (SHA) in Resurrection Bay are currently open to hatchery-only seining seven days per week until further notice. All waters along the west shore of Resurrection Bay west of a line from the old military dock pilings north of Caines Head to an ADF&G regulatory marker near the Seward Airport continue to remain closed to all seining. In addition, the airport marker represents one of two markers delineating the Resurrection River mouth, and fishing is allowed up to these markers during open fishing periods. Hatchery seiners are also reminded that, by regulation, Chinook salmon may not be taken in any waters of Resurrection Bay since this species is allocated to the recreational fishery. The reported hatchery seine harvest in waters of the Bear Lake SHA stands at approximately 64,000 sockeyes through June 8, worth an estimated value that represents slightly more than one-half of the 2009 Trail Lakes Hatchery revenue goal. Escapement counts at the Bear Creek weir cumulatively totaled 6,100 sockeye salmon through June 8, or about 47% of the desired inriver return."

Got 0 fish on the 2nd half of the incoming High Tide...Everyone that was there at the 1st half of the incoming got limits or close to the limit. No com Boats and about 15 people

Just talked to someone who was down there with a party of three for two days. They came back with 36 big, fresh reds. Ya'll can go fish the Russian...I'm heading to Seward.

Fish incoming tides at MacDonalds on Nash Rd. Lots of fish and not as many as the Russian River. Snagging is legal & the cost is $5 to get across the land.

Any newer reports for the reds in Seward? My first chance to get down there will be late tonight/early tomorrow morning. I don't want to waste the trip when I could hit the opening of the sanctuary at the Russian. On the other hand, it's double the limit in Seward, and I need as many fish as possible.

Smile Good on Saturday

A buddy and I were there on Saturday. Arrived about an hour before low tide and noticed several commercial boats anchored just offshore as well as probably 150 to 200 people lined up along the river channel.

Some folks were doing well, but most were having little to no success until the incoming tide. As the water level rose and flooded more of the area, schools of fish rode the tide in and scattered out over a huge area. That about the time that the boats pulled anchor and departed, too.

Most people continued to target the main river channel, but there were so many fish in the general vicinity that it wasn't necessary to stand elbow to elbow and snag combat style.

Many others, including my friend and I, just waded out into the "open water" away from the crowd and managed to find roaming schools of sockeye. The fish were 360 degrees around us, so it really didn't matter what direction we cast in.

The water level was around waist deep and the bottom was fairly flat. The wind was blowing fairly hard and a big wave would hit us in the chest every so often, but the current wasn't very strong.

The biggest challenge was securing fish to the stringer since we were too far from shore to land them. As a two-man team, we improvised an effective solution. One guy would grab the fish by the tail, then get a grip under the gill plate with the other hand. The fellow with the fish on the line would bonk it, bleed it and put it on the stringer.

Be sure to use heavy enough line and a fairly tight drag. My friend had no trouble hauling in the sockeye with 25 pound test, while my reel was spooled with 12 pound and managed to break off quite a few.

When we left at 5:30 p.m. near the peak of high tide, my buddy ended up with a limit of six and I had five. We each probably lost at least a dozen more.

Seward is a great place to harvest reds for the freezer. It's a lot of fun and there seem to be plenty of fish for everyone. Saw countless numbers of people with limits, especially as the tide flow increased. Kids should do well when the fish are coming in good -- especially along the main river channel where the water is shallow.

A word of caution though. It's definitely a hit or miss fishery. We talked to a guy who said the previous high tide was totally dead. Only way to know is to give it a try. Good luck.

Default look for the jumpers

when a fish jumps that is a sure sign that the school is in that vicinity...

I was there on Saturday for both tides. This was some of the worst combat fishing I have ever seen. It was shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of people. At the Russian people are flipping, but in Seward everybody is casting across the channel at one another with weighted snagging treble hooks and then ripping them back towards shore with all their might. There are those that like to cast downstream and work their hooks back up so their line is crossing over everybody else's. At one point I saw 6 people tangled with one another from both sides of the channel. When they pulled all of the slack out it looked like power lines running across the river. Then there's the challenge of figuring who is going to open their bails and let somebody untangle the mess which was compounded by many people using braided line. I had the unfortunate pleasure of untangling one of these messes when one guy, who didn't know his line was tangled in the mess, started ripping his line. I almost ended up with some hand piercings.

I caught some fish, but I spent most of my time untangling my line from somebody else's. I would suggest wearing some old waders that you don't mind getting snagged with hooks, some sort of eye protection and use monofiliment instead of braid.

On the funny side of things, I saw a lady hauling in a fish with all her might trying to work it back to shore. When the hook ripped out she fell straight back into the water and got soaked from head to toe. She headed for the parking lot after that. That water is freezing cold so I didn't blame her.

I was in Seward Saturday, loads of people participating in the protein harvest.. it is not fishing. ... more like "combat snagging" at its finest.Be careful and wear eye protection when fishing in that war zone. It is ugly down there.

Where is the best place to give it a try? Lowell creek or somewhere else? I'm not very familiar with the Seward area...so directions would be great! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishinGirl View Post
    Where is the best place to give it a try? Lowell creek or somewhere else? I'm not very familiar with the Seward area...so directions would be great! Thanks!
    Take Nash Rd down to the bay/flats area.

Also check page 58 of the fishing regs for a map showing the salt water area open to fishing/snagging.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast