Thread: North Slope Caribou Bow Hunt in July

Default North Slope Caribou Bow Hunt in July

I have a caribou hunt planned for the second week in July on the North Slope. If anyone has been up there bow hunting at that time can you please let me know what to expect. How far north should I plan on driving? Is the herd spread out or bunched up at that time of year? Thanks

I have gone up there in July 1 time. The herd was so spred out that we only seen one caribou. Also the bugs were terrible.
    I would go the end of Aug. or the first or mid Sept. I have gone this time of year every year since,and have taken some really nice bulls every time. The herd also seems together more.

They'll be spread out and hard to predict exactly where they may be.
    As mentined, the bugs will drive you insane, go prepared, head net, gloves, bug stuff
    All will be in velvet

Default July

If it is cool and windy they will be easy pickings. Hot and still you won't see hardly any and the bugs will carry you off. I have hunted in July up there 3 times. 1 year we all got our bou on day 1. Second year we went 2 for 3 with one guy not trying too hard. Last time it was 70 degrees and we hated it. The bou will be right in Deadhorse or outside probably. We did however see a nice bull across Atigun near the road maintenance shed in the driveway on the way back. We usually go for 2 days.

Have fun, bring ICE in coolers for your meat to be safe. Horns are clublike but the meat is good.

Gooch