Thread: Dungeness tasted like ammonia

Default Dungeness tasted like ammonia

I was at a picnic this afternoon where someone provided some fresh dungeness crab. I ate an entire leg cluster, but when I got to the claw, the meat inside tasted of ammonia . Does anyone know what would cause that?

Ammonia smell = not fresh, or not cared for properly. Either way, avoid it next time

probably didn't cook it long enough, and the claw mean was underdone and went bad.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I am guessing here, but couldn't that be a result of dead crab being cooked?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I am guessing here, but couldn't that be a result of dead crab being cooked?
    I cook my dungies dead all the time w/ no ammonia... the trick is to keep them COLD and DRY-ish (well iced but not a slush box!) after they've been cleaned.

Bad meat in just a claw segment might be from crab cooked in a small or too full pot where the claw(s) was sticking out of the boiling water leaving it undercooked to then go bad.

If it smells of fish or ammonia (or poo) pass it on to the other crabs...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Undercooked

My vote is for "undercooked". Ammonia smell is a sign of poor handling in any shellfish. As others above suggested - either the cook pot was too small (leaving parts of crab outside where full boiling temp does not get to the inner meat), the section was not left in the boiling water for long enough to cook through, or the crab had been butchered earlier and the sections were not kept cold before being undercooked. These are all BAD circumstances for the casual crab eater! Pass on "ammonia" crab in the future - your intestines will thank you. ;-]

I use to work in at a seafood distributer. When lobsters die they become amoniated. They reak like amonia. That's why you are suppose to cook them while they are alive. I would be willing to bet a stack of money crabs are the same. They probably died before being cooked and thus were amoniated. You're lucky you didn't get sick.

Brett

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the information! I will be sure to pass it on to the person who provided the crab. Luckily I didn't get sick!

Most shellfish (if not all of them) will poison themselves if they are allowed to die on thier own. That is why you should always either par boil the little critters or break off the edible parts while they are still alive.