Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: 45 colt throat reamer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    58

    Default 45 colt throat reamer

    Well I got the new 45 Colt Blackhawk convertable. Has anyone done or had done a throat reamer job on this particular handgun. I plan on shooting plain base boolits (RCBS 45- 270-SAA). I understand the throats on the Rugers run small? does anyone in Fairbanks do this.(I don't hold fairbanks gunsmiths in very high esteem ) 80.00 for reamer and 50.00 for pilots bushing set from Brownels> Do it myself and sell reamer on Ebay? What should the boolits be sized to?? Thanks for information in advance

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Congrats on the new Ruger! I just got a Redhawk 45 Colt and near as I can measure it looks like the throats are .4515. I can't shove a .452 boolit through the cylinder but I have developed a heavy .452 360gr load that shoots great. I slugged the bore and it's .451. Have you slugged your bore and measured the cylinder throats? How does yours shoot? I'd shoot a few different loads first. I seem to have read that the history of the Ruger throats was that they were to loose, then to tight and now pretty good. But, I may be interested in sharing the cost with you and maybe another guy so I could ream mine to .452. Then we could sell it on ebay. But, I'm not sure I should even mess with it. I need to shoot it some more I think before I do anything.

    Did I run in to you in Frontier a while back when you were ordering your gun? If it wasn't you then there is another guy around here that just got one as well.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Thank you for the info. I have not slugged the barrel. I do have a new set of pin gauges I could try out and maybe measure the throats. I have been assembling reloading stuff and have almost everything. I still need to get the handle for the RCBS mould and a sizing die for the lubrisizer.

    I went to Frontier last month and they did not have any 45colt Blackhawks. I did not want to get the Venquero spelling?? because I wanted to go for the more robust loads and have the ajustable sights. So it was not me ordering the Blackhawk. After I recieved the revolver Sentry had one on display that they had just got in. It was not a convertable which I understand Ruger is not making right now. I am very pleased with the Blackhawk I bought.

    As far a shooting the new gun I hope I can get around to doing that before hunting season. So many toys so little time.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
    Well I got the new 45 Colt Blackhawk convertable. Has anyone done or had done a throat reamer job on this particular handgun. I plan on shooting plain base boolits (RCBS 45- 270-SAA). I understand the throats on the Rugers run small? does anyone in Fairbanks do this.(I don't hold fairbanks gunsmiths in very high esteem ) 80.00 for reamer and 50.00 for pilots bushing set from Brownels> Do it myself and sell reamer on Ebay? What should the boolits be sized to?? Thanks for information in advance
    In your shoes I'd get the gear from Brownel and do it myself, but keep it rather than peddle it if you're getting into the cast bullet game. A flatter-than-factory throat angle will greatly cut down any leading potential while often helping accuracy as well. As you shoot more cast bullets in other handguns, sooner or later you're going to be reaming the throats on every one of them. It's a really easy job taking about 5 minutes with Brownels great little tool, and you'll be sorry if you sell it.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
    Thank you for the info. I have not slugged the barrel. I do have a new set of pin gauges I could try out and maybe measure the throats. I have been assembling reloading stuff and have almost everything. I still need to get the handle for the RCBS mould and a sizing die for the lubrisizer.

    I went to Frontier last month and they did not have any 45colt Blackhawks. I did not want to get the Venquero spelling?? because I wanted to go for the more robust loads and have the ajustable sights. So it was not me ordering the Blackhawk. After I recieved the revolver Sentry had one on display that they had just got in. It was not a convertable which I understand Ruger is not making right now. I am very pleased with the Blackhawk I bought.

    As far a shooting the new gun I hope I can get around to doing that before hunting season. So many toys so little time.
    Ahh..well I was in Frontier yesterday, and they had one new Blackhawk in 45 Colt, maybe you saw this one. It has a 4 5/8" barrel....I had some money in my pocket let over from my last trip...it was stuffed in my passport case. Well it was a funny thing, the 357 was priced at $559, (was this a convertable?) the 45 Colt was priced at $459 and they gave a 5% discount for cash. What could I do? For less than $440 I get a new Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I found that this model has an alloy grip frame, but in that new XR3 style like the new Vaquero, I didn't know they made an alloy frame of those dimensions. I assumed it was steel until I got it home. It has a steel ejector housing.

    I was on the prowl for a 4 5/8" Vaquero in the Caliber but this will do 'til I find one. The new slim and trim Vaqueroes do have steel grip frames, or they did the last I saw of them.

    I tried to make a good measure of the throats with the wrong equipment, a dial caliper, but it looks as if they hover around .453" and one is a full thousandth smaller, not good.

    Here is my take on the throat/groove/bullet diameters. In a perfect world;

    The barrel groove diameter will be .4520" (or at least .4515" to .4520") and uniform from end to end.

    The throats will be all of the same diameter of exactly .4530" ( or uniform at .4525" to .4530") and the bullets will all be .4520".

    The bullet should be at least equal to groove diameter, preferably .001" larger. The could be .0015" larger.
    The throats should be .0005" to .001" larger than the bullets, and of course perfectly round.

    We do not want the throats to swaged down the bullet that we have so carefully sized to fit the barrel. This can cause poor accuracy and leading in the cone and barrel.

    Speaking of the forcing cone it must be true and without burrs and the correct angle. There are tools to cut the throats and the forcing cone from Brownells and Gunbugs on this forum odes great work and has the stuff to do the throats, I'm not sure about the cone,
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rural Georgia
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Hi! I'm bringing my Blackhawk .45 to Alaska this year - in 2007 I brought my Super Redhawk .454., I wanted to have something a bit smaller. I had my cylinder reamed last year by user "cas" who frequents: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

    I had to send the cylinder off to him (Long Island, NY if I remember correctly. The price was quite decent. You might want to check with him. Turn around time was very quick - from shipping it out until receiving it back, maybe 8 or 10 days.

    This is a pic of mine with some 300g hardcasts I loaded for my trip:

  7. #7
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
    Well I got the new 45 Colt Blackhawk convertable. Has anyone done or had done a throat reamer job on this particular handgun. I plan on shooting plain base boolits (RCBS 45- 270-SAA). I understand the throats on the Rugers run small? does anyone in Fairbanks do this.(I don't hold fairbanks gunsmiths in very high esteem ) 80.00 for reamer and 50.00 for pilots bushing set from Brownels> Do it myself and sell reamer on Ebay? What should the boolits be sized to?? Thanks for information in advance
    I'd start by contacting Clymers? They're famous for making very good reamers(maybe even Brownells) these reamers and will freely give you all the help(information) you may need.
    http://www.clymertool.com/design/index.html
    Steve

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Thanks to everyone who has offered the information. The .451 pin gauge will go in the throat. .452 pin gauge will not. A .452 Hornady jacketed bullet will not go into the throat.

    I drove a Midway .455 lead bullet thrue the barrel (with a brass rod) but with my fat fingers and 70 year old eyes I did not get a good take on the land diameter. Gonna assume .452 for bore diameter.

    For a drive you nuts exercise try and order a Redding 45 profile crimp die, a RCBS mould handle and a RCBS or Lyman 454 bullet sizing die from the same place. I can get 2 out of 3. All I want to do is save on postage.

    Looks like maybe Gunstop Reloading supply in Minnasota may have everything. Will try the on line order and see what happens.

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Northcountry.
    I'm going to send my Redhawk cylinder off to http://www.cylindersmith.com/ (Cas who Tomiswho mentioned above) to get the throats reamed to .4525. He gives a discount for sending him two cylinders. Are you interested? He charges 30 bucks plus 9 bucks shipping or 50 bucks, 13 bucks shipping for two. We can mail them in a flat rate box for 5 bucks. I'm here in Fairbanks. Let me know if you are interested. I sent you a pm as well.

    Perry

  10. #10
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Northcountry.
    I'm going to send my Redhawk cylinder off to http://www.cylindersmith.com/ (Cas who Tomiswho mentioned above) to get the throats reamed to .4525. He gives a discount for sending him two cylinders. Are you interested? He charges 30 bucks plus 9 bucks shipping or 50 bucks, 13 bucks shipping for two. We can mail them in a flat rate box for 5 bucks. I'm here in Fairbanks. Let me know if you are interested. I sent you a pm as well.

    Perry
    I think a better method would be to have the cylinder honed, to your desired diameter? More control, better finish.
    Steve

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    137

    Default

    For what it's worth, I had Cas (cylindersmith.com) ream the throats on my .45 Redhawk and he did a great job. When it was shipped back to me it was very carefully packaged as well.

    I can't recommend him enough.

    Mike

  12. #12
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    For what it's worth, I had Cas (cylindersmith.com) ream the throats on my .45 Redhawk and he did a great job. When it was shipped back to me it was very carefully packaged as well.

    I can't recommend him enough.

    Mike
    What was the accuracy improvement?

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    I've talked to guys on the Ruger forums who highly recommend Cas as well. It looks like NorthCountry and I are going to send him our 3 cylinders and get the 3 cylinder discount. It will only cost us 30 bucks per cylinder including shipping both ways.

    S.B. - .4525 is what the throats need to be. I've slugged my bore a few times and it's .451. As near as I can measure the throats are .4515. I cannot push a .452 bullet through the cylinder. This should be perfect, .452 bullets slipping through .4525 throats down a .451 bore. The rest is up to me!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    What was the accuracy improvement?
    I don't recall offhand, but I want to say that it was just barely noticeable. The gun was already plenty accurate for me (2 - 3" at 25 yards), so I was more worried about excessive pressures with my +P loads.

    Mike

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I don't recall offhand, but I want to say that it was just barely noticeable. The gun was already plenty accurate for me (2 - 3" at 25 yards), so I was more worried about excessive pressures with my +P loads.

    Mike
    That's kind of where I'm at. I think my Redhawk can shoot better than I can but I'm shooting some stout 360gr loads in it as well. I figured it prolly can't hurt anything to ream the throats. Mine and Northcountry's are in the mail as I write this. I'll post when I get it back and see how it groups. Here is a before pic. 4inch Redhawk, 360gr Cast Performance, 1155fps, 25yds with a rest. I ended up putting one more in the midst of the 5.


  16. #16
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Snyd , I see you use the exact same targets(paper plates) I do? Work very well if I paste one of the red dots in their center.
    Steve


  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce
    Posts
    555

    Default Snyd, have you received the cylinders back yet?

    "Mine and Northcountry's are in the mail as I write this. I'll post when I get it back and see how it groups."

    Snyd,

    I've been trying to follow your progress on your Rugers. I am very curious about the cylinder work you are having done.
    I have a stainless 4 5/8 inch barreled blackhawk that I just had the opportunity to shoot for the first time in August while home on leave. To say the least I was disappointed with the results. It was 18-20 inches high and left out of the box. Adjusting the sights as far as possible brought it to eight-nine inches high. I just ordered a replacement front sight, that is .595", from Brownell's. When I return to Alaska in February I hope that solves the sighting issue for me.

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    That's kind of where I'm at. I think my Redhawk can shoot better than I can but I'm shooting some stout 360gr loads in it as well. I figured it prolly can't hurt anything to ream the throats. Mine and Northcountry's are in the mail as I write this. I'll post when I get it back and see how it groups. Here is a before pic. 4inch Redhawk, 360gr Cast Performance, 1155fps, 25yds with a rest. I ended up putting one more in the midst of the 5.


    That is a very good load you have there Perry. I do think the Ruger out shoots you though. My Rugers out gun me all the time.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  19. #19
    Member JoeJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    207

    Default JoeJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I have a stainless 4 5/8 inch barreled blackhawk that I just had the opportunity to shoot for the first time in August while home on leave. To say the least I was disappointed with the results. It was 18-20 inches high and left out of the box. Adjusting the sights as far as possible brought it to eight-nine inches high. I just ordered a replacement front sight, that is .595", from Brownell's. When I return to Alaska in February I hope that solves the sighting issue for me.
    What weight bullets were you shooting? It's not unusual to be shooting 8" high at 25 yards with the 4 5/8 inch blackhawk with 335 grain bullets at 1,200+fps with no adjustment left. You shouldn't have the problem with 240 to 270 grainers. I'm not aware of any aftermarket rear sights that will correct this problem. You might have to go for a different front sight - some will have the blade cut off and a slot milled in the base for inserts. I wish you well and keep checkin 6.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce
    Posts
    555

    Default 335 grain Alaskan Backpackers

    Joel,

    I was using the 335 grain Alaskan Backpackers. In August when I was home, I couldn't find any other weight or brand in Anchorage, go figure. lol

    And I was only home two weeks and they were planned out, so I didn't have time to put in the effort of reloading.

    As mentioned, I have ordered a replacement front sight that is .595" tall. This is taller than the factory sight and should lower my point of aim and POI enough to allow me to adjust the rear sight as needed. The sight was ordered today, and will be there within the week. Then all I have to do is have it installed and wait until February when I get home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •