Thread: Valdez timing

Default Valdez timing

I'm trying to decide between July and August to take the family to Valdez. I would like my 8 year olds to be able to catch fish from the shore and I dont care which species. With it being an odd year should I wait for August and the silvers? Thanks for the advice.

Can't go wrong either way, really, but the silvers pour into the bay later in August. And man, they are big, fat, fun to catch silvers.

The pinks come in huge, huge numbers, so if you just want the kiddos to catch something, I'd shoot for end of July, early August.

Not sure the odd/even year plays much roll in Valdez, since I think most of those fish are hatchery fish?

would you recommend trolling in the bay for the pinks and silvers?

For pinks, there's excellent fishing from shore (Allison Point). Depending on where the silvers school up, there can be excellent shore fishing for them as well. But, if you have a boat or access to one, trolling is the most common method. I did really well last fall just finding a big school of jumpers and casting whole troll herring into them. Instead of zipping it through a school (trolling) I just let it free-float and they would find it. It's actually a lot of fun that way. I use the same technique from shore for silvers, and I seem to out-catch just about everyone. Not sure why more people don't do this, as it's pretty KISS simple and highly effective. It also saves a lot of gas over trolling.

Default pinks for kids rule

take your 8 year old to Allison point in July to catch pinks. He will catch twenty + fish all by himself and have a blast. go during low tide and walk out on the sand bar and watch the schools of fish swim by. He will have trouble with the silvers I think.