Thread: How's the Set Netting?

Default How's the Set Netting?

Kasilof folks should have some reports on early reds/kings for setnetting the mouth; anyone have any good news?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

(just wrote the below and realized I have absolutely nothing to contribute in answer to your post, sorry the completely unhelpful post!)

I did this once a few years ago and loved it,

I just haven't been able to pull together the logistics to make the trek from fairbanks...not knowing if you'll get a spot on the beach, or a spot to camp in the parking lot, etc...plus it's a tiny short season and it's a little risky to do it in a suicide weekend - if you don't do well it's a lot of investment!

But I still wish I could get it together enough to go again - it really is a great fishery if you've got help to work it and of course the gear.

interesting to hear how it goes

I've never done this fishery, but if I''ve read the regs correctly you don't need to 'set' your setnet on the beach. The outer limit of this fishery is a mile offshore. If you have a boat, net, weights and floats you're good to go.

interesting - never really read it with that angle

when I was there I remember a lot of boats out working nets off the beach - many were commercial, but maybe some weren't

Speaking of commercial boats, that's the other big issue I have going all the way from fairbanks - if a commercial opener happens while you're there for a couple days you might come home with few fish. I usually don't mind that when sport fishing, but when spending hundreds of dollars in gas and other supplies to put fish in my freezer I really don't want to come home with anything less than a limit.

looks like no fish counts this year on the kasilof? http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

Default Kasilof Personal Use Setnetting

In light of the fact that your allotment is the same dipping as setnetting, the amount of work necessary to do a personal use setnet in competition with those who already have an established system makes it unattractive to me.

If you want to make it worthwhile from Fairbanks, I'd travel light with a dinky boat or inflatable and a decent kicker and watch the numbers here:

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/mariner/uci/uciesc.php

You'll clean up with a boat on the Kasilof when the shore fishing is slow. You don't have to fight the muck, the currents, or the crowds, and you can throw your boat in right upstream of the point.

Watch the seals and find a fresh school coming in with the tide way past the can on the north shore and leapfrog your way up around the point with them.

We prefer a Waveeater Class 12' Smokercraft with a 6hp kicker. Check out our results on the Kenai with this method at:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pictureid=5311

I prefer the Kenai for providing the larger fish for the family, but I prefer the Kasilof for the kids and family safety.

~tr