Thread: Any ideas for a weekend by Glen Allen?

Default Any ideas for a weekend by Glen Allen?

My wife and I are headed up to Glen Allen/Copper Center this weekend to camp and fish. I know we should probably be heading down to the Kenai for salmon, but we always drive that direction.

Anyway, we're still pretty new to Alaska and haven't really spent anytime up there yet? Does anyone have any general ideas about where we should set up shop? We'll be in a tent and have no watercraft other than a float tube. Or maybe just tell us we're crazy and should head down to the Kenai or up the Parks.

And fishing is good fishing with us, fly or spinning. Though I think I should probably be scared of the Copper from what I've heard.

Default Gulkana Bridge

I would head straight for the Bridge at the Gulkana River. The kings are coming and no crowds yet! Weather is fantastic. You can always head to Chitna and take the kids for a hike up Liberty Falls.

Walt

Thanks. I'm convinced and will do just that. And the bridge is the Richardson?

Exciting stuff, just got to get out of work.

And evidently you can use roe if you're upstream of the bridge. Awesome stuff, thanks for the tip.

Default Early... But these fish are awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    Thanks. I'm convinced and will do just that. And the bridge is the Richardson?

Exciting stuff, just got to get out of work.
    The early fish are screamers and chrome... Depends on the water conditions, but likely good considering the dry spring.

I you get tired of Gulkana, head down the the Klutina River and try your luck for some Red. I limited out on them this early last season and they are a blast to catch. Use the same technique that you would for Kenai Reds. Coho Fly and Shot at least 18" above the hook. Then just flip for them. Groves Klutina or Klutina Campground are nice places to stay, they are both off of the old highway.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/