Thread: Chest holster for a XD 45

Default Chest holster for a XD 45

What is a good chest holster for the XD 45?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but check out http://simplyrugged.com./ Rob makes great stuff. I just bought a pancake holster from him and he has what he calls the Chesty Puller system that you can use with most of his holsters.

A freind has one he bought from GNG and loves it. Been looking at them to get one myself.

The Diamond D Leather ones from Dave johnston. we sell a bunch of them for the XDs in 460 Rowland

Thanks for the replies. Any pictures of these holsters?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

alaska sportsman holster! sold at GNG, Northern Securities and Mountain View sports. Works good. In the pic is my browning .22. Main use is for my G20 with 6" KKM barrel. Fits both auto's nicely. I am never without a pistol. As you can see all my gear fits on me just fine! Everything is usable and I can whip that pistol out in no time! I have done it when the dog gets on a bear! In the spare mag pouch I carry a leatherman wave and magnesium fire starter. 12 rounds in the pistol. Even have a rig for 8 barrel revolvers that I gave to my dad. Wore that in a brown bear hunt every day for 8 days. Comfortable rigs. Easy on the guns. $70 everywhere pretty much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Any pictures of these holsters?

I carry a 44 in one of Davids on my Dirtbike,I don't even know it's there.

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html

I second Dave's holsters. I'm pretty stoked about mine for the .44. I'm getting one for the .45 as well.

They can be worn all day with comfort. At $145 they aren't the cheapest but they are quality and he'll fix or replace any problems that you may have with no questions asked. He lives in Chugiak and usually has the goods in stock. He made me a custom with a 2 day turnaround.

Plus, he's an awesome guy.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I'm a really big fan of the chest holster at Survivalsheath.com theyy are molded black kydex holsters. I carried one for almost 6 years with my 4" 629 smith and just recently got one for my glock 20sf. I cant say enough good things about them. MY buddy just got one for his XD 40 and really likes it too.

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

alaska sportsman holster! sold at GNG, Northern Securities and Mountain View sports.
    I have two of these holsters also and I love them..except for one thing. If you have a spare mag in the mag pouch you cannot get ahold of the grip on the pistol quickly. Since my XD-M holds 16 rounds of .40, I just don't carry a spare mag. The second holster holds my kid's 5 1/2" bull barreled Ruger MkII. It's the first holster we have found for that particular pistol. I used the large auto size for my XD-M and small auto size for the kid's pistol. The fact that it's nylon is a plus for me vs. the leather holsters from Dave.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The fact that it's nylon is a plus for me vs. the leather holsters from Dave.

Exactly!! His stuff looks like quality, just don't like the fact of wet leather against a firearm!

For the spare mag pouch. I carry a spare for the .22. For the 10mm I don't. I carry the leather man tool and magnesium fire starter. Nice little survival package and easy access to pistol. Nice light rig. The .44 I sold always sat on the boat or at home, or in the pack! This rig and the glock goes everywhere with me in the woods or trails!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Exactly!! His stuff looks like quality, just don't like the fact of wet leather against a firearm!
    I find leather holsters work way better in the wet than the cloth holsters. Leather will dry out overnight, but I have had a cloth holster stay wet for almost a week after a dunking in a river and that was in the dry air and heat of Arizona. A leather holster seams to wick water away from the gun like a true leather shame does on a wet cars paint job. Leather is also less abrasive to the finish on the gun in my view. I think we are still a very long way from having anything better for boots and holsters than leather.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I find leather holsters work way better in the wet than the cloth holsters. Leather will dry out overnight, but I have had a cloth holster stay wet for almost a week after a dunking in a river and that was in the dry air and heat of Arizona. A leather holster seams to wick water away from the gun like a true leather shame does on a wet cars paint job. Leather is also less abrasive to the finish on the gun in my view. I think we are still a very long way from having anything better for boots and holsters than leather.
    I think maybe the nylon holsters retain water because they are padded. You'd think the nylon wouldn't absorb water.

The big plus for Dave Johnstons chest holsters is they go on and off easiest, and hold the gun tight, no movement in the holster, at all, even without a snap, or loop, AND there is a tension screw to adjust it.

They're probably bout the best thing goin for a field gun, anyway. We've gotten 4 holsters from Dave so far. Only one is the chest version, but they all hold the gun tight. They come out quick and easy too.

I think his prices are quite reasonable, especially, considering they're quality and usefulness.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have two of these holsters also and I love them..except for one thing. If you have a spare mag in the mag pouch you cannot get ahold of the grip on the pistol quickly. Since my XD-M holds 16 rounds of .40, I just don't carry a spare mag. The second holster holds my kid's 5 1/2" bull barreled Ruger MkII. It's the first holster we have found for that particular pistol. I used the large auto size for my XD-M and small auto size for the kid's pistol. The fact that it's nylon is a plus for me vs. the leather holsters from Dave.
    I ended up with the alaska sportsman holster, and I agree that the extra mag makes it more difficult to grab the grip quickly. The 45 holds 13 rounds which is plenty for most of my uses. I like akrstabout's idea about having a small survival kit stashed in the magazine pouch. I took it flyfishing on the russian this weekend and it always was accesable and never got in the way. Thanks for the help everyone.

The Alaska Sportsman maker is now aware of my issue. I emailed him and he offered to take back the holster to see if he could redesgn it. Looking it over, I don't know if it can be done. Personally I am very satified with it and don't mind that the mag pouch is not usable with my certain pistol. Great customer service and that means a lot to me.

My issue with leather is that repeated soaking have reduced a couple leather holsters (from high quality makers) to sloppy useless pockets of leather.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My issue with leather is that repeated soaking have reduced a couple leather holsters (from high quality makers) to sloppy useless pockets of leather.
    Once it has been molded leather needs to be sealed with something like Camp Dry or another silicone water repellent for use in the wet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona