Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rain Gear Suggestions????

Default Hunting Rain Gear Suggestions????

Greetings.

I'm in the market for a new set of rain gear. They need to be light, tough as heck and not outrageously expensive. Any suggestions?

God bless.
    Fr. Joe

My suggestion: Compromise on you criterion. Nothing has it all and for cheap. If you do find it let me know I'll buy it too. Helle Hanson is good, but not the toughest. Mountain Hardware and Marrmot make some light weight tougher gear, but not cheap. Sitka makes some excellent hunting rain wear, but outragiously expensive. Actually not that outragious for what it is just a lot of money. Good luck.

Brett

HH Impertech II. HH has a 30% sale right now on impertech Jacket, bib pant, and pants in solid green. http://www.hellyhansengear.com/s-2-impertech.aspx

Default I recently purchased

Helly Hansen Impertech...I really like mine, but I only have the jacket.....for now.

If mostly for hunting frog togs are are very light and work great

Default HH Impertech

Joe,

As you can imagine, there are a few items of gear that are extremely important to Alaskans. When something breaks or doesn't work as advertised up here, it can quickly turn into a survival situation. This is especially true on remote flyout hunts. For this reason, Alaskans are always searching for the best gear. When we think we've found it, we usually become a strong advocate for it. That is certainly the case with Alaskan's love for Helly Hansen Impertech raingear.

It has been the experience of many of us that raingear claiming to be breathable eventually leaks. Usually around the shoulder seams, or pretty much anywhere a needle has penetrated the material. HH Impertech is 100% waterproof, very light, and is whisper quiet in the brush. The outside coating is a rubberized material that is totally smooth (that's why it's so quiet).

It is available in camo or OD green. You have your choice of three jacket lengths; short, regular or parka. The short jacket is ideal if you're wearing breathable chest waders (growing in popularity on fall hunts in Alaska), the regular can work with hip boots (another old Alaska standby; especially on moose hunts), but that jacket is just a bit too short to cover the tops of your hippers. The parka length jacket is best if you wear hip boots and don't want to have to wear rain pants. In terms of pants, there are two types; waist-height, or bibs. The waist-height pants have an elastic waistband and zippers in the lower leg area. This allows you to don or doff the pants by unzipping the legs and slipping them over your boots. These pants go great with the regular length jacket, but they are not high enough to use with the short jacket. The bibs go great with the short jacket, but they don't have leg zips, so they're harder to put on and take off over your boots.

The combinations I've used are as follows:

Short jacket with breathable chest waders.

Short jacket with bib pants.

Regular jacket with hip boots (no rain pants).

Regular jacket with waist rain pants / leg zips.

Parka-length jacket with hip boots (no rain pants)

Sorry about the links; I could not find one for the short jacket or the parka-length jacket. Maybe somebody else has a link? You can get all this stuff from Barney's Sport Chalet in Anchorage. They're very knowledgeable about this. Their site is down right now, but you can call them in Anchorage at (907) 561-5242. They're great folks; I've done a lot of business with them over the years.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Frogg Toggs

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If mostly for hunting frog togs are are very light and work great
    Will,

There have been some reviews of Frogg Toggs here on this site, and the general consensus was that they're fragile one-hunt throwaways. The concept seems good, but they're just not tough enough.

It might be wise to do a search on the site for that review; I've lost track of it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default HH

Imperitech is the best no questions asked.

Hellys.

Don't bother with anything else.

Just as a side note the HH Camo is thicker than the OD green. This per there web site. So the Camo could be a little tougher.

Another vote got the Impertech, i've got the pants and jacket but will need to buy some new pants as mine have a few holes in them.

My vote is the impertech I have had mine for 10 years still in good shape and I use it alot!!!

I JUST PURCHASED A SET OF RIVERS WEST RAIN GEAR, IVE USED ALOT OVER THE YEARS AND THIS IS THE BEST I HAVE SEEN YET. IT IS VERY COMFORTABLE AND WIND PROOF, YOU CAN BUY IT IN VARIOUS WEIGHTS FROM LIGHT TO HEAVEY DEPENDING ON THE TEMP RANGE YOU WILL BE IN.

http://www.riverswest.com/

Depends where you are hunting and in what season?

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Depends where you are hunting and in what season?
    I'll be hunting moose in Alaska during the last two weeks of September. My old rain gear could hack it, but they're darn heavy and I have to keep all my gear and food under 120 pounds.

Default Helly Hansen

Just ordered another set myself after seeing the 30% off above.

I own Marmot now but for pouring rain, dragging yourself though alders and cliffs, they suck. Alot of rubbing (alders) forces water right through. On the open tundra/mountain, they rock though.

I owned Rivers West for one hunt and I actually tracked down the salesman who sold them to me to pass a piece of my mind when I returned them. (I was 10 miles in and freezing to death because I was soaked) I can't think of a worse product for hunting in Alaska. Stay away! Unless maybe setting still hunting in November, but then get a set of Grundens.......

Cabelas MT050 lightweight set worked for a few years.

Impertec blows the rest away. No comparison.

Default Impertech

I always have the Helly Hansen Impertech and bibs with me. I also have a 3/4 length version I treasure and they need to make it again. I also have gortex. I use it like a wind breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I always have the Helly Hansen Impertech and bibs with me. I also have a 3/4 length version I treasure and they need to make it again. I also have gortex. I use it like a wind breaker.

The 3/4 length is coming this fall. They said they should be in about August or September. Just in time for hunting season!

HH is great stuff, but not the best for hiking in. Also not the most durable. Great for sitting still or minimal movement.

Barney's website should be up very soon. I would expect it up in the next week. 2 weeks tops.

Brett

GRUNDENS!!! Light weight, very comfortable, and they are fairly quite. Don't waste your time with anything else.

I wear Helly Hanson bibs and the Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket.

Cheap combo really and I am always dry.

For $39.00 you cannot beat the Red Ledge Thunderlight. It used to be my backup but now I just use it. I love it for some reason. From the Yukon to Kodiak it works for me.

I do have the Helly top as well but it's too heavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast