Thread: Trip to Hidden Lake

Default Trip to Hidden Lake

Skilak Lake Rd. was nice and dry with a few rough spots here and there. We canoed the lake during the week days to kind of escape the crowds. The Tohatsu motor worked great and the scenery was excellent. We saw two bald eagles, at least 2 dozen ducks, and one cow moose. The first day of the trip the lake was very windy with waves a little too large to be considered safe. My wife felt uneasy so we headed back to the campsite. I ventured back to a few of my "lake trout holes" by myself and took on quite a bit of water. The second day of the trip was a much better one with very little wind and the lake looked like a mirror in the early morning. There was an old fella out near birch island with a brand new 30 horse honda and a 16 ft. boat that was broke down. He was trying to get back with oars! I hooked up to him with his bow rope up to my transom and hauled him back to the boat launch, we were doing 8.5 mph. according to the gps. The Tohatsu was a strong little motor and very quiet!
    Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01-08-2010 at 17:04.

Default more pics of Hidden Lake

Made a small wake pulling the guy back to the boat launch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hidden Lake is a remarkably productive lake trout water. LT are slow growing but Hidden Lake trout obviously flourish on the abundant young sockeye. Not many lake trout waters can handle the amount of harvest that Hidden Lake has.

I have also seen a very nice char come out of Hidden.

Looks like you had a great time! We were out on Skilak the other day
    I am sure the guy you helped out was grateful to not have to row any further!

Mainer_in_AK What kind of Old Towne do you have? I am looking for a square stern Canoe and the ones in your pictures look perfect.

that is a very large lake.....one doesnt realize that till your out there! mainer did ya get a laker or 2? I really am looking forward to goin back there maybe this weekend. i have a 14' blue fin boat with a 25hrs, handles that lake awesome. drifter gave me a great piece of advice that i wanna try there. also that lake is amazing in the way of dropoffs from shallow water to deep dark abyss! GOT TO KEEP EXTRA BATTERIES ON HAND FOR DEPTH FINDER! well mainer hope to see ya down there sometime, never know when ill need a guy with a canoe to haul my boat back to shore!

LItoAK,

They are Old Town 17.5ft. Discovery Sports. They have about a 44in. beam and do pretty much everything I need them to do. You won't be able to find them around very often as Old Town stopped making them a few yrs. back. Your best bet would be to get with the moderator of this forum as he will be selling Scott canoes, they are a more readily avail. freighter.

Hunt&FishAK,
    I didn't have much luck, by the time I got my "new buddy" back to his truck.....I missed that early morning window. I did allthough catch a kokanee which I realeased. Some of the Big "ol wise uns" came crashing to the surface in the late evening like small whales. I think they were chasing baitfish right to the surface right up out of the water! "Don't fish like a tourist" (Quoted saying of a forum member).......fish the low light hours. The lakers seem to be chasing em right out of the water so make sure to stop when you see the big uns surface drop anchor and quietly throw plugs, spoons and the like if trolling seems slow. Throw a 5 gallon bucket out to slow you down too, they seem to like the slowest trolling speeds possible. Good Luck!

thanks for the advice mainer, sounds like a job for my minn kota troller.....wanted to ask do you know about the island camping there? is it ok to camp on any of them or is that a no-no? i figure to try and elude the camp fees to save a few bucks