Thread: summer caribou coat

Default summer caribou coat

Is the coat on a caribou in the summer any good to make a coat out of. I shot one the last day of August and it seemed like it was thick enough. I am leaving Alaska this year (against my will) and want to make a coat out of the hides of the caribou I have shot. This years trip will be in July. Do you think the hide is thick enough that time of year to keep you warm?
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

The problem with caribou hair is that it is very brittle and breaks easily. If you wore the coat much, I think it would probably show signs of wear quickly and wouldn't look nice after a while. Maybe you could have someone turn one of the hides into some sort of artwork for you? Maybe a wall hanging in the shape of Alaska with an antler on each side? Just thinking out loud here...

I hunt Caribou in August exactly for such materials.
    Caribou hairs are short and soft in August, and make a good, very warm durable jacket.
    It takes 3 good skins to make a parkee, but I'm sure you can get a vest with one.
    August caught Caribou skins will last as clothing , with contenious use for about two years, provided you care for it. My wife makes cloth covers for hers and they last longer. Fawn Caribou can be made into light durable fur clothing that will last 5 years with contenious use, with proper care.

We make one to have the hair against the skin and one with hair out. If you have skinned it well, and sewn your holes, tan it and sew!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Here are a few July caribou on the north slope. Usually hides are junk until early to mid August. The winter hair falls out very easy, and the summer hide is pretty thin.

Thanks for the info, stranger. Good to know.