Thread: A little birdie told me...

Default A little birdie told me...

A little birdie told me that the deshka will be closed for kings after this weekend. I hope everyone has a good weekend.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up

Shoulda never been opened this year, but further comment will force the mods to moving the thead to the Politics segment.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

should have been closed earlier last year too. Makes you wonder where they all went... I am betting they are in somethings belly, pike or people...

I heard the same thing. Makes you wonder if fg knows what they are doing.

As of June 4th this year 238 kings have gone through the weir..

On June 4th 2007 224 kings went through the weir and the final count was 18'714 the minimum escapement was met by almost 6000 fish..

On June 4th 2006 142 kings
    went through the weir,, final count 31'150 , exceeding the minimum escapement by 18'150 fish.

Fewer kings went through in 06 & 07 on June 4th than 09 but still met escapement goals..

The way its adding up to me
    there should be at least 20'000 fish coming back this year..

F&g has said they won't be making any decisions until june 10/12 and there is nothing posted about this under E.O. on the F&G web site...did that little birdie give you any more info other than it will close???

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    As of June 4th this year 238 kings have gone through the weir..

On June 4th 2007 224 kings went through the weir and the final count was 18'714 the minimum escapement was met by almost 6000 fish..

On June 4th 2006 142 kings
    went through the weir,, final count 31'150 , exceeding the minimum escapement by 18'150 fish.

Fewer kings went through in 06 & 07 on June 4th than 09 but still met escapement goals..

The way its adding up to me
    there should be at least 20'000 fish coming back this year..

F&g has said they won't be making any decisions until june 10/12 and there is nothing posted about this under E.O. on the F&G web site...did that little birdie give you any more info other than it will close???
    Where did you come up with those numbers???

Last year, the total was 7533 with 142 by June 4th. I don't feel like researching the other years, but you might want to before you rant some more.

Got the numbers here--http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

I didn't post anything about 2008,, my point is there were some years that there were less fish on this date and still had good numbers if not great..

There were only two years in the last 14 that minimum escapment goals weren't met,, 1998 & 2008..

Wasn't there a flood in 04?? Sounded like a real gully whomper..
    Couldn't that have something to do with low numbers in 08??

The Deshka has held its own pretty good about 11 out of the last 14 years with some very good numbers of returning fish.. I just don't think one bad year spells doom for the next several after.. Look at 1996 14'349 fish through the weir,, 1997 35'587,, That's a big difference..

I ain't calling garnede out or nothing but I just can't go on what a little birdie say's,, If you got something solid let's here it,, Some folks might be planning on heading up to the Deshka and spending a week or so and read this,, Then change plans just to find out the little birdie was just chirping in the wind.. Hows that gonna look for The Alaska Supersite??

As for me i will board a plane in Hailey Idaho sunday morning spend that nite in Willow Alaska,, And be flinging a Tiger stripe # 6 Vibrex in the Deshka river 6 am Monday morning,,,,, UNLESS OF COURSE IT'S CLOASED.. Then who knows I think there's a few more rivers in Alaska to check out..

See? I should have read better...

My apologies. I got the date confused and thought you were talking about last year, and I could not figure out how you came to that number...lol

Good luck fishing! Hope it turns on for everyone's sake.

Thanks coho,, Just gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, more for the fish than me..
    And good luck to you .

Talking

Hows that gonna look for The Alaska Supersite??

As for me i will board a plane in Hailey Idaho sunday morning spend that nite in Willow Alaska,, And be flinging a Tiger stripe # 6 Vibrex in the Deshka river 6 am Monday morning,,,,, UNLESS OF COURSE IT'S CLOASED.. Then who knows I think there's a few more rivers in Alaska to check out..
    Slimm,
    On the bright side, several of the Guides have been doing really well on the Hooligan. They have been bringing in coolers full of them. Early morning and late evening seems to be the optimum times.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Got the numbers here--http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

I didn't post anything about 2008,, my point is there were some years that there were less fish on this date and still had good numbers if not great..

There were only two years in the last 14 that minimum escapment goals weren't met,, 1998 & 2008..

Wasn't there a flood in 04?? Sounded like a real gully whomper..
    Couldn't that have something to do with low numbers in 08??

The Deshka has held its own pretty good about 11 out of the last 14 years with some very good numbers of returning fish.. I just don't think one bad year spells doom for the next several after.. Look at 1996 14'349 fish through the weir,, 1997 35'587,, That's a big difference..

I ain't calling garnede out or nothing but I just can't go on what a little birdie say's,, If you got something solid let's here it,, Some folks might be planning on heading up to the Deshka and spending a week or so and read this,, Then change plans just to find out the little birdie was just chirping in the wind.. Hows that gonna look for The Alaska Supersite??

I am not worried and I encourage members to freely discuss any thing on their mind within the forum rules and preferably in the appropriate forum (saves me the work of moving them ). Besides if we stopped listening to little birdies we wouldn't have the annual "cabelas is comming" thread, or the "drawing results are going to be out on xx day" thread amongst about 50 other topics we cover every winter .

I am confident that the AODD's place as THE Alaska Supersite is not going to be in jeopardy due to an ocasional smattering of hearsay.

Yep, I heard the same song out of that birdie - the decision is to be made within the next day or two should this birdie sing true. There sure weren't many boats out there this weekend.....some folks I know have done ok out there this year so far, and others have been completely skunked.

Default For what it's worth

A buddy of mine was out on the Deshka Memorial Day weekend (I think - or the weekend before) and caught a 48 pound King in the first 10 minutes.....They are there....just not in OMG quantities...

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...nr.cfm?id=1090

The Deshka River king salmon sport fishery will close at 6:00 a.m., Saturday, June 13, through the remainder of the king salmon sport fishing season.
    The area affected by this closure includes the Deshka River is from its mouth upstream to an ADF&G marker near Chijuk Creek, and all waters of the Susitna River within a one-half mile radius of the Deshka River confluence.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Well the bird sang its guts out a few hours ago. It's closed again starting Saturday the 13th for the remainder of the season. In 35 years this is the third time I've seen it closed.

Default No pain... no gain

All is NOT lost.

I remember when the Deshka was closed for 4-5 years in a row... nearly a full chinook life-cycle. She bounced back to reward us with some of the most prolific returns in history. Just proof that the system can be quite resilient if we just give it half a chance.

Doing the responsible thing often means short term pain, but the long-term gain is more than worth it.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I hear pike fishing is Quite Good! The commercial guys can't put a dent in them. Is there a market for pike slime?

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    I hear pike fishing is Quite Good! The commercial guys can't put a dent in them. Is there a market for pike slime?
    I just put an order in for two bottles of Pike shampoo! The pike fishery will rival that 1990's Emu market craze in no time!