Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inboard Jetters "Spin a Boat"

Default Inboard Jetters "Spin a Boat"

I ran into a situation the other weekend were "spinning" my boat would have really helped out. I have tried it in the past couple of years but canít make it happen. Is it possible with an American Turbine 309? I have gone into a sharp turn and gave it all the throttle she had. It pushed the boat deep into the turn and then sucks air. Iíve chopped the gas cranked the steering wheel all the way to lock and opened it up. Still no joy. I havenít tried putting it in reveres since the reverse bucket on a 309 is a piece of @#$% to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I am sure you feel your boat slide through sharp turns at times? Ever had to back off the throttle because you start to slide wide on the turn ?

I don't go into a turn then crank the throttle to get it to spin out or achieve an exaggerated slide, I go into the maneuver a little hot, carry speed in a straight line then suddenly crank the wheel then, apply the throttle if needed.

I do spins and slides for grins and I also do them for necessity at times, for instance, when traveling a narrow skinny river going downstream I will spin the boat to get it pointed back upstream or vice-versa. I have also had to spin out in order to avoid an obstacle or shoal when that was all I had time for.

Get on a lake and take a little time practicing, your boat will spin out.

Oh, stay off the reverse when attempting this or someone will be swimming at the very least.

tjm seems to have it down purty good on his inboard. What seems to work for me in my O/B jet is to nudge it in the opposite direction of how I want to turn, then chop the throttle crank the wheel to lock and then drop the hammer.

Say I want to spin left, I will turn slightly right first. I think that as the hull lays over that way it displaces the water, then when I let off the thrust I can spin the wheel full left without actually causing the boat to change course. By the time I am at lock I crank the throttle down and the hull starts transition from a right bank to a left causing the water to rush back into the void as the right side of the hull is elevated forming a sort of ramp. Under max power I am able to slide the boat up that ramp as the hull tries to drive over the crest of the "ramp" it forms a pivot point and around she goes. Depending on your hull shape and steering ratio you may be able to this without cutting power at all, my outboard turns so slow though that it is a must. I have managed to bring it around so violently playing in a lake I thought for a moment that we were going to be testing that 15 year old Wooldridge floatation.

what boat do you have?...

the shallower the water and the faster your speed, the easier it comes around...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Get on a lake and practice. 2 times in 2 years I have needed to spin out to avoid huge problems. My boat runs on rails and is tough to spin. I practiced a lot and can do it when necessary. It is kind of spooky when you spin so hard the nose goes under a foot!

Talking

Jim you are just not trying hard enough. I managed to spin mine around twice last summer when getting in places I shouldn't have been. Granted both times was a tad too late and I still stuck her but the second time I only got stuck by a hair which was a lot easier to get out of then the first try at it. Think I need to realize a bit sooner when the water is getting too skinny for my sled.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    what boat do you have?...
    nevermind...I just noticed your sig line...lol....yep, your boat should come around...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    tjm seems to have it down purty good on his inboard. What seems to work for me in my O/B jet is to nudge it in the opposite direction of how I want to turn, then chop the throttle crank the wheel to lock and then drop the hammer.

Say I want to spin left, I will turn slightly right first. I think that as the hull lays over that way it displaces the water, then when I let off the thrust I can spin the wheel full left without actually causing the boat to change course. By the time I am at lock I crank the throttle down and the hull starts transition from a right bank to a left causing the water to rush back into the void as the right side of the hull is elevated forming a sort of ramp. Under max power I am able to slide the boat up that ramp as the hull tries to drive over the crest of the "ramp" it forms a pivot point and around she goes. Depending on your hull shape and steering ratio you may be able to this without cutting power at all, my outboard turns so slow though that it is a must. I have managed to bring it around so violently playing in a lake I thought for a moment that we were going to be testing that 15 year old Wooldridge floatation.
    Lujons got it! a quick little turn in the opposite direction creates an air pocket under the hull, then pop it over. It should come right around. You should only pull 3-4 g's during this maneuver. LOL.

My northriver is a 1/4 turn wheel, and it comes around fast. I have to pull back on the throttle to keep from red lining the engine after the rear end breaks loose.

Quick left, hard right, punch it, pull the throttle, spin it, then punch it out and your heading the other way!!

Get out on the lake and practice. Have fun, but be safe!

Sounds like I need more practice
    I didnt know about the quick right manuever to spin left or visa-versa.
    I finally got the handling sorted out in boat so it easier to control and it will spin around fairly quick, however I always end up coming off step and will cavitate some.
    I suspect even with the lf/rt manuever it will still come off step?

Thanks for all the great posts!!! Keep'em coming!! I will have try the left-right and see if that brings it around. I have been in boats that have spun around so i know what to expect. Hopefully I dont go for a swim The boat does slide some but not as much as other I have been in. It will slide enough to set up for the next turn and then add a touch of power to set it where I want it.

I took the wong braid a couple of weeks ago and the the water started to thin out. I noticed it, and got around with out grounding out but is was not pretty. A spin would have been sweet.
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Learn something every day! I have a Predator (SeaArk) with the 200 Opti...what is the risk of nose diving or otherwise filling the boat with water (primarily while practicing on a lake...not in skinny water).
    Thanks for the tips folks.

Spinning boats is a great excuse to repost this old tjm vid.

Thanks for the video. Hey Rob I guess you will have to teach me a thing or two. LOL Stay Safe!!
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Talking

Jim I am not sure if I could teach you a thing about jetboating as most of the stuff I learn is through my mistakes and me making on the spot decisions that sometimes workout. One of these days I will download the wife, kids, dog, and guns then make some practice runs in a lake till then I will just keep enjoying the ride and telling people to hold on prior to me doing any aggressive driving. For some reason my wife gets this worried look on her face whenever I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    Learn something every day! I have a Predator (SeaArk) with the 200 Opti...what is the risk of nose diving or otherwise filling the boat with water (primarily while practicing on a lake...not in skinny water).
    Thanks for the tips folks.
    I'd like to know too. I've got a 20' Predator and play around quite a bit with it, but I've never tried a quick speed spin. I've done plenty of donuts with it and had the nose dip into the water a couple times, but nothing too hairy.

What speed are you guys running at when you whip it around?

Default spin

turn hard to desired side, when boat gets fairly deep into turn, throw the boat into reverse and it will spin around. Just be sure to kill the throttle as soon as it spins and prepare to engage forward. Been awhile since I even looked at a 309. Does it have separate throttle and bucket controls?

Default spin

normally when travelling forward at speed, you will be unable to drop the reverse bucket due to the additional hydraulic forces acting upon it. Usually you have to kill the throttle first. However, once you are deep into a turn, it can be done easily, even with the engine/pump at normal operating RPM. Just don't forget to immediately bring the RPM to or near idle and engage forward so that you are not at high RPM in REVERSE as soon as you spin. Hopefully that makes sense.

Default Wish I remembered.

It has been a while for me and I can't wait to get back and practice. I think it will be somewhat the same experience as riding a bike "I hope". From what I remember of it though I started with the turn in oposite direction to. I forget though and im sure once I get back it will all come back to me.

Default Clear up...

Oh yeah if forgot to mention I run with an outboard though. Not sure of the diffrence between the setups with this menouver.

I've got a 16' flat bottom with a 45hp outboard jet (remote steer)...spins just fine! as said above just turn one way then get on the gas then hard over the other way until its around

when the bow drops back off to idle to keep from cavitating

if you've got a tiller outboard keep in mind that you can go from hard left to hard right very fast - maybe too fast!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast