Thread: Cruise Ship fishing Juneau and Skagway

Default Cruise Ship fishing Juneau and Skagway

I have a friend who is coming up the inside passage. He owns large fishing tackle company and is looking to fish with quality guides in Juneau and Skagway. Can anyone reccomend a couple of pros to take him out.

Thanks in advance

Can Can is supposedly great in Juneau. He is on this website.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 06-05-2009 at 09:35. Reason: language

IIRC, Case is not charter fishing this year.

Forget about fishing in Skagway.

How much time does he have in Juneau and what dates is he coming? Terminal area (Hatchery) kings will be in thick for the next month, or so. I saw 4 caught at DIPAC in about 2 hours yesterday.

There's plenty of boats running out of Auke Bay. Book thru Juneau Sportsfishing. Pretty hard to get a specific captain, but it can be done. I'd go with Cpn. Ole Bartness or Mike Bethers.

If he's into fly fishing, he might be able to charter a plane and stream fish for a few hours.

Default I Strongly Suggest

Trying to get Mike Bethers to take your friend out while here in Juneau. IMHO Mike has been pretty effective even during the slow King fishing so far this season and would show him both a good time and do his best to get him onto a King or two.

He is coming up in August. I have met Mike Bethers before. What is the name of his charter service?

Thanks in advance

Used to be Silver King, I believe.Don't know if he's been brokerized

Default Try Skagway

I was in Skagway in June 11, 2008 as part of a 7 night cruise. It sounds like your friend is under the same time constraints as we were. I would not automatically rule out Skagway. For the money, I thought it was an excellent experience.
    In the morning, we toured Skagway and from 1-5 PM went on a sightseeing/fishing charter with Capt. Mike of Choctaw Charters. We hooked three King Salmon at the same time and had the thrill of a lifetime. The fish were "ivory" and approximately 25 lbs although I saw a 35 lb King caught by another charter. The fishing grounds are a short ride from the harbour which I found quite convenient and the scenery is gorgeous!
    His web site is:
    http://fishing.eskagway.com/
    We didn't use this charter but ended up talking extensively with him and he is also great
    http://www.fatsalmoncharters.com/start.htm
    Here is the video of our fishing experience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhZiKTM_IbA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5W3l...eature=related

If you find a fast boat in Skagway, the fishing can be great with an hour's run south... the closer you get to Juneau the better the August fishing will be. Just watch out for the gillnetters and seiners in Lynn Canal!

The Can Can is officially out of State and being refitted for the tuna fishery off Oregon - I'm also contemplating some billfishing in Mexico this winter...

"Hardcore" in Juneau used to mean either Me or Toni with the Hi-Time. Might give her a call. Mike Bethers is great, as is Ole Bartness with Islander Charters (not to be confused with the "undesirables" at Alaska Trophy Fishing who run a boat called the "Islander"...)

Personally, I would avoid Juneau Sportfishing (or any broker, for that matter) at all costs.

-Case

Oh, PM me with specific dates... I do have access to a great little boat in town - perfect for me+1 or 2. While the Can Can won't be here, I have some dates in August I'll be in town when I bring my daughter back for school at the end of summer... I'd be happy to set up a fuel-shared outing if the dates line up.
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Juneau Fishing

Ah, just the thread I am looking for!

I will be in Juneau on Wednesday, July 15th from 2pm-10pm. I will have a car.

My husband I are both experienced fishermen (and woman). We have chartered in Seward and Ketchikan on previous trips, but want to go on the cheap this time. We are looking to 1) fish from the shore for salmon or 2) hook up with a local who has a boat to score some halibut. Payment of fuel is a given. So, based that, I'm looking for......
    -recommendations where we can shore fish. Tackle recommendations?
    -if you know any locals who have a boat and would like a day on the water
    -and if we are lucky enough, where can we take the fish for processing, packing and shipping?

Already received good information from a fellow forum user re: renting a small boat from Knuden's marina in Ketchikan. Much appreciated.

Trolling for salmon is not our idea of fishing, as we catch salmon from the shore in Lake Michigan every fall. We want "hands on".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HereFishyFishy View Post
    We want "hands on".
    Catching salmon with your bare hands is quite challenging. Mouth-only is for experts.

Given the dates, it'll be chum and humpy heaven. Are you fly fishers?

I wouldn't bother keeping either species, but I'm spoiled (= know what I like and don't like.)

Jerry's and Horst's can process and ship.

You can rent poles at DIPAC (hatchery) and there is a designated no-snag zone for purists. Fish Creek and Sheep Creeks would be other decent estuary locaitions.

What a great way to circumvent the 1-fish halibut rule! All we need are plenty of boat owners looking for a day on the water free of fuel costs, and everyone can keep 2 fish instead of just one since there's no charter involved! Brilliant!

For salmon from shore mid-july, try DIPAC or Sheep Creek. If you do get a boat, there's usually a good afternoon bite on the back side of Douglas that time of year... be sure to know your stuff and mooch a plug or huna-cut herring if you're not into the trolling scene.

Have fun!
    -Case

Quote Originally Posted by HereFishyFishy View Post
    Ah, just the thread I am looking for!

I will be in Juneau on Wednesday, July 15th from 2pm-10pm. I will have a car.

My husband I are both experienced fishermen (and woman). We have chartered in Seward and Ketchikan on previous trips, but want to go on the cheap this time. We are looking to 1) fish from the shore for salmon or 2) hook up with a local who has a boat to score some halibut. Payment of fuel is a given. So, based that, I'm looking for......
    -recommendations where we can shore fish. Tackle recommendations?
    -if you know any locals who have a boat and would like a day on the water
    -and if we are lucky enough, where can we take the fish for processing, packing and shipping?

Already received good information from a fellow forum user re: renting a small boat from Knuden's marina in Ketchikan. Much appreciated.

Trolling for salmon is not our idea of fishing, as we catch salmon from the shore in Lake Michigan every fall. We want "hands on".

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post

Personally, I would avoid Juneau Sportfishing (or any broker, for that matter) at all costs.

-Case
    Any particular reason Case?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Any particular reason Case?
    Yep. Several, in fact.
    Juneau brokers (several of them) don't pay in a timely manner. Bad for the skipper, and even worse for the guest who doesn't understand the way the whole system works.

Juneau Sportfishing actually mandates that 4 lines are trolled from downriggers, and clients on board rotate catching fish when they're hooked up. You (the guest) don't have any control over how your fish is handled or who processes it, and I would ALWAYS rather find a good captain who knew what (s)he was doing and book direct.

A broker will tell/give a potential client anything to make the buck. Just the downside of not knowing what boat/crew you'll get until you board is reason enough for me to steer clear of the brokerages.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]