Thread: two man cat

Question two man cat

I am thinking about getting a two man cataraft, and am looking for some input. I thought I wanted a drift boat, but I usually fish with just one person at a time, either my wife, or one buddy from work. I think the two man cat would better suit my needs, and save a lot of money. I have been reading about a couple different boats, the Mckenzie Drifter by Dave Scadden, and the Fishcat 13 by Outcast. I am looking for input from people that own either one of these boats, or something similar that won't break the bank. I am looking to keep the total bill under $3000. Going in and talking to Tracey at Alaska Raft and Kayak is on my things to do list, but those dang fish keep calling my name. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

If you definately won't be floating more than 2 people they are great little boats. I have an Aire Wildcat (12') and love it. The only problem is my family has grown and now whenever I float it's always with 4 people so my little boat hasn't been used in 4 or 5 years. It's for sale by the way.

Default Aire Wildcat

Lets here some details on your raft for sale.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default Fish Cat 13

Can not comment on Dave's boats however I can talk about the 13ft Fish Cat. Reasonable Value with many options for use. +'s total boat and frame 170 lbs, frame brakes down into many pieces so transportation for various reason is easy. Rated to 750 lbs but you can over load on calm water we have put as high as 900 lbs no issues, will handle just about anything you toss at it however I would not run heavy high volume water i.e. Class IV -V with the frame set up. BMR uses commercially now and again on the Gulkana to include running the Canyon, years of use never and issue with the exception of the seat mount which is correctable. Retail out the door with pump should be depending on sales, shipping and or appliacble discounts i.e. purchasing a fleet should is way under your target goal of less than 3K. ( My son loves his) Fishing two people great boat. You can modify the frame and Moose Hunt certain rivers. I have an friend that uses his all the time for that purpose, AR&K will back the product so Warranty and related work is local.

Bottom Line we have used them for the past 4 years never have had to repair one and ours are on the water 50 plus days per year to inlcude rentals.

-'s Not suitable IMO for heavy water so you are limited to a standard fishing cat verses a real multi use cat however the cost out ways the negative for your intended purpose.

Application - what is your main intended purpose
    Cost - Does the Cost and Value of the boat fit your guide lines
    Warranty - What will it take to fix your boat if needed, how long, and at what cost.

By your post the Fish Cat 13 seems to meet the three questions we always tell our customers they should ask when purchasing an inflatable.

Application - Fishing the Valley, K Pen, Gulkana plus lakes
    Cost - Under 3K by about 800 - 1K
    Warranty - Industry Leading with Local Dealer

Hope the information helps sorry I am somewhat Bias concerning the product line :-)

Tight Lines, Keep your stick on the Ice, and oars in the water.

Blue Moose

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    Lets here some details on your raft for sale.

Jake
    Here it is. '97 Aire 12' Wildcat. Pontoons are almost like new with the only blemishes being black marks from where the frame sits on the pontoons. It has been a great little boat. I used to do Six Mile a lot and have floated the canyon of the Talkeetna once. A buddy and I also used it on a 40 mile 10 day fly-out float fishing trip in the Brooks Range and it worked out great, so it will handle a little weight. I'm asking $1500 for everything you see in the pics plus a pump, and Aire repair kit/box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice

Great Set up! :-)

That little Wildcat is also a screaming white water boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    That little Wildcat is also a screaming white water boat.
    I originally got it for whitewater and for a single person it is a blast down at Six Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Here it is. '97 Aire 12' Wildcat. Pontoons are almost like new with the only blemishes being black marks from where the frame sits on the pontoons. It has been a great little boat. I used to do Six Mile a lot and have floated the canyon of the Talkeetna once. A buddy and I also used it on a 40 mile 10 day fly-out float fishing trip in the Brooks Range and it worked out great, so it will handle a little weight. I'm asking $1500 for everything you see in the pics plus a pump, and Aire repair kit/box.

I am very intereseted in your raft, I pm'd you
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Swap and sell

If you definately won't be floating more than 2 people they are great little boats. I have an Aire Wildcat (12') and love it. The only problem is my family has grown and now whenever I float it's always with 4 people so my little boat hasn't been used in 4 or 5 years. It's for sale by the way.
    Trout,

This should really be over in the Swap and Sell...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Trout,

This should really be over in the Swap and Sell...

-Mike
    Ya, sorry. I wasn't trying to hijack this thread but it kind of went that way.
    Sorry again, carry on.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a two man cataraft, and am looking for some input. I thought I wanted a drift boat, but I usually fish with just one person at a time, either my wife, or one buddy from work. I think the two man cat would better suit my needs, and save a lot of money. I have been reading about a couple different boats, the Mckenzie Drifter by Dave Scadden, and the Fishcat 13 by Outcast. I am looking for input from people that own either one of these boats, or something similar that won't break the bank. I am looking to keep the total bill under $3000. Going in and talking to Tracey at Alaska Raft and Kayak is on my things to do list, but those dang fish keep calling my name. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jake
    Just back from instructing whitewater rafters on the Nenana River Canyon in Denali National Park and saw your posting...

The Scadden and FishCat boats are just shy of about as cheapo-Chinese as it gets, yet still in general comfortable and sorta satisfactory for some. They are for all intents and purposes a minor step beyond banana-shaped, stitched/sewn seamed duffel sacks with water-bed-material air bladders, and low-level inflation valves.

Am I being critical or making mockery? No... In fact they are a low-line, starter boat, for beginners getting a taste for the sport or a way for the industry to bridge the gap between a good quality boat and a piece of crap. These boats are archetypal weekend warrior boats with born on dating and carry a warranty toe tag. You will be okay with ’em to begin with, start having have repair issues (warranty/services whatever!!!) outgrow the boat in short order, and just as the almighty warranty expires the boats deteriorate to phases of unreliability.

The only exclusion in receiving most bangs for buck and a darn hard to beat economical boat is the one person from Fishcat that is the twin tubed, 4-chambered, Cougar model. Interesting tho'… the slightly longer Panther does not quite share this value.

On to superior boats for Alaska Rivers ---- good suitable Cats for up to two plus a little gear:

12-13 footers are not really the paramount choices for two good size persons, but they would work particularly if day floating. You were looking at AIRE and a price-point package deal so this puts you in a good set of 12' tubes by Outcast like PAC1200 made in USA including 2 oars with a not so transportable Chinese fishing frame for 2 people. Despite having only 1 chamber per tube this boat is a good choice if staying w/ cat design. New AIRE Wildcats are 13' w/ 2 chambers per tube, and one poster on here had a nice older 12' model for sale. SOTAR makes a top-end 13' fishing package called the Coho cat.

You'll find in short order that moving to the 14' cat is being 'price-wizer' and the identical components will all stay in the same $$$ ballpark. This boat will give much better utility, provide more room, higher flotation/draft hence enhanced performance in addition to upping error margin as far as some safety concerns may go.

I'd take a hard look at the 14' boats and you'll be all smiles well into the future.

$$$ aside... take a hard look at the SOTAR ST in 14’ --- this will be the quickest-handling/strongest-to-weight ratio you'll find anywhere! Another long time favorite is the AIRE Ocelot 14' --- not quite as agile and light as the SOTAR ST, but excellent boat for same purposes. Both boats are USA made!!! --- furnish exceptional construction --- 4 chambers w/ great valves --- & utilize continuous curve symmetrical geometry for best possible on-water performance.

Take a look at my website for good boat descriptions, and feel free to send an email or pm on better details of the boats I've mentioned.

Ya, sorry. I wasn't trying to hijack this thread but it kind of went that way.
    Sorry again, carry on.
    No worries at all- it fits with the thread. Just a heads-up is all.

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default thanks

Thank you all for the input. This boat will be used pretty much just for fishing the upper Kenai. I have a Fishcat Cougar now, but I am looking into the two man raft mostly to be able to take my wife fishing with me. She has a one man raft, but had a bad experience on the Willow, and said she has no desire to float on her own anymore. We started looking at drift boats, but just can't justify the cost for only me and her to fish out of it. I don't have any plans or desire to run any type of white water with it, only fishing. I know there are better quality, higher dollar boats out there, but it just is not in our budget to get a top of the line boat any time soon. We have 4 years left in Alaska, and don't know where we are going next, so I would hate to spend a lot of money on an expensive boat, just to find out in 4 years that we are going somewhere that a boat would be useless. Thanks again for the input, and please keep it coming.

Jake

Default Not Trying to High Jack Honest

Brian nice job on the new web site!

Thumbs up

Good info to include in your post about usage, budget, # of years life expectancy, and the part about your wife really not wanting to go it alone much from here on out in a 1 person.

I'd think along the lines of renting or demo-ing out 12'-14' cats... knowing that in the next 3-4 seasons you'll get at least 15 or more weekend floats in (based on your budget) without storage, warranty, or resale thoughts --- plus some days you'll want a 12' and some days it'll be great to have the 14'. Even if you decide to purchase --- trying before buying is a really valuable service.

--- Thanks Moose with regards to site --- we have also launched whitewater instruction programs at Alaska Raft Connection...

A. Chalk-talk style coaching and dry-land training. (we do even make house calls)

B. Try before you buy demo rentals with practical on water coaching (includes basic skills, safety/rescue, repairs, to advanced on water) people with personal boats/equipment can get better acquainted and have more understanding of the products they already own or still need.)

C. Single overnight scenarios of (B.)

Our new boats are supper nice w/ custom touches never seen on boats of this variety. All top end expedition boats and components are Made in USA!!!

This past week we were up in Denali National Park on the Nenana River canyon... sunny and 70 degrees!!!

Default Been a good boat

I am going on my 4th season on a outcast fishcat 13' from SW. It has been a good little boat for my wife, son and I to float and fish. We have day floated with it many, many times. I removed the front seat and mounted two front seats. My son is learning to row on it this summer! I would buy it again, no regrets.

Default Aire Wildcat +++++

I have a 2004 Aire Wildcat (13') and it is awesome! I have the "willow" frame from AR&K and it fishes two perfectly. I've removed one of the fishing seats and slid the other to the middle and it makes a great platform for two guys and a long weekend trip. It hauls a decent amout, but I run out of floor space before I run out of capacity. 10 year warranty on the tubes and a local repair shop make it worry free.

Like one of the other posters mentioned though, I am ready to consider upgrading to fit the family. Probably to a drift boat as I don't fly out much.

Good luck!
    ...been on a search to top my 30x18 rainbow for 13 years now...I guess it's game time!!!
    13' Aire WildCat, 9' 7wt SAGE RPLXI, 10' 5wt SAGE XP, .300 RUM Zeiss 3x9 when all else fails

Default Great Rafts

This is what I set myself up with. Easy to handle on the river, easy to load in my truck alone. Got the 5hp Honda to do the Kenai and others. Get one you'll have a blast.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 09-23-2009 at 17:09.