Thread: Beartooth bullets vs Cast performance?

Question Beartooth bullets vs Cast performance?

I have been doing some research on my next levergun and have also been looking around at some different cast bullets, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with beartooth bullets? Comparing them to Cast performance, they are about the same hardness (21 BHN), have a few more choices in bullet weights and styles (.44 and .45 caliber) and are quite a bit cheaper to buy and for shipping. I have used a few cast performance bullets and like them, but if I can get the same or a better produce for less $ why not, right? I think Snyd has sold me on the puma 92 in .454 in case you were wondering- there is a really good thread in the shooting forum. Thank you for your time!

For my .454 I've been loading the CP 360grn WLNGC. It is an impressively penetrating combination, so I've been happy and haven't really shopped around for anything else...really, it's amazing penetration...I can drive one of those bullets through a live cottonwood that is so big it would require each of my arms to be at least a foot longer to wrap around the trunk.

However, your post got me curious about the comparability of Beartooth Bullets, so I looked them up. They have a 355grn WLNGC, which looks pretty comparable to the CP's that I've been shooting. Like you accurately said, the price for the BT's is much cheaper...$26.25/100 for the BT's Vs. 42.99/100 for the CP's (Cabela's price). I didn't check the BN numbers to see if the hardness is comparable, but you have and feel that they are.

Anyway, I'll order some for range practice and see how they shoot down the road. Thanks for the tip AKNewbie. I'll post my experience with them, although it will be a couple of months before I work my way to that project.

Doc

I have used both for some time now and find no difference in them in BHN, or field performance. I've used both the CP 360 and the BT 355 in my 454's. They differ slightly, not form the same mold, but they both shoot well and perform the same on game animals.

Marshall Stanton owns Beartooth Bullets. I don't know the owners of CP but they have changed hands recently and maybe that explains the price increase. They used to be closely priced with BT's. Marshall will custom make his bullets for you to some extent, BHN number, lube, size, etc.

Also don't forget the Alaska bullet makers. Dan at Bull Shop bullets in Delta will custom make bullets alloyed the way you like and sized correctly for your gun. He has many very good designs for the big bore revolvers.

For a hunting bullet or general trail use in a big bore revolver I like the WFN design for most applications. My light weight 45 Colts get the BT 280 WFNGC, the heavy 45's get something in the 350 to 370 grain weight.
    The 45 Colt isn't bad to lead a bore with reasonably good fit and alloy but the 454 velocities will need a hard bullet, correctly sized and a gas check isn't a bad idea.

We don't always want a BHN number of 21. Sometimes we shoot at a lower velocity/pressure than what would give a good gas seal in the bore. CP and BT both alloy their bullet metal to about BHN 16 then heat treat them to about BHN 28. When the metal ages or seasons over a few days or weeks, it settles down to about BHN 21. What this does for us is make a very hard solid bullet that doesn't crumble or shatter when hitting heavy bone. If it were alloyed to the BHN 21 number it would shatter at even lower velocity levels. Also a bullet with a high BHN would require a high pressure load to obturate (bump up) in the bore. This is why we want to very closely size the bullets to fit the bore. We can add versatility to the bullet by adding the gas check. This allows us to shoot the hard bullet at higher velocity but also at less pressure and still get a good gas seal between the bullet and the bore. This also helps for bullets slightly undersized to some extent.

I guess, once again, I go down a long road with the cast bullets diatribe. It seems I over flow with cast bulletism, my apologies for the digression.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    ...I guess, once again, I go down a long road with the cast bullets diatribe. It seems I over flow with cast bulletism, my apologies for the digression.
    Keep it coming Murphy! I'm a newbie caster and have been bit by the 45 bug with my new 4 inch Redhawk and Puma 454. I may forsee SA 454 in the future as well . Not sure what flavor though. FA if I can cough up the dough. I have also recently smelted a bunch of ww's and have about 450lbs of ingots all ready to go Now I'm waiting for my order of casting equipment to show up with my pot and a few Lee 6 cavity moulds for plinking rounds for 44, 45 and 38. I've been trying to learn all I can. I can hardly wait to drop my first boolits. Any suggestions on a mould that will drop bullets about like the CP WLNGC 360gr?

Default Time

I have used both CP and BTB and like both. The main difference to me besides the price is the time from order to delivery. BTB easily took 4 months to ship due to backorder as they are quite popular.
    If you have the time and patience for the BTB they are WELL worth the wait. Buy in larger quantities and pre-plan to allow for the wait. My order was for the 265gr .377 FNGC so that may be part of the delay.

Ed

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

e45Colt:

Me too.
    I've used both.
    BTBs are slow delivery, sometimes very slow delivery, but he makes good bullets.

I wasn't aware of the huge diff in prices, because I've gotten rifle bullets from BTB and handgun bullets from CP.

A long time ago, I did get some 250 gr. 44 bullets from BTB, and I loaded them for someone else.

I want to try some of Montana Bullet Works bullets. They make them for 338, I plan to call them, because there's so many types on their WebSite that I can't decide which I'd want. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. The prices seem very reasonable.

Murphy:
    I always appreciate good info on Cast bullets. You're not boring me.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I guess, once again, I go down a long road with the cast bullets diatribe. It seems I over flow with cast bulletism, my apologies for the digression.[/QUOTE]

None needed- I am wondering, being new to casting, I have seen guys water drop to harden bullets, but how exactly do you heat treat lead to harden it? Is it like tempering steel with oil or water? How hot? I'm trying to learn as much as I can while I am deployed, so I can get straight into it when I get home. I also have been toying with the idea of designing my own mold from mountain molds; I like the idea of it being EXACTLY what i want. Only after experimenting with other bullets first. So keep it coming Murphy!

I shoot Bear Tooth Bullets in 45/70, .454 Casull, and .45 Long Colt. I am very happy with them and always order enough to keep me in business for quite awhile. I especially like the 525 gr. PileDriver in the 45/70. Marshal is a good guy and will offer advice and loading data if you give him a call.

He also owns a very good forum where a lot of cast bullet shooters hang out. Check it out: http://shootersforum.com/
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.