Thread: Best Backpacking/ dehydrated food.

Default Best Backpacking/ dehydrated food.

I know that I am hijacking the Best of the Best thread but bygoodness it needs to be done now before we start looking for the cheapest, best tasting and best options for our backpacking hunts. Sales go in cycles and I start buying my hunting food about now for this fall. I met Boh21 doing the same thing so I figure that probably a good lot of you are doing the same thing. I have been looking at this wildernessdining.com site and I haven't had the opportunity to try any of that stuff. The guides on this board and military personnel as well might have better experience. I sure don't like MH Spaghetti.

There are several categories and this stuff could be moved to food but in reality it really needs to go here.

By gosh, its hot as hades here in Fairbanks anywho so I thought that I would start with four different categories. Before I march up the trail this evening.

1) Best Powerbars/ProBars etc.

2) Best dehydrated food- beyond MH Pasta Primavera

3) Best electrolyte mix- The genius who makes powdered beer gets my vote for the greatest mind in the 21st century.

4) Best Snack Desert food- Make it portable and good. It might be dehydrated but it doesn't have to be.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Logan bread instead of powerbars - look for the discussion on 24hourcampfire. Make some smart substitutions to draw out the digestion time - use brown rice syrup and agave nectar for sweetener. Keep some molasses for flavor. Mix in some raisins and nuts. I make mine with equal parts whole wheat flour, steel cut oats, and cracked red wheat, instead of straight whole wheat flour, which might be a bit mealy...

For meals, I'm an uber-cheapskate, so I make several pounds of lean hamburger or ground game into "gravel": brown it in a pan, spread it on a cookie sheet, and dry it at low heat in the oven. This keeps for up to a week in the mountains, so for a cheap/hot/salty/satisfying/lightweight dinner, I make one box of hamburger helper for two big guys, augmented with a handful of freezedried vegetables (made by "Just Veggies") and a big glop of olive oil from my 20-oz bottle. I figure this can't be worse than the freezedried stuff, it's got some fat to keep you warm at night, and I know where the meat came from... If you're cooking with a jetboil or you're really short on fuel, you'll have to do something else, I suppose, due to the lack of simmer ability. We made hot, simmer-intensive meals daily for 9 days last fall using a whisperlight and one 22-oz fuel bottle.

Later, I make lipton or knorr noodles and sauce and throw in a foil bag of tuna or pink salmon (and another big glop of olive oil).

Lunch is hard-smoked silver salmon tails, ry-krisp, cream cheese, logan bread, and dried fruit. Beverage is water. I figure that I get enough salt from the smoked fish and the dinners. I'll consider bringing enough gatorade for a daily shot next year - probably not a bad idea. I've never had cramping issues, though.

After last year smoked salmon is a must on all of my mountain hunting trips. I don't go sparingly on it either. Yeah it is a little heavy but I eat it early in the hunt and I am convinced that the high protein content and fatty acids and all that junk help me get over the initial hit of a major multi-day alpine hunt. Recovering quickly from the initial full day or two can make the difference between success and failure in a 5+ day hunt.

1. ?????

2. I will have to get the name of the book, but I have a great book for camp cooking recipes. There is a lot of using a dehydrator at home to prepare the foods. But you can dehydrate your own foods and have a much wider range of meals with a much better taste.

3. As far as electrolites go, if you are eating mountian house meals then you are getting more than enough. If you want a diffrent taste to your water then bring some single serving crystal light packets.

4. Smoked salmon bellies. MMMMMM
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

The Back-Country Kitchen: Camp Cooking for Canoeists, Hikers, and Anglers, is the book I was thinking of. Great resource when planning extended trips into the woods.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Some thoughts

1) I like those MLO Extreme Creatine Bars. They go on sale at Wally's and FM and are sometimes 1.50 per. They taste better than the other bars and have a ton of calories, protein and carbs in each bar. I try to take 1 per day that I am out.
    I also like the Metrx cookie Bars. You get these by the box at Sam's club or at Wally's again on sale.
    Finally, i get some of those Mojo Mountain Mix Cliff bars. I like the nuts that are involved.
    The Odawalla and Probars are always too expensive. I have thought about making my own probars as there are several recipes but I haven't got that brave.
    I have also thought about doing a Pimp that Snack energy bar and then wax seal that sucker for the trip. It would be like a big piece of salami that I could work on throughout the day.

2) I am also moving away from MH. I think that I am going to try packit gourmet this year. The Bangers and Mash has venison sausage and they also have kits to kick up raimen noddles with dehydrated vegetables. I am going to experiment with their stuff. Students and military get a discount. Greenies love this stuff even if it has real meat. Generally the greenies know technology as they spend fortunes to do the batcave summer yuppie special.

3) I have noted my predilection for salmon strips. I will take about 16oz. I also take peanut butter and honey mixture in a ziplock that I open with a little hole like a modified cake frosting decorator. Speaking of frosting, I take one small tube in case it gets freaking savage. This is because frosting is a handy short term source of calories if I fall through a crevice(unlikely I avoid them like the plague) or get mauled(probably by a ground squirrel) and start entering hypothermia. These are like energy energy gel capsules if stuff gets bad. It can happen. I sheep hunt September because of school. I use all of my personal days and labor day to have a short hunt that week. Sometimes it can storm and mess with you terribly.

4) Mixed nuts that are carmelized. You can get these nuts in Anchorage. They are hard to find in other places but I found a recipe and make about 20z for my whole trip. Mixed nuts fixed this way have a huge calorie count and can really help for the next day.

I also take electolytes but I avoid powdered powerade. It tastes great but several days of it can be murder. Sometimes I make labrador tea and mix in blueberries, bearbears and high bush currants.

Sincerely,
    Thomas