Thread: Hewescraft 22' Searunner hardtop

Default Hewescraft 22' Searunner hardtop

We took our jetboat to Whittier for the first time ever this summer and we may have swallowed something...I'm feeling a little sick...maybe it's just a fever... maybe it's the credit application. I dunno. Are two boats two many?

We're leaning towards the 150 over the 115 to push a family of 5, gear, a dog, and (maybe the mother in-law one way). Good motor choice or bad? I need a Rolaids.

Ocean Pro or standard searunner? The 115 is underpowered for the standard searunner from the ride I took. It would get stuck in the troughs of the waves. No power to get you out. I would say that the 150 would be the bare minimum. Great choice for a utilitarian boat, by the way. I ran a 24 searunner for about six seasons and had some great times.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The standard. I hope the 150 would get me into cover or back home before I got caught in a big trough. Decisions. Gonna have to sleep a few nights on it before committing. Thanks.

Default resale value will justify the 150

If you decide to sell the unit someday - the 150 horse will maintain the resale value a lot better, while still giving you the added benefit of the additional HP.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default More HP is better

You can almost never go wrong by going large in HP. You may not need it all very often, but many of the packages I see marketed seem to have absolute min power to keep prices down. In the long run, you will be very happy having the 150 or even a 200. I repowered my 26' (150s from 115s) after two seasons, and never looked back. Would have saved money if I had known, and done it from the git-go. Suck it up at the outset, especially if you are going to finance it.

Hands down I'd take the 150. Its what 2-3 thousand difference? Plus you will be running it harder meaning the longevity of the motor will be less. You'll regret it later. But if you want proof at Yamaha's own performance reports online and the have the 150 and 115 on both the SeaRunner and the Ocean Pro and you can see the difference.

Sobie2

I have the 22 SR HT ET with a 150 and it's enough power, I wish I would have got a 200 or 225 but thats just my need for speed. I've never heard anyone at the dock wishing they didn't have so much power.

Glad to hear all the positives on the 150, we Just closed on a 22' Sea Runner today with a 150, we get to pick it up at 10 o'clock tomorrow, it's 01:00 and I can't sleep.

your going to love it! I've had my 22 foot sea runner with a 150 for almost 3 years now with no complaints.

I'm with you EJ. Thinking about it when I close my eyes and again when I open'em in the morning.

We sold our liitle farm and moved up here a few years ago at a big loss for the opportunity call ouselves Alaskans. I reckon two boats in the yard will seal the deal. I thought we'd do it all with our NR Commander but it shrunk about the time we hit Passage Canal and slapped the water like a beaver tail on the way back in. Bigger water and we'd need dental work. My wife did make a heck of shot on a nice bear and that went a long ways towards new boat capital. If she pulls up one of those monster halibuts we may get big boat with "two" motors some day.

Glad to hear all the positive comments. We don't need anything super fancy, just a good sound boat that'll take us where we want to go and bring us back without skippin like a flat rock in a riffle. Thanks for the advice.

Don't hesitate to watch craigslist, too. There was a 26 Searunner with twins for less than a new 22 footer a couple of days ago. 8.5 beam vs 8' beam is a H U G E difference in both room and stability. The mother in law could even make a round trip.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled,
    Been there. I called about the 26' but was too late. My computer went down for two days the same day they listed it. There's a 05 24' on there since the first part of May but no response back to my e-mail or phone message. Guess they forgot they were selling their boat...? Worst thing to happen is we get stuck with a brand new yeller 22' with no scratches.

All I have to say is that a 22' boat is ok for 5 people and a dog for day trips, but it is much to small if you plan to ever sleep on it. Fine for 3 adults, but if you plan to to overnights with 5 plus fido, you'll want at least a 26' boat.

And two boats aren't too many, there is no such thing as too many boats, just too little time and $.

Alway buy max hp the boat is rated for.
    Saltwater is hard to swallow.

Default Hewescraft 220 Searunner...

EJ Painter,
    Congrats on your choice of boats!
    We have an '08 220 Searunner ht/ext transom w/ 150 & 9.9 ht Yamahas.
    We boat year round in BC, with plenty of offshore hours as well. After a hundred hours the package has been great for our use... and has exceeded expectations in some pretty nasty offshore conditions as well.

Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '08 Hewescraft 220 Searunner ht/et
    Yamahas: 150 & 9.9HT/Yamaha fuel-flow gauges
    Raymarine C-80 chartplotter/sounder/radar
    Icom vhf/Dickinson 9000 heater/Ace Brutus+40 pot puller/Zodiac tender

We made it out on Kenai Lake, it was great. We're looking foward to the rest of the summer. Trying to post picture

Ok I think I got the picture thing solved
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Congratulations EJ. Nice boat! It really makes you look years younger when behind the wheel.

Good one, Soon I'll get to fish and he'll be driving and baiting my hook.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi