Thread: CAmping with toddler and infant, location?

Default CAmping with toddler and infant, location?

I'm in Eagle River. The kids took their first camping trip on the second. It was a one nighter in the pop-up, a shakedown cruise if you will. I have a little work to do on the pop-up but it appears that it will work well for it's intended purpose.

I need to find a good spot to camp within an hour or so of Eagle River for a second shakedown trip. It would be nice if I could sneak away for a few minutes of fishing, preferrably grayling or something I can chase with a real fly on a light rod. Does anyone have any recommendations?

We want to head up to the Denali Highway later in the summer, to the Russian during the second red run, and to the beach for sure. We would like to get out 2-3 days per week for the bulk of the summer.

All suggestions are appreciated.

GOAL!!!

The Aces game is tied up!

Finally, does anyone have experience camping with toddlers that can recommend inside activities for down time?
    Thanks,
    Jamie
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

inside activities?.. the same ones you do at home... except in a smaller space...

there is this FUN games adults play... callllllllllllled SUFFER-AGE..

take the kids

head north

get camping done by July forth as that is when the rain starts...

Jamie...... just go camping. they will ALWAYS have more fun then you or mom....

you will realize you had fun with them camping about the same time.. they realize they don't know more then you.......( 26ish?)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

There's a lake on the left side of the road just before you hit Palmer, can't remember it's name but I'm pretty sure there are fish in there and plenty of open camping spots during the week.

Nancy Lake just past Wasilla is another spot, been a long time since I was there so I can't remember what the camping setup is like.

Kings River and Moose Creek on the Glenn, but they may be a little more than a hour from Eagle River.

A few good spots on the back side of Hatcher Pass, but never fished the creek/river that's there so not sure about the fishing (I'm not talking about the little Su on the Palmer side, I'm talking about the creek/river on the other side after you ascend the pass).

Those are a good start, I think the one just before Palmer should be an easy one during the week. Good luck man, I loved camping and fishing when I was a kid.

Phish - There's a great little spot that we took Silas to last year - I'll send you a PM when I've got a few more moments to spare.

Default just take them

somewhere. It's worth the mosquito bites, the changing diapers on logs, and rough water they cross with you. Let them help carry wood, or anything else. My daughter went everywhere with us last year 21/2 yrs old. I had a kelty kid carrier and we would go over miles of tussocks and up on mountains. (good training and conditioning for dad) She helped (as much as she could separating eggs and heads) with cutting fish and then packing the hearts and tongues during 'bou season. Consequently, the other day when her little friend was over and they were playing princess dress up, my daughter was elated to see me walking in with the dog and two plucked drakes. Her pal didn't care to get dirty, but my daughter proceeded to dispose of the entrails and put the livers, hearts, and gizzards in the crock as I handed them to her. She then asked when we were going camping and if we could go fishing so she could have fish heads and eggs.

the more they go the more they enjoy and expect time outdoors. The more we as parents feel obligated to please our kids. It works for me. What I'm saying is don't let yourself be limited. Kids will have fun as long as you are with them and having fun. They will be better off for it, and in the long run you will have many more fond memories.
    Last edited by rugger; 06-05-2009 at 01:45. Reason: little detail

Dad and Mom used to take me everywhere from moose hunting on the Denali to crabing in Homer, snow machinin at Big lake and grayling fishing at Tangle lakes. Some of it I don't remember cause I was so small...but I got the pics. One trip for moose on the Denali Dad and I set up camp 10 maybe 15 miles in, that evening he told me we should pee a perimiter around our camp to keep the wolves away...hehe... I don't think I peed so much in my life .

Granate and six mile creeks have nice camp grounds just the other side of Turnagain pass, don't know about fishing, but you can pan for some color.

That is the Kepler Bradley campground by Palmer. Eklutna is another option, nice long easy traile to push an off road stroller too, or drag em in a trailer behind a bike. Could even take whelers up there on certain days I think. Hatchers is another option. Kids love chasing around ground squirels. Of course the last two don't offer the fishing, but wondering around the mountains isn't a bad trade either.

Default Rocky Lake

Try Rocky lake campground off big lake Road.

Thumbs up Eagle River Campground

You are in luck. You don't have to travel far. There is a campground right beside the Prison and the Tony Knowles Dumpgrounds. It is right on the river, so you can easily walk to the fishing and still see your pop-up. It is on the south side of river, east of the Glenn Hwy, signs will point you in the direction you need to go.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Brian, any time for that PM yet?

We went to South Rolly Lake after being horribly disappointed with the camping at Willow Creek.

I think we are buying a travel trailer. Anyone want a good deal on a pop up? I hate to spend more dough but the kids had a blast and a travel trailer would be great. I wouldn't have to load up all the stuff every time.

I could fill the fridge with beer, ...er..., food, and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post

We went to South Rolly Lake after being horribly disappointed with the camping at Willow Creek.

I think we are buying a travel trailer. Anyone want a good deal on a pop up? I hate to spend more dough but the kids had a blast and a travel trailer would be great. I wouldn't have to load up all the stuff every time.

Yeah, yeah...sheesh, a guy goes away for a few days, spends a day at home planning for another trip, and gets an earful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, yeah...sheesh, a guy goes away for a few days, spends a day at home planning for another trip, and gets an earful.
    Forum admin isn't allowed to take trips. Didn't you get the memo?

I think we are buying a travel trailer. Anyone want a good deal on a pop up? ...
    What type of pop-up? I might be interested.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

trailer?

hmmmmm

i will re think my camping suggetions.... traier would be like the exe. suite.... for us..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Eklutna...nice place for walks, great for kids.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Eklutna is a decent place.

Hope is another and there's plenty of fishing holes around there to take small, light fly rods. I found a few this past weekend up in the hills.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.