Thread: Clam Cleaning Question

Default Clam Cleaning Question

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, not sure where I should do this but...
    I found a video through this website last year, it was a "how to" youtube video on cleaning razor clams. I've searched this website, youtube, all of em', and just can't find it.
    It was posted by an Alaskan and it was very, very well done. There are other clam cleaning videos on youtube but are not of the same quality.

The video is narrated, and filmed by the same guy who cleans them. His face is never shown. It begins with him boiling clams on a coleman stove and putting them in ice water immediately after. It was very detailed and specific. Does this ring any bells?? Sorry I can't be more helpful but if anyone thinks they know which video this is, please post the link!

Thanks

It was on the Alaska Outdoor Journal site. It's still there.

This is the video you are looking for.

Default boiling

Boiling is by far the best method for cleaning them up. THE biggest key to reducing cleaning time is to NOT break the little guy up when you dig or gun him up...

I tried boiling the broken ones last weekend and there was minimal difference between just using a knife and boiling - it does help a little bit to free them from the shell.

We dump into cold fresh water after they POP open. Then we have three more people in line if available. The boiler is the best position to have - it allows maximum consumption of cold drinks than the gutter/splitter or cleaners.

1 gutter who also clips siphon ends and splits the siphons open, pulls the gills, separates siphons from digger/skirts, then throws them into a bowl of water.

Water guy #1 - cleans the remaining black stuff off, and all the sand that he can and places into another bucket of water

Water guy #2 - cleans up any remaining nasties and puts in gallon bag

When we get home we do one final rinse and then grind the siphons - siphons get bagged separate from digger/skirts. We vac pak into 3/4 pound bags -

Have bagged 42 pounds of clam meat this year...in 3 trips.

Default Boiling

We find that by boiling them, semi cooks them and then they are tough.

We take the back of the knife and slide it down each side of the clam,
    disengaging the brown slimy side from the shell.
    Then cut the front muscles on each side using the knife blade.

Then slide the knife blade very easily down each side to break loose
    the clam sides. There are 2 points that are scarcely attached.

Then turn the clam around so the head is facing away and push the
    knife along the shell and clam cutting the rear muscle on each side.
    The first cut will open up the clam easily.
    Make sure you cut clear through the muscle on each side and the clam
    will fallout in your hand.
    We do this in water and then clean up any more slimy material around
    the neck,

There is also a video on Bob Balls site, piscatorialpursuits.com/cleaningclams.htm

Default Tough Clams

Never boil the clams, unless you like tough clams. Soak them in cold freshwater overnight, then use a spoon to slide along the edge, working your way down to muscle at the bottom, the clam will fall out of the shell. The freshwater breaks down clam meat so do not over soak, I find clams done this way to be much better tablefare and I fry the siphons up too.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

reading this thread made me hungry^^
    sevenmag

Default boil away

I always boil and have never had a tough clam. just do a few at a time and take out as soon as they pop open. it just takes a few seconds just make sure the water is at a high boil.

A quick dip in boiling water then immediately put them in ice water will do the trick and avoid tough clam meat.

If you do not put them in ice water right after the boil bath, they will continue to cook and will get tough.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    Never boil the clams, unless you like tough clams. Soak them in cold freshwater overnight, then use a spoon to slide along the edge, working your way down to muscle at the bottom, the clam will fall out of the shell. The freshwater breaks down clam meat so do not over soak, I find clams done this way to be much better tablefare and I fry the siphons up too.
    Exactly, after you dig them stop at a freshwater creek along the beach or highway, fill your clam container enough to cover the clams and drive home. The clams will not die right away (takes a few hours) and will purge themselves of sand. When you get home the clams will have relaxed, popped open, and separate from the shell very easily. I use a pair of scissors to process them. You can get very quick with scissors. I can easily process a clam in well under a minute. I haven't viewed the video, what does he use?

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the help, that was the video I was looking for.

Also, I've been told to submerge clams in cold, fresh water in a bucket, and then pour in Cornmeal. The clams syphon the cornmeal through their system as if it was sand, and this makes the cleaning process easier. Is there any truth to this? Anyone tried it? Thanks again

You would want to use salt water and keep them cold to do this. It keeps the clams alive and thier digestive systems working. Fresh water will shock the clams and they die in a few hours. Kept alive in a container they get hungry and eat the cornmeal. It enters their digestive systems and displaces the clam chit already in there. Thing to do if you like to eat your clams whole. Me, I like to dump the guts. Good luck.

Thumbs up Cornmeal

Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    Thanks for all the help, that was the video I was looking for.

Also, I've been told to submerge clams in cold, fresh water in a bucket, and then pour in Cornmeal. The clams syphon the cornmeal through their system as if it was sand, and this makes the cleaning process easier. Is there any truth to this? Anyone tried it? Thanks again
    Cornmeal works great, they will push nearly all the sand out and replace it with the cornmeal.

The way I did it, was put the clams in a cooler with fresh ice water, and a box of cornmeal. Next morning process the clams.
    -Caleb-