Thread: probable change in k-bay tanner regs

Exclamation probable change in k-bay tanner regs

looks pretty likely that the season starter will be moved up to at least august 15, maybe september 1.
    F&G HAS to do a trawl survey before they can open it, and due to the early date they are compelled to sample when the crabs are very soft, and mortality is too high. by moving the opener up (sept 1 is more in line with the local AC's original recommendation) they will be able to put off the survey until the crabs have hardened somewhat.
    i think this will come about this year, i will post more when i hear more...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default What a bummer!

Dave that's too bad. I have the lagoon overlook cabin rented for August 3-6th. Last year we got lucky and had it the weekend after the season opener.What a blast and plenty of crabs. Set the pots on the way over and check them every day.
    I kinda like to get these critters during the summer as I don't boat much during the winter months.
    Something else I would like to see them change is the possession limit. The way it is now you are only allowed one days limit of unpreserved crabs in your possession.
    Was planning on bringing some crabs to coal point this year for freezer storage while we are staying in the lagoon. Kind of a bummer for those coming from other areas for a few days of fishing and crabbing to not be allowed to take home a couple of days limit without them being frozen.
    Thanks for the info and keep us posted. CHRIS

Why so late? last year it opened on July 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Why so late? last year it opened on July 15th.
    Second line in Dave's post says it all.

F&G HAS to do a trawl survey before they can open it, and due to the early date they are compelled to sample when the crabs are very soft, and mortality is too high.

Not complaining or arguing. If there is anyone i would trust its Dave. I am just a bit bummed as i will be up July 14-23 and was hoping to see my buddy pull a crab trap. Without a doubt we need to put the rescource first!

Default crabbies

It will probably help sustain the numbers, why hammer those guys before they are full anyways, it was a bit of a mess out in the trench off the Islands during the heavy traffic times last summer....I bet a few pots were lost from people trying to pull who didn't know what the were doing and getting things tangled....I can happily wait until Sept!

Looks like a tactic to limit the user group to locals

Exclamation no, homer, it's not.

it is a decision based on sound resource management and conservation of the stock.
    if the trawl survey kills too many crab. and the early opener kills some shorts (crab that are soft are vulnerable to rough handling, even in a pot fishery), and the crab that are being harvested are not in optimum condition, why would it make sense to leave the season the way it is?

Why not sample via pots? It's my understanding that sampling in SE is done with pots.

homerdave,
    how and when did they do the survey last year? are the crabs molting at a different time this year? why wasn't the survey done yet? I am for protecting the resource, but a winter only season is pretty much for locals only.

F&G used to do fall surveys before the tanner season was instituted, so the crab numbers that initiated the season were from a fall survey.
    now that thee is a fall season, the survey has to be done before the opener, and it was just wrapped up last week.
    i don't know for sure why the sampling is not done with pots, but likely time and budget constraint are major factors.
    there is a pot survey for dungies supposed to happen in august, and with luck we may see a season for them in the near future (but not this year).

thanks for the info dave. most of us just want a chance to crab a few times before winter. last year I think we caught about 6 in 3 trips.

Is this going to effect the sports fishing area for the rest of Northern Cook Inlet or only Subsistence for Kachemack Bay. Its a pretty large area and alot of folks don't really know about it. Read Page 62 and then look at the Map on Page 12 and 56. There is alot of open water to crab. I didn't know of it until I went into the Office in Anchorage and asked alot of questions. I was planning to crab out of Seward.

Exclamation clarification....

any reg change will NOT affect this year.
    because the opening date is in the regs, it has to go through the BOF for change. the proposal will be presented out of cycle at the next meeting.
    in season management can still be dealt with by EO if need be, but the opening cannot be changed that way.
    as for pot surveys, though they can be used to determine relative catch rates in areas with commercial pot fisheries, they are not comprehensive enough to do abundance surveys.
    there may be areas in SE where they use pot surveys where a trawl won't work, especially for golden king crab, but abundance surveys are almost always trawls because pots won't give an idea of immature and sub legal crab on the grounds.

OK i am confused. Nothing new there. What are the dates for this summer/fall?

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    abundance surveys are almost always trawls because pots won't give an idea of immature and sub legal crab on the grounds.
    Why is this? I know that I have caught plenty of sub-legal crab in pots...I'm not sure what your definition of immature it.

i am only relating what i was told by the shellfish bio in charge ... i would assume that VERY small crabs would not ALL come up with a pot...

Default Winter or spring testing.

Just curious as to why they can't do a survey well before the season opener?
    I'm talking late winter or early spring before molting season. This would still give them data from the current year and would allow the season opener to remain the same without hurting so many crabs.
    I realize ADF&G is going to do what they feel is best for this fishery but it seems that by Sept 1st most people are done for the season and beginning to winterize their boats.At least most fisherman are not going to go but once or twice after Sept 1st.
    It always annoys me when they open fisheries or hunting seasons when the least amount of people are able or willing to participate. Kind of like the PWS crab fisheries that don't open until October. I've heard that the sound can be very nasty that time of year and very few boats go out.