Thread: Red run

Default Red run

What is the best run of reds?The June run or the second run at the end of July?What is the dates for the peak of each run?

Default Which river?

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    What is the best run of reds?The June run or the second run at the end of July?What is the dates for the peak of each run?
    Which river are you looking for?

I'm assuming that you're referring to the Russian, as that is one of the few rivers that has a good run in June. The exception is the Copper, of course, in which case I'll have to defer to others.

If you're referring to the Russian - both the June and July run can be great. The June run seems to be over a bit faster, while some July fish will hang out in the river well into August and just sit in their holes - the June fish seem to jet right through a bit faster. I've never caught a blushed fish in June, but by late July some will be downright red. Pressure falls off considerably in late July and early August, but you can still find some solitude in June. So...they're both great! As for the peak, you can find the statistical peak on ADF&G's website. It can vary widely from year to year, though. I almost always do well on opening day, but generally I'd say the fishing is solid from June 15-25 and again from July 20-August 5th.