Thread: Talkeetna Trails

Default Talkeetna Trails

We are headed to Talkeetna in a couple weekends to ride around some of the trails and maybe make get to Clear Creek for some fishing. Does anyone know where trail heads are located for some good riding (a.k.a. mud and/or scenery) or getting up to Clear Creek? We are moderate to advanced riders and can handle probably any trail conditions. Thanks!

We have a cabin on Clear Creek. If you cross the bridge and follow the tracks to the gravel pit, go to the far end of the gravel pit and the trail goes up the hill and into the woods. It is not a "recreational trail", simply an access trail and it is only wide enough for one machine with trees on both sides. To get to Clear Creek, when the trail forks (it will 4 times) you go right, left, right, left. I have a GPS track that I can send you if you PM me that will give you a more visual representation. This puts you some miles up from the mouth, though, so if you're looking to get to the mouth by trail wait and see if someone who knows a trail for that responds.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thanks for the response Dee. I know the trail you are talking about - I have been back to my buddy's cabin on Clear Creek during the winter. I was hoping to get to the mouth of Clear Creek - any other trails people know of?

No realistic trails to the mouth.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    No realistic trails to the mouth.
    Isn't it time to start making one? Seriously, it is legal to cut your own trail on State Property. Just respect the private property. The fish guides will go ballistic, but hey there are too few good places to ride an ATV in to fishing holes. The Clear Creek Trail would be a real good beginning.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Isn't it time to start making one? Seriously, it is legal to cut your own trail on State Property. Just respect the private property. The fish guides will go ballistic, but hey there are too few good places to ride an ATV in to fishing holes. The Clear Creek Trail would be a real good beginning.
    You mean like what happened to Larson Creek Trail ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You mean like what happened to Larson Creek Trail ?
    Yes. Lots of guys and gals can now ride all the way to the lake. Used to be danged near impossible to get in their. Now some can take their families. There is always room for the hardcore guys to gone on a bit further, if they want. Bottom line though, the only way for the trails to get put in, is for the users to do it. If they wait for someone else to do it for them, questions like the original post will continue to appear. And the answers will always be the same. NOPE you can't do it, cause there ain't no trail to it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Indeed it is legal.
    http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=de

Just make sure you follow the rules and leave the dozer and excavator at home.
    Last edited by LuJon; 06-09-2009 at 15:53.

Isn't it time to start making one?
    Good luck with that...LOL.. Go to the MatSu Borough website and look at the land west of the mouth of Clear Creek. 90% of it is subdivision lots all the way to the railroad. The 10% that isn't is some of the most inhospitable river lowlands around. The land on the west side of where the mouth now exits..at the "Dolly Hole" is private anyway.

Why go there anyway? It's like the mouth of the Deshka. Why 4 wheeler to where all the people are fishing already.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem