Thread: Bird houses

Default Bird houses

Anyone have any good pics of a homemade bird house that you made? Would be cool to see what forum members have built or are building. My old homemade bird house is still being visited by blue swallows, seen them checking it out the other day. Kinda nice to have swallows flying around the property and nesting in the old birdhouse.

Just went outside and took a pic of the birdhouse that I built 15 yrs ago, sure looks it's age, woulda been a better pic if the swallows were there, maybe I can get a pic of them on another day. When the weather improves I am planning on building another bird house, heard that the swallows help cut down on the mosquito population around your house. Don't know for sure though, never seen one catch a mosquito in midair.
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 08-02-2009 at 00:45.

You might want to check with Gogoalie, he made a dandy dog house a year or so ago. Might be able to use his design

Default ADF&G Guide to birdhouses

Was just googling birdhouses and found out there is a lot of info online and even a ADF&G link on building birdhouses. Here it is for anyone that is interested:

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...fg=birds.house

Would think that building birdhouses would be a good way to get kids interested in doing a lil carpentry and maybe even get them interested in amateur orinthology too. Just a thought.

Also found a birder organization here in Alaska that may be of interest to some folks, it is called: Mat-Su Birders http://www.matsubirders.org/index.html

Thumbs up

We have a couple dozen swallow boxes most of them are full. This is the most swallows we've ever had with any luck they will make our local skeeter population unsustainable, tier II mosquitoes!
    Chuck

Default hehehe King...

I did make a house & I'll spare everyone the pic as it's a work of art...if you liked my dog house, you loooove my bird house... :P

Okay now I want to see gogoalie's dog house, who has a link?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You might have to get gogoalie's help. He posted it a year or two ago, not sure if the posting still exist.

Default Am hopin...

that they're buried in the National Archives Classified section...:P

I found a house I liked online and the directions were free. I built 3 of them last year/ This year all 3 are filled up. I love hearing and seeing the swallows early in the morning
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Ok...

By Popular Demand! Here is the Chateau Le Fleury:

There are vacancies available, kitchenette, no balcony yet (perhaps why we have vacancies) 1 bathroom, a spacious living room, room for upstairs & addition mother-in-law appartment, if need be we can build...landlord is flexible, & no deposit required, 1st & last months rent will be waived upon signing lease for 3-5 months with gurantee of less mosquitos...any interested birds please call (907)555-1212
    Last edited by gogoalie; 06-08-2009 at 01:29. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    By Popular Demand! Here is the Chateau Le Fleury:

There are vacancies available, kitchenette, no balcony yet (perhaps why we have vacancies) 1 bathroom, a spacious living room, room for upstairs & addition mother-in-law appartment, if need be we can build...landlord is flexible, & no deposit required, 1st & last months rent will be waived upon signing lease for 3-5 months with gurantee of less mosquitos...any interested birds please call (907)555-1212
    Definite improvement over the canine hotel.

Those are some great birdhouses. Have a look at this one i came across.. it's made from recycled roof tiles. Created by Japanese artists.

Cosmetic Dentist Minneapolis

hmmmmm,, I can just see the hawk overhead looking down on the uncovered ones.

Gotta have a roof.

Nice idea, if all were friendly in the north.

My brother used to make swallow houses out of hollow logs, just cut them to length, drill out an entry, add a base and a flat roof. These were the most natural birdhouses I have seen so far, swallows don't even hesitate to move in as soon as they are setup. Wish I had a pic to post.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I found a house I liked online and the directions were free. I built 3 of them last year/ This year all 3 are filled up. I love hearing and seeing the swallows early in the morning
    good on ya chuck...

i am always gratefull to see swallows in the morning too... did you
    know they are the bird of true love as the dove is to peace?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here