Thread: Pinochle

Default Pinochle

Guys, are there some accessible trails out there without having to go up or down that hill that everyone talks about (Hicks Creek hill)? I don't want the folks I ride with to have to try anything that is gonna kill them!! And is the trailhead at the 93MM or so? I need a different place to ride!!! TIA.
    EricL

unless you want to just play around in the small valley near the parking area you pretty much have to climb the hill. It can be kind of hairy, I rolled down it once. not fun. Puritan is pretty close to there and you dont 'have the hicks creek hill to contend with.

Default Trailhead

The trailhead is milepost 99. On the left is a paved pullover. Go just past that and turn left, take the road about 1/4 mile, the actual trailhead is on your right. It looks like there is not much room there to park until you pull in. Private property all along the trail until you start to climb.
    Dont know what to tell you, all of the riding is past hell hill.

Thanks guys. Don't believe I want to take any greenhorns out there.
    EricL

You could take the Dan Creek trail, it takes off the Pinochle trail just after the first marshy area. I've not been there this year, but theres no gnarly hills.

We did "he!! hill" last year and the trail that goes left (going out) was really bad but the one on the right wasn't so bad. But you're right, neither side is good for newbie. If you're experienced, you could offer to ride everyone's machines down and back up. I rode down it last year but chickened out going up and asked my old man to ride it up. Another option is to have someone "spot" them- just walk next to them and be read to grab the machine if it starts to roll to counterbalance it. Being as how that's the one bad spot in the trail and the rest of it is very good, it remains on our list of trails we like.

The other comment recommending Puritan is a good one- it's the trail just before Pinochle and the entire trail is ridable. We've done that one the last two times we've ridden in the last month, made it all the way back to the beginning of Chitna pass.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    We did "he!! hill" last year and the trail that goes left (going out) was really bad but the one on the right wasn't so bad. But you're right, neither side is good for newbie. If you're experienced, you could offer to ride everyone's machines down and back up. I rode down it last year but chickened out going up and asked my old man to ride it up. Another option is to have someone "spot" them- just walk next to them and be read to grab the machine if it starts to roll to counterbalance it. Being as how that's the one bad spot in the trail and the rest of it is very good, it remains on our list of trails we like.

The other comment recommending Puritan is a good one- it's the trail just before Pinochle and the entire trail is ridable. We've done that one the last two times we've ridden in the last month, made it all the way back to the beginning of Chitna pass.
    Some good ideas. We did Boulder/Puritan last Sunday. Got to within 3 miles of Chitna Pass. Wasn't exactly sure how close we were and were running low on gas so had to turn around. We really enjoy Boulder Creek. Some great scenery back there!!
    EricL