Thread: Packrafting the Russian - June 10th

Default Packrafting the Russian - June 10th

My wife and I are going to be camping at the Russian River on the 10th-12th for the fishing opener, and I was kicking around the idea of running the Russian from the falls down to the campground in my Alpacka on the 10th. Fishing doesn't open until the 11th, so I wouldn't be disturbing anyone's fishing or running the risk of catching a hook in the face. I'll walk the river first to scout for any sweepers or strainers.

So...is there any reason that this is a bad idea? It seems like it would be a fun, fast float with just a touch of splashy water to help me hone my nascent packrafting skills.

I should clarify that I will be putting in 300 yards below the falls right where you're allowed to start fishing so as to avoid the rapids between the falls and that point. Everything downstream of that point seems fairly mellow, and I don't think I'm up to running those rapids yet.

If I was there I would so volunteer to stand by below the rapid with a line so you could run it.

I have to figure out a way to get an fijord explorer w/ spray skirt before next summer! Maybe I can convice the wife that the roof will be good for another year, and really do you think the kids "need" heaters in their rooms? I mean they can certainly get by with just an extra blanket or two...

Sounds like fun. Bring your polarized sunglasses, if it's a sunny day you will definitely see some big bows.

I've thought of doing that myself, sounds like fun. Even though I only have a bird's eye experience looking down at those rapids, I don't think it should be a problem. Getting up there and looking down for sweepers, etc is the only thing. You can get a good view on your hike up if you start out down by the RS/Grayling area.

Let us know how it goes.

Well, I was able to raft the Russian as planned, but had to settle for a shortened version of the float. We got to the campground a couple of hours later than planned. Between another couple and ourselves, we had three children in tow - two one year olds and a four year old - so things moved a bit slower than usual and we didn't hike upstream as far as I had envisioned. Still, it was a fun way to check it out. I floated from about 1/2 mile upstream of the white trail down to the Rainbow Trout campground. The river was shallower than I had anticipated, so I hit bottom a couple of times, but mostly it was a swift float with a few splashy moments to make it fun. I did take one wave over the bow at a certain point where the river funnels between two large rocks - I was pleasantly surprised at how effective the spray skirt was. It's not 100%, but I was mostly dry until I foolishly messed with the velcro while water was sitting on top. Oops! I'll definitely give this a shot again next year - next time from the top of the fishing area through the confluence, as long as a lack of sweepers will allow.

glad it worked out for the most part. thanks for the post.

Sweet gloves, Dude

Now, I want to run it as well. Maybe I'll try to back bounce a few holes in September
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Looks like fun Brian. Maybe next time our schedules will align and I could tag along in my wife's boat as hers has a spray deck. Glad to see you getting to use your raft as well. Just got done doing the last 7 miles of Jack River to the mouth. 5 miles of Windy Creek. As well as Brushkana Creek from the bridge to the mouth (very shallow and really don't think anything other than kayaks and packrafts could get down it currently as shallow as it is right now but lots of fun and lots of greyling).

Default I use the same gloves!

Best "boating gloves" I've used. Cheap too.

BTW, I enjoyed the pics.

Lanche - Very cool that you did Jack River and Brushkana. I have some great memories in those areas and would love to float them. Pictures?

Jim - Indeed. I buy those gloves for $2/pair at Trustworthy in Soldotna and use them for just about everything from yard work to boating. They're the best!

Brian,

I'll have to get some of the pics of the Brushkana and Windy Creek pics up here in a few days. Didn't bring the cam along on the Jack River float as I've done that float many many times, as a kid on inner tubes and using snow shovels for paddles.

This thread got me thinking of that area and fun trips to make. It has been a LONG time since I have been to the Quartz Creek campground down there but I remember that the creek looked packraft floatable at the campground end. I have never taken a good look at it up by the hwy. Looking at the map there is also Dave's creek that flows down and joins in with Quartz before the campground. Anyway That looks like it could be a neat quick 6 mile trip. Either put in at Quarts or Dave's off of the hwy and end up at the campground. Of course you never know with a map they may be nothing but a trickle (or a raging torrent) by the hwy. Has anyone actually looked at these creeks for a float? I am sure if it can be done it has been numerous times. I just havn't seen a report on it anywhere.