Thread: 18' 50hp boat on Chitina?

Default 18' 50hp boat on Chitina?

It has been a few years since i have been in a boat on the Chitina and last time it was a Zodiac (back in my youth). I was wondering if any one runs there Kenai boat down there? I have an 18ft aluminum habercraft with a Honda 50hp prop (i know this is not the ideal boat you can only own so many) Any info/ideas would be great. Thanks

your boat will work there....ie, the motor will push you upriver ...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs down Prop on the Copper?

I tried a couple of times, and didn't have much luck. I drug my prop no matter how careful I was (at the confluence of the Copper and Chitina. ) It's really shallow water there, and a pretty bad place to get stuck. If you could launch at Obrien Creek, a prop would be fine with deep water all the way to Haley Creek. Let us know how you do.

another option is fishing above the bridge with the subsistence permit (different than the personal use permit)

I saw a couple prop boats fishing above the bridge last year to avoid going down through the tough section described above

a lot of props run the copper....there is a lot of water below the bridge, plenty for a prop.....there are a few spots even jets will hit but you'd have to get caught not paying attention....

if you are even mildly confident in your ability to stay away from the shallow water, you'll be fine...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....