Thread: Getting rid of stumps

Default Getting rid of stumps

Anyone have any idea of how to get stumps to start dying/rotting so I can yank them out in a few years??
    Buzzy

Default Get a brace and bit

and bore some holes in the tops of the stumps. The water trapped in the holes will accelerate the decomposition process. I believe I've also seen some kind of material to pour in the holes to speed things up, I don't know if it works or not. Some folks also try to burn 'em out, more drilling and some kerosene. There's alway dynamite!

Cut the tree and the stump starts rotting. A come-along, a logging chain, and a handyman jack work really well to pull stumps. A chain saw with an old bar to cut dirty roots helps, too. I pulled lots of green stumps on my property. If you're cutting the tree, try cutting several feet off the ground to leave a tall stump. It'll give you some leverage when pulling the stump with a come-along.

After you bore the holes in the stumps fill'em with ammonia nitrate!!!!

!!! Dinomite!!!!:d

Teh small ones I just dig and cut with an axe, then the comealong will pulle them easily. The big multiple birch out of a single stump I use spruce to burn it out. I will dig the stump out as best I can and then build a fire under it. I just keep adding spruce untill it burns the thing out, you don't need a big fire to do this though it is faster that way <grin>. In all cases doing this has burned all of the organic material out from under the stump leaving the roots full exposed. From there you caneither keep burning or just chop it out. The beater bar on a saw isn't a bad idea too just be very careful! Hitting a rock can lead to sawing your leg up in a flash!

This wsa an article I orginally wrote for BackHome Magazine then put it in our old Frontier Freedom Magazine Pulling Stumps. It works pretty good I've pulled dozen this way.
    Chuck

If you want to let time do the work instead of yourself, then take the tip of the bar of your chainsaw and slowly work it a few inches deep into the stump. Then repeet until you have groves all across the surface of the stump. If you can make sure not to hit the sides it will work better. You want the water to pool in these groves. Then when you are done cover the top of the stump with salt. The salt will help pull moisture out of the stump. Be careful not to spread the salt around the stump or it will kill the plants. The constant wet dry cycle will begin to rot the stump after a few years. then you can pull it with less work, or you can fill the groves with used motor oil, let soak over night then build a fire under/around the stump. A small fire under the stump is better than a big fire around the stump. If you decide to pull it now or in a few years, hiline's method works well, I have used it several times, but I also add a comealong to the equasion. Good luck.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Depending on the size of the tree and it's location this can work. I've done it on trees up to 6 inches in diameter.

Get a heavy nylon rope about 100 feet long. It has to be very strong and it has to be nylon so that its stretches a lot before it breaks.

Tie it to the tree as high as possible. Climb up and tie is some place pretty high up, like 15-20 feet. The higher up you get it, the better the leverage, as long as you don't break the top off.

Wait for a wet period when the soil is pretty saturated.

Tie the other end of the rope to a big truck...I used my old beater 3/4 ton crew cab the last time.

Clear everyone out of the way and yank that tree out roots and all. We cleared a pretty big patch this way and had no stumps to deal with.

Now, if you already have a stump you can hire one of the stump grinding guys to grind it down to nothing.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

A shovel and sawzall with 10-12" wide tooth blade will do the trick on spruce. Even small birch/cottonwood.
    I used a 5 pack of dewalt blades ($20) to do 7 spruce stumps.

Packing the sawzall blade seat and other key reciprocating areas with dabs (dabs....not squirts) of gear lube before cutting made for easy cleanup and blocked dirt from the housing. Toss the blade or resharpen with goggles and dremel

Willows and large cottonwood are a different story. Most services want to poison your cottonwood stumps due to the amount of feeders and average size.

Some local tree services grind stumps at $6.50 per inch (diameter)

Now I can get rid of them dern stumps! and anything else in the way. CN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks for the input!!

Thanks for all your ideas guys...sounds like I need to drag a Handyman jack out this winter!! A couple of the big birch stumps have already been down a couple years so hopefully that will help.Thanks again...Buzz
    Buzzy