Thread: Koyukuk or Beaver Creek?

Default Koyukuk or Beaver Creek?

The wife, Buffy, and I are planning a float trip in our SOAR 16 in mid-June. She wants to do the South Fork of the Koyukuk down to the Yukon and I like to try Beaver Creek to the Yukon bridge. Anybody done the South Fork of Koyukuk and know what conditions are like in that first part before it slows down? Or anybody know how hard the first part of Beaver Creek is when you put in on Nome Creek?
    tanks

Wink

did them both many times... Do the beaver creek float...unless u got 3 months of free time.... fish wheels don't even work on the k-yuk the water is that slow...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    did them both many times... Do the beaver creek float...unless u got 3 months of free time.... fish wheels don't even work on the k-yuk the water is that slow...
    The south fork is not slow at the Dalton Bridge. Where does it slow down? I have canoed from Bettles to Allekakett and it wasn't slow there either. Must be slow down by Huslia.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

The Koyukuk, never all that fast, starts slowing quite a bit after Hughes, especially before, through, and after the big bend of Cutoff Slough. Depending on water levels, weather, paddling effort, etc, it takes around 2.5 to 3 weeks to paddle from the Dalton Highway to the Yukon River.