Thread: My oil smells like gasoline

Default My oil smells like gasoline

I finally got around to changing out my 2007 Yam 75 oil and I noticed a gasoline odor, it was fairly strong - enough to notice with my face 3 feet away from the drip pan I was using.

I dont believe its supposed to smell like that, I took a sample and am planning on bringing it to the mechanic at Deweys (where I bought it) for a sniff test.

It runs just fine though, I'm no expert but I believe for it to smell that gassy I'd have to blown a ring - which I would think would make it run crappy.

Any ideas?

Default how full was the crankcase

Did you check the dipstick before draining the motor? Was it over full? Did you try to ignite a small quantity of the oil? Is the oil runny or thin?

Have you been idling alot lately or slow speed?
    How old is the thermostat?
    Change the oil and do not fill full. About 3/4 is good to see if you are making oil.
    Make sure you run the engine hard every so often to get it hot enough to burn the gas out of the oil when you are idling/slow speed.
    It is all over the net about the making oil in 4-strokes.

Is it fuel injected? If so you might have a leaky injector.sitting all winter the fuel from a leaky injector will find its way to the crank case and build over time....

I am not 100% sure of this, but I think it is pretty normal to have some fuel in the oil. As I recall when I have had oil tested in the past they will report on the amount of fuel that is in the oil. If the amount is excessive, it is an indicator that the motor is running too rich.

Jim

Default concur

I concur w/ both Badrive and Drdave!

These big engines aren't made for running long periods @ low RPMs, and I could see how a fuel injector may leak down thru the cyl. (long storage)

research "making oil" on the IBOATS.com forum.

put some fresh oil & filter in it and go have fun

Thanks! I was pretty worried there for a bit.

I'll note the amount of oil from the end of the dipstick using a tape measure to allow me to know exactly if its making oil.

SJX

If an engine is hard to start, it could be flooding the engine as you try to start it. In a 4-stroke engine the gasoline in flooded engine's makes it way into the oil. Which creates a lean fuel mixture(too much gas not enough oil) So if your engine was hard to start before the oil change it could have been flooded(I'd recomend changeing it if flooding does happen especially in 4-strokes). I know that it's best to change the oil just after the last run of the season. A lean mixture in all gasolines engines can potentally cause piston damage. Which leads to poor engine performance due to unburnt fuel (while running) beacuse of damaged pistons.

Default what engine?

I am not trying to promote another forum, but. If you google "The Hull Truth" and do a search about four stroke outboards "making oil" you will find lots of interesting information. I run my four stroke engines a little less then full on the oil dip stick. So far I have never "made oil".