Thread: Broke the Ice -- finally!

Talking Broke the Ice -- finally!

My buddy and I set up a bear bait station over 200 miles from home with the intent to "get away" from others; we had the station set up 01May and have been itching to get our first bear every day. After it got hit by a ginormous beautiful brownie, we were worried about a blackie even being able to patrol the area, but as luck would have it, I make a suicide run the other night to the stand. Approached my stand at 2200 hrs and saw that my camera was chewed on, and that the bait was hit. I perused the trail cam pix and saw that a nice blackbear was on the bait earlier that morning. I climbed up in my stand and did a honey burn for 1 hour. Man, that sure smoked/smelled up the area! I heard sticks breaking all around me (moose? bears? who knows?) and caught a glimpse of a blackbear about a hundred yards from the stand. I didn't wait for him to come in to the bait, and gave him the old .300RUM in the ticker. As I approached him I second guessed myself why I didn't hold out for a bruiser and Why did I shoot the first bear I saw? As I put my hands on him, the hide more than made up for the 5' size; thicker than thick. I'm talking major furball and then some! Gorgeous specimine! I was/am stoked! Now I gotta hold out for a cinnamon one with my bow. Not wanting to feed the skeeters and jack up a hide in a rush being worried about the brownies, I managed to get my bear on my shoulders (without skinning it) and stumbled all the way to the truck. Must have been a spectacle to see me like that. After 10 steps I thought, "I can't do this", then I thought about training for sheep; fourth quarter! As hard as it was, it pales in comparison to the 3 moose I've packed out solo. I wanted to share the experience skinning and cleaniing with my 8-year-old son; that's why I brought him in whole. Good luck to everyone's patience and perseverance on the bait this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default just my thoughts

Dude, I am so jealous, who cares that it is a 5', you get 3 tags a year up there--use em!!!

Thumbs up

Nice bear and your son will appreciate you bringing it home whole to share with him.

Nice bear!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

good looking bear!!! i would be worried about setting my tree on fire

i have never done a burn the pot has not tipped over when that stuff really gets going... so i always leave it on the top of the steel drum.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Question honey burn

Yea, I had a lot of attention focused on the honey burn so it wouldn't spill on my Kenetreks. QUESTION FOR YOU SEASONED HONEY BURN DUDES: do you burn the substance until it's black and crispy or just until you can pour it on the bait? I burned it until it was crispy (until it stopped smoking), but the last 15 minutes of smoke went from sweet smelling to "burnt" smelling and I don't know if it was detrimental or not. What do you guys do?

Default burn it

at the end it smells like roasting marshmellows. Smoke is pretty strong and thick, but as it gets further away the better it smells. The honey burn is the only reason I got my first bear 11 years ago! Bait had not been yet that year. The bear walked right in on us still on the ground and in a white T-shirt. .357 smith and wesson dropped that bear! Congrats on a nice hide!

beautiful job and congrats.

Talking Grats!

Sweet looking bear!

Nice to hear the time and effort spent paid off.

Nice blackie.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default honey, congrats!!

I smoke it yet still pourable... works for me...
    i had to pack one of mine out too that way. work out, but worth it!!

I do molasses burns. They smell 1000X better and stronger.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Smile

being the buddy on the same bait stand and seeing this sucker personally, im jelous he got the first one and the hide is absolutly THICK, looks straight out of his den. I'm glad the ice is broke, Hopefully have a few more pictures this weekend of whacked blacks. Good luck fellas, man thats a pretty bear, good job dude!