Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willow Creek Update?

Default Willow Creek Update?

I may go out to Willow Creek this weekend..Anyone have a report? And if ya do, live in the Wasilla area, and want to pound some salmon, then you
    may be invited!

Fishing is Dead- I've fished there the past fews days and didn't even see a fish roll. This year is turning out to be something close to piss poor year.

The trout are there and with a few kings coming in things should heat up.

Default X5

Ive been down the willow 5 times this year already. A few trout but that is it! I fished the mouth on monday and left the raft at home. I spent 3 hours and did not see a fish role or any hits.

If you go let me know how you did. I think I am taking the wife greyling fishing this weekend on the clear water tribs to the nenana.

I did manage to hang my first king last night on the little su. I again left the raft at home and just walked the bank.

My brother and I went up to Willow yesterday (Tuesday) and fished for about 5 hours last night downstream from the highway down 1 mile or so, never saw anything salmon or otherwise, Tried almost every lure in the box without a single hit. Hopefully it's just early.

I stopped by yesterday on the way home and fished for a couple of hours. We saw no rolls, no fish, no fish caught, and the blood on the table was superdry.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Willow

I fished the Willow this morning. Got there about 6:30. Saw one guy carrying a small king out. Thought it'd be good. Fished for about 3 hours and saw 2 hookups and 1 fish brought to the bank. Headed to Susitna Landing. Didn't fish there, because I asked the lady working there if there were any fish. She said it was pretty dead. So tried my luck at Sheep Creek slough. Saw someone at the parking lot with a small king. So, I fished and caught a log, but nothing else... Well, it was my first day out for kings, and even though I didn't catch anything, it sure beats sitting at home or being stuck in an office all day! Soon.....fish on!

Thank you for all the replies. I've been going bonkers waiting for the kings to come into the MatSu area. I can't wait to catch my first one!

My cousin and I have a planned trip to Montana Creek third weekend of this month if the Kings are in! I'll definitely post pics...Thanks, once again, feller fishin' folk. You guys are great.

Anyone been up that way recently?
    I'm going up tonight for the evening and need to figure out where to go.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rentalman View Post
    Anyone been up that way recently?
    I'm going up tonight for the evening and need to figure out where to go.

Thanks!
    well you'll have plenty of time to watch for fishing rolling while you wait for the fishing to open back up on the 20th. bring a sleeping bag.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    well you'll have plenty of time to watch for fishing rolling while you wait for the fishing to open back up on the 20th. bring a sleeping bag.
    bummer... I missed something, when did it close?

I dunno....maybe read the regs?

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati.../SCsusitna.pdf

Willow Creek drainage flowing waters (see map on page 26)
    From its mouth upstream to the ParksParks Highwayay:
    • This section is open to fishing for all species, including king salmon, January 1–June 15, June 20–22, June 27–29, and July 4–6. Daily limits for king salmon are: 20” or longer 1 per day/1 in possession, less than 20” 10 per day/10 in possession. Bag/possession limits for other species follow the general limits on page 25.
    • This section is closed to all fishing June 16–19, June 23–26, June 30–July 3, and July 7–13.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I dunno....maybe read the regs?

oh.. how embarrasing... That's pretty well spelled out isn't it..

Thanks folks..

Anyone hear a nasty little rumor about a close down on all the parks hwy streams for Kings?

rumors.......i've heard them too. I believe F&G meets on Wednesday nights, so just like the Deshka closure, we might see something in the paper tomorrow. Sure hope not!

Default Just rumors

Ignore any rumors about further king closures. It won't happen this weekend. The weekend only is in place to allow escapement.

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    rumors.......i've heard them too. I believe F&G meets on Wednesday nights, so just like the Deshka closure, we might see something in the paper tomorrow. Sure hope not!
    F&G management works 5-7 days a week its not like they just choose to meet weds nights. They do however try to issue EOs with enough time for the weekend warriors to change/make plans. Because willow creek is an enhanced fishery it would suprise me if they closed it, also they don't really have much in season data on king escapement
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Willow

Anybody been scouting lately? See any signs of kings rolling? Can't decide whether to stay up here this weekend or head south. I've caught some reds, but no kings yet...

Default EO's

Here is the EO link...
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...2DSouthcentral

I have heard that Sheep Creek is warming up...that is where I am headed possibly tonight....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast